Is the G-word racist?

caleykid1994

None of this actually makes any sense. The C*unty fans object to being called Gypsies. But it's highly unlikely that they are Gypsies. So what are they offended at? Isn't it being racist of *them* to object to the name? If someone called me Chinese, I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But LG, surely the whole point is, few, if any County supporters are actually gypsies,its just generic banter,for officials of the club to get involved in discussions and talk of bannings is absurd in the extreme.To the best of my knowledge most ICT supporters i ken haven't actually had any liasons wi sheep so shouldn't get to upset at the songs,in turn, i'll not take being a pikey jute mink personally :lol:

Most of us use inflatable sheep now, H/Dee.... much more hygienic... :023:

Nobody has once said that any County fan has taken objection to being called a Gypsy...which is what makes this all the more absurd.

Ah, misunderstood centralbelters earlier comment:

The club are in a difficult situation on this one as, they have received official compaints following the last county game for some of the chants. This means the club are being investigated and could be facing a large fine.

Even more bizarre then.

I think too much emphasis has been put on the word Gypsy.

Going back to the first game against Dunfermiline the fans were great,(bar the slagging for our backup goalie) a good turnout and lots of songs.

The County game ? Of all the songs that could have been sung about our team, our club, Inverness, or the players to egg them on, what was chanted over and over again?? dirty Gypsy bar stewards, dirty Gypsy bar stewards.

Do you think that Mike Smith is actually a gypsy and is not wanting the truth to come out?

This is the type of nonsense that puts me off going to Caley games. The big wigs at the club are just complete idiots

Its all just a bit of banter and is all forgotten about at the end of the game. Has any fan ever been offended by some songs that the opposition have sung? I very much doubt it

I think too much emphasis has been put on the word Gypsy.

Going back to the first game against Dunfermiline the fans were great,(bar the slagging for our backup goalie) a good turnout and lots of songs.

The County game ? Of all the songs that could have been sung about our team, our club, Inverness, or the players to egg them on, what was chanted over and over again?? dirty Gypsy bar stewards, dirty Gypsy bar stewards.

right, we need to get back to supporting our team. The atmosphere at any game this season will not top the pars game. And this sunday will either be the shot in the arm that the team needs or the nailin the coffin of our season (maybe premature).

Nobody has once said that any County fan has taken objection to being called a Gypsy...which is what makes this all the more absurd.

christ what a bunch of thick twats calling someone a gypsy is not racist being derogatry about them is. The fact that so few of you have sussed that the club has been reported because fans are chanting racist comments about gypsies as defined by the discrimination act and could end up getting fined seems beyond you, just because the ross county fans are not Gypsies does not make it ok to say Dirty gypsy ******** because the chant is saying gypsies are dirty ******** and as has already been pointed out you wouldn't use the same chant by replacing gypsy with black because you know that is racist. so the absurd thing is, that people I thought had a bit of inteligence can not see why it is racist to use the chant in the first place and seem to think shouting out negative things will make our team play better.

Iv just watched QI and Bill Bailey said Gypsy at least 4 times within a minute.

I suspect Mike Smith shall be phoning Dave headquaters and suggesting a beep tone to be played in the repeats.

christ what a bunch of thick twats calling someone a gypsy is not racist being derogatry about them is. The fact that so few of you have sussed that the club has been reported because fans are chanting racist comments about gypsies as defined by the discrimination act and could end up getting fined seems beyond you, just because the ross county fans are not Gypsies does not make it ok to say Dirty gypsy ******** because the chant is saying gypsies are dirty ******** and as has already been pointed out you wouldn't use the same chant by replacing gypsy with black because you know that is racist. so the absurd thing is, that people I thought had a bit of inteligence can not see why it is racist to use the chant in the first place and seem to think shouting out negative things will make our team play better.

What I find rather amazing is that we have so many first time posters with apparent inside knowledge of the facts pertaining to what complaints have allegedly been made. A more cynical person might think the club had a direct hand in all these new members stepping up to defend them!!!

people I thought had a bit of inteligence can not see why it is racist to use the chant in the first place and seem to think shouting out negative things will make our team play better.

I guess then, that whenever you stub your toe you dont shout out 'AH YA F***er', or when someone cuts you up on the road you dont call out 'SILLY T***' then? I say this, because the only time I ever hear anyone shout something negative is when people are frustrated enough to do just that as a knee-jerk reaction to something negative (barring of course the idiot sat a few rows behind me on saturday). Its not like the players are booed when coming out because we think it's reverse psychology!

Furthermore, if the intellegence at the club to ban these chants is so great, then why the hell have they not banned chants containing the word Gypsy before a complaint was made? Surely someone with that much intellegence would forsee it? Or would it perhaps be because no-one ever gave a hoot (including those who are chanted at) because it's all part of the football atmosphere? And why only the word Gypsy? Why not chants containing references to beastiality, incest, facism, gender etc etc??? In fact why not ban all chants supporting our own team too, because ultimately our opposing fans may well complain that we're trying to boost our player to gain some sort of unfair advantage!

If I wanted to be dictated to and not get involved, i'd subscribe to ESPN and watch premier league highlights with commentry. If I want to get involved, get behind my team, get banter with the opposition and chant away then I'll go to a game... its as simple as that

What I find rather amazing is that we have so many first time posters with apparent inside knowledge of the facts pertaining to what complaints have allegedly been made. A more cynical person might think the club had a direct hand in all these new members stepping up to defend them!!!

Ok I am being cynical I believe this is someone from the club and his opening line sums the contempt they hold the fans in "christ what a bunch of thick twats" perhaps we are but more and more are getting wise to the crap you serve up to the fans and less and less are going as you destroy the matchday experience. It also sums up to me how the club treat the supporters trust with the same contempt when they trust members bother to go down to a meeting with the club, come away feeling there is not an issue yet on matchday there is an issue. Get some football people in running the club and maybe just maybe its not to late to turn things around because at present its a disaster.

And as for any 'racist' abuse to Lionel, what a load of tosh. He was booed because he was rubbish not becasue he was black. He would have been booed in the last county game no matter if he was white, black, green whatever but some people are so touchy and think you cant boo or give any stick to someone if they are black. Some people really need to get a life, who actually complained over this?

Again on sunday lets get as many people as possible singing the usual county songs and not a thing will happen if a lot of people join in. Its only if there are one or two people singing it that they will then go and pick on the smallest kid in the group.

I kinda think that section G is to be targeted no matter what the other parts of the grounds sing/shout.

Kinda get that impression aswell, but f*ck it, why should we back down to the PC Brigade?

Anyone saying the lads in Section G are targetting and racially abusing the C*unty fans really need to get a grip. It's merely football banter, and should be IMHO, part and parcel of the game and rivalry between the teams.

Roll on Sunday.

And as for any 'racist' abuse to Lionel, what a load of tosh. He was booed because he was rubbish not becasue he was black. He would have been booed in the last county game no matter if he was white, black, green whatever but some people are so touchy and think you cant boo or give any stick to someone if they are black. Some people really need to get a life, who actually complained over this?

Again on sunday lets get as many people as possible singing the usual county songs and not a thing will happen if a lot of people join in. Its only if there are one or two people singing it that they will then go and pick on the smallest kid in the group.

I kinda think that section G is to be targeted no matter what the other parts of the grounds sing/shout.

Kinda get that impression aswell, but f*ck it, why should we back down to the PC Brigade?

Anyone saying the lads in Section G are targetting and racially abusing the C*unty fans really need to get a grip. It's merely football banter, and should be IMHO, part and parcel of the game and rivalry between the teams.

Roll on Sunday.

I have to say that I feel discrimiated against. We pay a premium to sit in the main stand, but section G get all the stewards. :rolleyes:

This genuinely could be the final straw in me supporting the team.

Had it to the back teeth with that jobsworth f*dd Mike Smith, and this 'situation' has gone beyond a joke. They are slowly but surely killing off what little atmosphere is at this club.

We'll see what happens on Sunday.. Would be handy if the Trust, or even Smithy for that matter (not likely though), could put out a statment so we know where we stand.

I don't even know if I'm looking forward to this game anymore.

On Sunday,everyone make there way to Section G, Section F and Section H and we will ALL sing gypsy songs. I very much doubt they will throw out hundreds of us.

On Sunday,everyone make there way to Section G, Section F and Section H and we will ALL sing gypsy songs. I very much doubt they will throw out hundreds of us.

Yup since its pay in there will be quite a big group of us. Going to singing all the usual songs, nothing will happen if a lot of the stand are singing.

I think we've finally found the answer to the age old question of "Who put the 'O' and 'Y' in County?"

It was Mike Smith, and he did it so as not to upset their fans!!!

:rolleyes::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This whole topic has really pee'd me off!!! It sickens me as it was said that now there is abit of banter in the north stand that these ****'s are destroying it, its almost like this ****** is trying to destroy/stop any fans enjoying themselfs... I swear If it wasnt for my season ticket that I'd be looking to boycot the ground!! they already have my money!!