Roy McBain

disheartened

Roy has been a loyal servant to Caley for 9 years but it would appear that his face does not fit with Terry Butcher. It would be difficult to find a more dedicated professional but he cannot even find a place on the bench. His last appearance was in the North Cup final in Forres where every move he made, caused Terry Butcher to shake his head and eventually he was "hooked", much to his disgust. Since then, Roy has been taken to all the away matches, both midweek and Saturdays, only to find he was not involved - surely if TB had no intention of playing him, he should have been left at home. Knowing Roy as I do, he will not go running to the Manager to complain, but will train even harder in the hope that he gets the nod the next week.

I know for a fact that several clubs wanted Roy on loan but this was blocked - why? If he does not figure in TB's plans, why not let him play for another club?

It would appear to me that, having brought in all these new players in the Summer, TB is determined to play them regardless of what it might do to the Club. Some of these guys have not got half of Roy's ability and, as demonstrated in the previous game against County, lack the passion and determination for a local derby.

I have read over the last year or so about Roy the "invisible man" but these people often fail to see the running off the ball, tracking back etc. which are the less glamourous aspects of the game - not every player wants to play up to the cameras like others I could mention!

It has taken a long time for me to pluck up the courage to commit to print, what I have been thinking over the last few months and I would like to see what other fans think about the situation.

After watching Duncan prove he's not even good enough for the 1st division yesterday, I'd have no problem with Roy playing the same role. I can never understand the criticism aimed at McBain, he hardly ever makes a mistake, keeps it simple, is very skillful, and always gives 100%.

And he can pass a ball more than 5yds to a team member.

Edited by davieB

Duncan protects the back four, maybe he needed to be taken out of his comfort zone and made to fight but not for that long he definitley should be playing. Roy's ball retention is good and he will deliver quality crosses and telling passes. He has won the first division and been in a team that played in SPL for several seasons.

Roy has been a loyal servant to Caley for 9 years but it would appear that his face does not fit with Terry Butcher. It would be difficult to find a more dedicated professional but he cannot even find a place on the bench.

It would appear to me that, having brought in all these new players in the Summer, TB is determined to play them regardless of what it might do to the Club. Some of these guys have not got half of Roy's ability and, as demonstrated in the previous game against County, lack the passion and determination for a local derby.

It has taken a long time for me to pluck up the courage to commit to print, what I have been thinking over the last few months and I would like to see what other fans think about the situation.

This "other fan" totally agrees with you.

Roy is a model professional who, with his experience, dedication and comittment is definitely worth another run in the team.

I don't know why so many people compare Roy and Duncan as if it was a choice between them. Never fancied Roy in centre mid. I think his best work is getting up and down the line (I'd play him instead of Eagle any day) or even at LB.

Sadly it seems Butcher has written him off much like one or two other players. In a way I can't blame Butcher as the manager has to stick by his beliefs instead of chopping and changing according to what others say. However Butcher could be off in the summer leaving us with a poor squad.

I'm surprised at how little game time he's had as i thought his experience would prove useful in this division. It seems that Butcher is commited to playing with two creative winger types in the wide positions and i don't see Roy fitting into this system anywhere. He should stick at it though, the recent resurrection of Russell Duncan shows that the manager can change his mind.

Roy is a very well respected player and it's a shame he's out of the picture. Presumably the manager must have his reasons for this, but the only way for the rest of us to really judge whether Roy deserves a place is to see him play. It'll happen at some point, surely.

If Butcher just didn't like Roy at all like the OP suggests, then he would have let him go on loan, so there is hope for him.

Disheartened, I totally agree.

I feel Butcher, especially in the current circumstances, should be starting McBain. Too many new faces at the one time hasn't done us any favours.

I really can't believe Butcher has got this tried and trusted guy at his disposal and isn't using him.

It's one thing to argue the merits of a player, but quite another to suggest that he's been held at the club, costing us money and taking up a squad place for any reason other than the fact that the Manager thinks he is capable of playing some part at some point in time.

If we flip the scenario on it's head for just a moment and we had McBain playing every game and Eagle being left out of the squad then people would be on criticising Butcher for making signings and then not using them.

We can only start 11 guys on the pitch and have 7 on the bench...that leaves 8 or 9 players out every match, so it's not like he's the only one.

McBains attitude of working hard and fighting for a place is exactly what I would expect....not just from him, but from everyone in the team.

After watching Duncan prove he's not even good enough for the 1st division yesterday, I'd have no problem with Roy playing the same role. I can never understand the criticism aimed at McBain, he hardly ever makes a mistake, keeps it simple, is very skillful, and always gives 100%.

And he can pass a ball more than 5yds to a team member.

Roy has been a loyal servant to Caley for 9 years but it would appear that his face does not fit with Terry Butcher. It would be difficult to find a more dedicated professional but he cannot even find a place on the bench.

This "other fan" totally agrees with you.

Roy is a model professional who, with his experience, dedication and comittment is definitely worth another run in the team.

Disheartened, I totally agree.

I feel Butcher, especially in the current circumstances, should be starting McBain. Too many new faces at the one time hasn't done us any favours.

I really can't believe Butcher has got this tried and trusted guy at his disposal and isn't using him.

I agree with everything above, He is a fantastic Caley Man, through and through, I dont know why TB hasnt had him out left, or back left, i cant say anything V's Duncan as they are Different players/Position/Foot the works, however they are both Old School good times players, Mcbain IMO should be given runs out, look at TB and Esson the end of last season, his reason for leaving him out was mind boggling and not really IMO in our best interest, Mcbain should have a spot.. if duncan can Mcbain should!!!

McBain = ICT....

Edited by Georgeios

Roy has been a loyal servant to Caley for 9 years but it would appear that his face does not fit with Terry Butcher. It would be difficult to find a more dedicated professional but he cannot even find a place on the bench. His last appearance was in the North Cup final in Forres where every move he made, caused Terry Butcher to shake his head and eventually he was "hooked", much to his disgust. Since then, Roy has been taken to all the away matches, both midweek and Saturdays, only to find he was not involved - surely if TB had no intention of playing him, he should have been left at home. Knowing Roy as I do, he will not go running to the Manager to complain, but will train even harder in the hope that he gets the nod the next week.

I know for a fact that several clubs wanted Roy on loan but this was blocked - why? If he does not figure in TB's plans, why not let him play for another club?

I have read over the last year or so about Roy the "invisible man" but these people often fail to see the running off the ball, tracking back etc. which are the less glamourous aspects of the game - not every player wants to play up to the cameras like others I could mention!

Hi Roy *waves to Roy*

Seriously though I agree. I think McBain can do a job for us at this level. I would happily see him in the team ahead of some of the other guys. He might not be the most creative player going but he is solid and reliable and could easily do a job anywhere down the left or in the middle of the park. Very much worth a place amongst the subs at least.

At this stage of his career Roy would be ideal for left back IMHO. I witnessed Butcher's rant at Roy from close quarters in the cup game and was not impressed.

Given the recent performances of the new signings changes are a must.

I would also like to see McBain featuring more in the first team but I can't believe some of the people who have completely changed there mind over Roy!! Last season (infact the majority of SPL seasons) McBain has been labelled as "not up to SPL standard" (whatever that is) or the "invisible man" and now involved in a campaign to have him back in the first team.

I'm sure McBain will get his chance at somepoint in the season as Duncan has recently. I think Butcher has obviously noticed that the squad has been lacking pace down our wings for sometime now so I can understand why Eagles is preferred... also noticed during the County game, while watching afar on Alba, that Eagles offers excellent defensive cover on the left wing and probably worked harder than anyone else in the squad

For me McBain hasn't got the pace, energy or skill to play on the wing..... he came on against Dunfermline for the first game of the season and did nothing but lose the ball. The best performances I've seen from McBain throughout his career at ICT have been when he's either played left back or in the centre of the park.

I would have Roy back in the team, I would play him at left back or in the middle of the park. I don't see why not give him a run of games as Cox, Eagle and Hayes get worse as the season goes on, especially Cox who I thought had something to give but has just completely went down hill with each game played. Butcher get over yourself and play a player that is better than any of your rubbish signings.

Disheartened is exactly how Roy must feel. He has been very influential everytime he is on the park but he still gets to only exersise his arse cheeks! Come on Terry! Get it sorted! When looking at our team at the start of the season, i fully expected Roy to be our main man and for everything to go through him. I think with him, we sould have more creativity than we have had. Maybe not much more, but more never the less.

Gobsmacked that he is very rarely even making the bench this season, and he is certainly well out of the picture. I reckon his experience could be invaluable at this time, and I'd rather McBain and Duncan on the pitch when things aren't going well than say Eagle and Stratford. Far far too many changes all at once to the team, particularly in midfield, but it seems Butcher is sticking with his players, as has been mentioned here and elsewhere.

I agree incidentally about Cox going backwards recently - very odd, some have attributed it to be linked to bandage coming off?!? Timing certainly fits!

Don't think he was quite good enough in the SPL but i think McBain would be a very useful player in division 1. I thought when i heard he was staying that he would play regularly but it ain't happened. I do hope he gets back in the team though.

Cox ain't been the best recently but i don't think he was too bad last game. Hoping he gets back to his determined ways.

I for one can't understand why Butcher offered him a contract if he had no intention of playing him. I'm also quite surprised cause I thought Butcher would like a grafter, old time hard worker and experienced player that McBain is. Unfortunaltely Butcher seems to think more about his own ego than what's best. How a poor player like Stratford (unsurprisingly one of Butcher's signings...) gets a place on the bench before McBain is unfathomable. I have to also say, that McBain has never been my favourite player, and I felt he was never his best on the wings, but down the middle or at left back I always felt he did his job well, if modestly and unspectacularly. He ain't a showboater that's for sure.

ICT need experience to progress at this level. McBain has SPL experience and has won this league before unlike many of Butcher's signings, most of him have had a little run if any in first team football. I for one would also much rather see McBain than Duncan in the centre, mainly cause he can actually pass and do his job effectively and can barely think of any occaisons where I came away thinking that he had a poor game. In closing, bring back the Royster!

Are we not all clutching at straws now - some of us are calling for the return of players that we had cancelled out in the SPL - the bottom line is that they are proving better than the players that have been brought in - that is a big feckin worry in itself. Royster should have been tried at left back many moons ago - I dont think he can play in the "hole" like Duncan could but he runs his feckin erse off in a left central midfield position in a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1.

It's one thing to argue the merits of a player, but quite another to suggest that he's been held at the club, costing us money and taking up a squad place for any reason other than the fact that the Manager thinks he is capable of playing some part at some point in time.

If we flip the scenario on it's head for just a moment and we had McBain playing every game and Eagle being left out of the squad then people would be on criticising Butcher for making signings and then not using them.

We can only start 11 guys on the pitch and have 7 on the bench...that leaves 8 or 9 players out every match, so it's not like he's the only one.

McBains attitude of working hard and fighting for a place is exactly what I would expect....not just from him, but from everyone in the team.

I think you will find that there are only 5 subs allowed in the First division. Butcher, however still takes a squad of 18 or 19 to away matches leaving some to sit in the stand!

OK, so Roy is one of 10 or 11.....same point stands.

Also, if it was me, I'd have every member of the squad travelling to all away games...if they expect to get a place then they should at least be watching the team they would have to slot into if called upon.