Team for Morton

Renegade

The thing with not changing it, is any manager worth his salt will look at it, watch the highlights from the Ayr site and counter it... thats why we need to keep trying wee things here and there, they would know to keep Sanchez on a short lead, they would know that duncans the week link in the middle, they would also know that after a rossco run we'd have 3 at the back so let him go on his run and cover Foran and sanchez.. then Bulls the one to take the ball at with cover to pick up his clumsy clearance, also try to keep the ball low as Foran's strength is in the air, rooney rushes shots when hes closed in on, so again its not difficult to work out a counter for the games...... change it i say. not ive thought about it. see how they have preped to play us and then hit them with a counter, we always seem to suffer when changes are made as we are always the first to strike, let them come to us tactics wise, start like last week but make a big change or two around half time and 20 mins to play....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Esson

Tokely-----Bully-----Munro-----Golly

---Proctor---Duncan*---

Imrie-----Sanchez-----Foran

-----Rooney**-----

* Maybe McBain as I've never been totally sure about Duncan. I think he is good enough, but prefer old reliable Roy, plus he can naturally give more cover to the left side with Procotr able to help out on the right.

** Barrowman perhaps as more of a poacher and we should be looking to press them.

I think Proctor should always be looking to be prepared to tuck back to allow Tokely freedom to make his runs.

Cant fault the 3 of Foran (hat-trick) Sanchez (3 assists) and Imrie (goal plus general ability to create)

Hayes and, in particular, Cox are still young. They will get their chance soon enough. Odiamhbo could be and interesting change to make but needs to get some time in before he starts IMHO.

I think its my Morton friend, hence the Pumped.. if you check any ref to playing morton i have said Pumped after most as me and Andy Talk in Pumps.... Im going with 3 txt this weekend saying Pumped to him, and 1 unpump.... 3-1, however he is away just now, i might make the effort and phone him on the works phone instead!!

Esson

Tokely-----Bully-----Munro-----Golly

---Proctor---Duncan*---

Imrie-----Sanchez-----Foran

-----Rooney**-----

* Maybe McBain as I've never been totally sure about Duncan. I think he is good enough, but prefer old reliable Roy, plus he can naturally give more cover to the left side with Procotr able to help out on the right.

** Barrowman perhaps as more of a poacher and we should be looking to press them.

I think Proctor should always be looking to be prepared to tuck back to allow Tokely freedom to make his runs.

Cant fault the 3 of Foran (hat-trick) Sanchez (3 assists) and Imrie (goal plus general ability to create)

Hayes and, in particular, Cox are still young. They will get their chance soon enough. Odiamhbo could be and interesting change to make but needs to get some time in before he starts IMHO.

Why would Rooney be replaced? did he not score as well ? Id go with the same team - more experience it this side than ever - I can't remember the last time we scored 5 goals.

Can't wait for Saturday

It would appear that simple dimple has been rumbled by georgeios.................../\..........Some folk will try anything more than once.

Same again for me Terry.

Terry saying in Highland News that he will probably stick with the same system that he used against Ayr :)

To be honest - if he didnt - he would be slaughtered. The system and personnel at Ayr is difficult to play against - Rooney will pull away two defenders most of the time which leaves space for Imrie and Foran - both playing wide and hopefully give the room fer Sanchez to play his magic - Proctor and Duncan are the holders and allow the likes of Tokely to go forward.

Butcher is set to cut loose again - Caley Jags ready to repeat successful formula of all-out attack after that stunning Ayr raid

By Stephen Kasiewicz

Published: 28/10/2009

Caley Thistle manager Terry Butcher will stay with all-out attack when Morton visit Inverness on Saturday after his team scored five times at Ayr United last weekend.

Dougie Imrie and Richie Foran started on the flanks in midfield, but Butcher encouraged them to join Dani Sanchez and Adam Rooney to form a four-pronged forward line.

It worked spectacularly at Somerset Park, with Inverness were 4-1 up at the interval through goals from Foran (2), Rooney and Imrie. Former Motherwell and Southend player Foran claimed his hat-trick by scoring again in the second period.

Now Butcher is prepared to use the same system when the Greenock men travel north this weekend.

He said: ?Sometimes you reach a stage during the season where you need to change things around a bit as a coach.

?We asked them to do something a little bit different and they did that. I think they enjoyed the fact there was a freshness and a challenge about it. It was a good, attacking positive system. We felt that there is no point in being tentative now.

?At home, particularly, we have been worried about all sorts of things but now is the time to be more positive and have a go.

?When you look at the team we played at the weekend, we had four forwards, with little Dani Sanchez tucked in behind Adam Rooney.

?When we broke we looked ruthless and dangerous and that we could score with every chance.

?It was really positive and we have to take it forward into Saturday. There is no reason why we should fear playing anyone at home.?

Butcher has backed his forwards to keep up their goalscoring exploits in the coming weeks.

He added: ?The players certainly adapted well and I think sometimes as a player if you are given a bit of freedom, especially as a striker, then you relish that opportunity.

?We have good supply from the likes of Russell Duncan and David Proctor in midfield, who can pass the ball well ? as can the full backs.

?As long as you have movement up front you have a chance.

?The players certainly made it work. You can throw systems at players and ask them to do things and be rigid about it.

?But, particularly with the front four, I told them to play as they saw it.

?I gave them their starting positions and they took it from there.?

"The only concern is that the old middle aged guy with the dodgy goatee has to tend to the mentally ill of Lancashire this weekend but I am reliably informed that he wil be back on the terraces in Tinkerville.

Esson

Tokely Bulvitis Munro Golly

Proctor Duncan

Odhiambo Sanchez Imrie

Foran

Odhiambo will be playing I reckon, so either him upfront himself or on the right and Foran back as lone striker

Hope he sticks with a similar formation either way

That could be the next formation - reckon Eric on the bench fer the next couple of weeks will also pay dividends - and unleash this against Coatbridge.

Esson

Tokely Bulvitis Munro Golly

Proctor Duncan

Odhiambo Sanchez Imrie

Foran

Odhiambo will be playing I reckon, so either him upfront himself or on the right and Foran back as lone striker

Hope he sticks with a similar formation either way

That could be the next formation - reckon Eric on the bench fer the next couple of weeks will also pay dividends - and unleash this against Coatbridge.

I just get the impression from Butcher's post match comments that he will be starting Eric as soon as possible... and I imagine Rooney will be first to be dropped

well it better stay the same i travel up from stirling every home match only to go away disapointed at performance and result. Hopefully this will be the start of somthing new and the hope of promotion tht is faintly dying maybe revived B)

How is the hope of promotion faintly dying? We're not yet half way into the season. Nobody's pulling away from the rest. Its all there to be played for.

Both good points. McBain does have a good engine and is naturally left-sided, perhaps giving a better balance to the midfield. Barrowman would benefit from having more forward thinking players pushing up around him and would hopefully get more chances in this formation.

however, you can't really tinker with a team that won 5-1 the previous week so I'd expect Butcher (correctly) to stick with the same XI.

Also, I see Morton have appointed james Grade and Allan McManus as managers until the end of the season - link.

Edited by ictchris