Can anyone help with my i pod?

Bronson

I'm a complete technophobe and am completely useless with all things to do with computers.

I have an i pod classic which has confused me since i got it last year for xmas, but i am able to use it without too much bother. Last night I was going through all my old music files that hadn't been converted and transferred into my i pod library, but by mistook i atually deleted my own i pod library. I was soooo pis5ed off with myself as it had over 2000 songs and photos on it. I have done by best at searching through the recycle bin and trying to undo but i can't find it.

My father in law has just bought hmself an i phone and downloaded i tunes for him to use (on my laptop) but has not yet put any songs onto it. So now when i turn on i tunes it is his library that appears.

All is not lost however, as all my music and photos are still on my actual i pod, i just don't have my own library - if that makes sense??

There must be a way to transfer all my files from the i pod onto the library but i'm buggered if i know how or what to do.

I'm thinking i should also delete my father in laws i tunes application too as that just confuses me.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. But please remember to use simple language as i'm a bit thick!!

Cheers

This is the free way to do it but it takes the most effort: Link

There are programs that will automate the process and allow you to keep metadata attached to each track as well (how you rank the song, the number of times you've listened to it etc) but they are not free.

Apparently you can't use more than one ipod on the same computer.

Yes you can. My family collectively have 4 ipods (2 x 2nd generation Nano, 1 x 3rd generation Nano, and 1 x 2nd generation ipod touch), and we all use the same library on the same computer under the same username. We share the same music, and even the same music downloaded from itune$.

As for the ipod that went "swimming", my son made exactly the same mistake (with an ipod touch) and managed to get it repaired at this place Ipod Repair Centre.

Edited by Premier ICT

Superb PremierICT, were all the songs restored?

Yes they were, it even had my son's irritating "Chelsea" wallpaper.

If I recollect correctly (best check this with the site) they charge ~?30 to evaluate the device, and a fixed fee for the fix (a grand total of ?65 for a water soaked ipod) - cheaper than a new one.

If they can't fix it, they waive the ?30 if they can't fix it, in return for keeping it for spares.