Clach in administration

Heilandee

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Richard did mean Inverness City but Inverness United do (or did) exist as a welfare or Amateur side ....

It may be an urban myth but supposedly the fact that Inverness Utd was registered as a team name with the SFA (and the fact Clach didnt join the merger) was one of the reasons our team was not called Inverness Utd when it was formed ! Perhaps Mr Bannerman might know more?

Incidentally, I believe Caledonian FC is (or was) also a registered name with the SFA for some time after the pre-merger club ceased to exist. Again, it was resurrected in the Amatuer or Welfare ranks.

I think Richard did mean Inverness City but Inverness United do (or did) exist as a welfare or Amateur side ....

It may be an urban myth but supposedly the fact that Inverness Utd was registered as a team name with the SFA (and the fact Clach didnt join the merger) was one of the reasons our team was not called Inverness Utd when it was formed ! Perhaps Mr Bannerman might know more?

Incidentally, I believe Caledonian FC is (or was) also a registered name with the SFA for some time after the pre-merger club ceased to exist. Again, it was resurrected in the Amatuer or Welfare ranks.

To answer Scotty's points in the order in which he makes them....

I'm sure Richard did mean Inverness City and therein lies an interesting scenario. Clach are on the verge of the abyss and if they go under, Grant Street is either up for grabs by a new user or the Council make a bid themselves for it (as Peter Corbett has already suggested) and make some kind of community facility out of it. Either way, this potentially opens the door for Inverness City who currently lack a permanent home. City's predicament is NOT the fault of the Highland Council although for some reason a perception has been created that it is. City's predicament is to a large extent a result of themselves ignoring the fact that they were told right at the start that they would have to vacate the Meeting Park for Northern Counties CC late winter but they chose to ignore that and when they were then asked to leave as agreed, they very publicly held their hands up in horror and claimed they were being badly done by. Either way, Highland Council has a problem (which it does not deserve) but a problem all the same - and one which could well be solved if Clach were to fold. As for City going into the Highland League, I think they are very aware that ?50-60,000 a year is the absolute minimum required - and that's before you even start to think about being elected by the league.

I am not sure whether or not Inverness United was registered with the SFA but would ask the question if this would be permissible on the part of a club which did not exist (outwith a kids' side)? The other consideration is that any move to call the team Inverness United would have been very short lived indeed because Clach were only part of the merger discussions for 12 weeks in the summer of 1993 before it became a two horse chariot and it was a further 4 months before the name Caledonian Thistle emerged as the title. The name, as I recollect, was not really an issue right through the period of the merger votes and the immediate Rebellious Autumn aftermath. Although doubtless discussed, it only emerged as a bargaining tool in December 1993 when the SFL elections became imminent and deadlock still prevailed.

Caledonian FC! Now there's an interesting one! I certainly know that Caledonian FC was allowed to continue to exist as what was called a "constitutional shell" well after the votes to transfer assets in December 1994. This was in effect a necessity because the Caley vote was merely one on the basis of a necessary 50% to invest the club's assets in shares in CT since the 2/3 to invoke constitutional changes was never achieved. So in fact, as far as I know, Caley has NEVER been voted out of existence (but see the end of my comments)! I have a strong recollection of reading through the Caley Constitution at the time of asset transfer (the 50% resolution was proposed by Hugh Grant and Willie MacLean and approved by the Third Battle of Rose Street) and spotting two glaring loopholes which the Rebels strangely never exploited. One of them I unfortunately forget, but the other was the statement in the Constitution that Caley's Registered Office would be at Telford Street Inverness. Clearly that could not continue to be the case, especially after the ground was sold (unless a cupboard in Currys was rented in perpetuity!), but this arrangement needed a 2/3 majority to cease - which was NEVER achieved (publicly at any rate). Stranger things than this were challenged legally but thios one wasn't. I certainly also recollect that the Rebels did briefly plan another legal campaign on the basis of the shell of Caley continuing because I was thrown out of a "public" meeting about it in the late summer of 1995. But as far as I can see, the constitution of Caledonian FC, as it stood at the AGM in 1993, has NEVER been changed in any way - so the club presumably exists. The only chance might be that, after the extended memberships lapsed following the asset vote, the only members left were the Life Members and they may well have done something about that. I must ask Jimmy Falconer about this rather intriguing scenario now I have been reminded of it.

a question to anyone in the know,is the youth set up at clach a seperate entitiy? i,e run seperatley and seperate money,shame if they went to the wall also.we played 3 of there teams before christmas and they were decent.i also notice inverness city have a team in the under 13,s league now

i know strathspey are trying to sign 1 of there players,and had to contact the administrators for a price,we wont be paying the asking price if we get him,but will pay substantialy below it

The vultures are circling......

the vultures have been cicrling for a while,gk hastie went last week to huntly,and the player were after,devronvale,buckie,forres and nairn are also after him

i know strathspey are trying to sign 1 of there players,and had to contact the administrators for a price,we wont be paying the asking price if we get him,but will pay substantialy below it

In which case the Administrator may well suggest that you retreat back into your little burrow four places and eleven points below Clach (who also have four games in hand over you) while he does the responsible thing he is paid to do and waits for somebody else to come up with a more realistic offer.

a question to anyone in the know,is the youth set up at clach a seperate entitiy? i,e run seperatley and seperate money,shame if they went to the wall also.we played 3 of there teams before christmas and they were decent.i also notice inverness city have a team in the under 13,s league now

Yes, it's a completely separate entity which is independently funded and not dependent on the outcome of the current Clach FC situation. It is also likely to become part of the integrated single body which is being proposed for Youth Football in Inverness which in turn is part of an integrated scheme for the Highlands coordinated by Rod Houston, Highland Football Academy manager.

MODS.... is it technically possible for posters to operate a spellcheck facility on their posts? (NB I'm not asking on behalf of myself, but 33 years in the "day job" are making me twitch just a bit!)

MODS.... is it technically possible for posters to operate a spellcheck facility on their posts? (NB I'm not asking on behalf of myself, but 33 years in the "day job" are making me twitch just a bit!)

I used to think the widespread use of mobile phone text messages was having a detrimental effect on the English language, and general spelling standards.

Apparently it's not - in fact the converse is probably true.

See here.... It's offishyal

I used to think the widespread use of mobile phone text messages was having a detrimental effect on the English language, and general spelling standards.

I saw that today. What a heap of ****. Its the same as saying that the majority of british children do not get support they need by parents. Rubbish. Kids are spoilt and get far too much. Be being one of them and i admit i get more than i should, though no way near as much as some people i know. These reports are a pile of rubbish......

Don't let Clach go down!

What a load of pseudo academic bullsh1t! No... not your post JB but what the folk in that report are saying. It's painfully bleeding obvious that texting is encouraging and fostering all manner of bad practice in the use of English and I really don't have a lot of time for the ramblings of some academic whose first priority is probably to justify a piece of research in order to obtain funding from the relevant body.

I would have ONE good thing to say about language practice in texting. The constraint of 160 characters (which I still stick to where possible as a relic of many years on "Pay As You Go") does help develop discipline in conveying your ideas concisely. However I probably make extra demands of myself since I am also one of these people who uses properly spelled words in grammatical sentences whilst texting. I just can't bear to see badly expressed English!

But to return this thread to where it started, the Clach meeting is at 7pm on Friday in the lounge bar in the Social Club and their priority is short term cash flow - ie shekels in the coffers NOW!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

What a load of pseudo academic bullsh1t! No... not your post JB but what the folk in that report are saying. It's painfully bleeding obvious that texting is encouraging and fostering all manner of bad practice in the use of English and I really don't have a lot of time for the ramblings of some academic whose first priority is probably to justify a piece of research in order to obtain funding from the relevant body.

I would have ONE good thing to say about language practice in texting. The constraint of 160 characters (which I still stick to where possible as a relic of many years on "Pay As You Go") does help develop discipline in conveying your ideas concisely. However I probably make extra demands of myself since I am also one of these people who uses properly spelled words in grammatical sentences whilst texting. I just can't bear to see badly expressed English!

But to return this thread to where it started, the Clach meeting is at 7pm on Friday in the lounge bar in the Social Club and their priority is short term cash flow - ie shekels in the coffers NOW!

People that text or type like "R u comin out 2nite" **** me off. If i don't know them, i always get the feeling they are real tinks for some reason?

Charles, some people (like me) have trouble reading your posts with all the big words in them, thank christ for online dictionaries. Not everyone can be bothered checking over their words/grammar, I remember making a mistake once upon a time.

Txt spk is frowned upon, but grammar and spellnig errors are part of life I'm afraid, so like the darts athletes, or would you prefer toxophologists, learn to live with it.

Please remember that there are some people on here who may suffer from dyslexia, a spelling error or misplaced comma is not always what it seems.

Charles, some people (like me) have trouble reading your posts with all the big words in them, thank christ for online dictionaries. Not everyone can be bothered checking over their words/grammar, I remember making a mistake once upon a time.

Txt spk is frowned upon, but grammar and spellnig errors are part of life I'm afraid, so like the darts athletes, or would you prefer toxophologists, learn to live with it.

Please remember that there are some people on here who may suffer from dyslexia, a spelling error or misplaced comma is not always what it seems.

Have to say that I disagree and share Mr Bannerman's view on the matter. What on earth has happened to basic literacy ? I blame the teachers myself !