Clach in administration

Heilandee

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to be an old cynic strathyjags but after a couple of years the novelty will wear off and you'll be left with your bedrock support.

i actually think your wrong and our support will increase season after season

I would tend to go even a bit further than Mantis and suggest that two years might be a little optimistic since there is always an initial surge. However it very much depends on what Strathspey Thistle make of it themselves and whether they can start to get a few points on the board. There is nothing like success to bring in the crowds.

But if the Inverness 94-95 experience (and indeed to some extent after they came "back" from Aberdeen in 2005) is anything to go by, there is definitely a danger of an initial surge before people revert to going away and doing whatever they did before. When CT started out in 1994 there was an initial crowd surge and when results, rather like Strathspey's at the moment, didn't work out all that well, the crowd dropped off quite steadily. It did, however, recover quite dramatically when results turned up again on the arrival of Pele.

rather like Strathspey's at the moment, didn't work out all that well, the crowd dropped off quite steadily. It did, however, recover quite dramatically when results turned up again on the arrival of Pele.

look at the results we have been getting this season and crowds still get bigger

rather like Strathspey's at the moment, didn't work out all that well, the crowd dropped off quite steadily. It did, however, recover quite dramatically when results turned up again on the arrival of Pele.

look at the results we have been getting this season and crowds still get bigger

I certainly wish you all the best and it's good to see the Highland League extend into an area which it previously hasn't reached. All I'm saying is that this is perhaps not as simple and clearcut a situation as you may think, especially so close to "shintyland". However I think we need all the Highland League mileage we can on the North FA side of the competition, given the financial big hitters that there are in Aberdeenshire so more power to Strathspey's elbow.

However we seem to have allowed this thread to have wandered so let me take it back on course with the hope that tonight's meeting was the start of some means of maintaining Highland League football in Inverness.

Sorry to be an old cynic strathyjags but after a couple of years the novelty will wear off and you'll be left with your bedrock support.

i actually think your wrong and our support will increase season after season

You can keep us posted then :lol:

When CT started out in 1994 there was an initial crowd surge and when results, rather like Strathspey's at the moment, didn't work out all that well, the crowd dropped off quite steadily. It did, however, recover quite dramatically when results turned up again on the arrival of Pele.

And even when the football was terrific under Pele, at the new stadium the crowds fell away to about 1700 in div 1. We used to go down the A9 after a game asking what ICT had to do to get the great Inverness public to come and watch.

I remember writing something around the time Denzil left, something about a public that didn't deserve him.

We've gained a whole new support from the SPL days - at the moment we're one of the better supported clubs in the league - but evidence from the likes of Dunfermline shows that over a long spell in div 1 you slowly lose them.

Back on topic, here's a link to the press release

Clach Website

From that it appears the council haven't got a clue what they are doing. Or do they?

Unless of course there are undisclosed payments made by undisclosed developers to undisclosed beneficiaries to expediate the demise of Clachnacuddin, allegedly. I'd be checking the Highland Council car park for new Jaguars, etc.. allegedly of course. :lol:

And even when the football was terrific under Pele, at the new stadium the crowds fell away to about 1700 in div 1.

That is another prime example of a "novelty factor". When the Caledonian Stadium opened in 1996 there were crowds (even excluding derbies and celebrations of promotion/D3 title) of up to about 3000 just for bogstandard Third Division matches. Scottish football was absolutely amazed at this!

However, as Mantis says there, these steadily subsided, with perhaps an upward blip when the second promotion was in the making. But once Caley Thistle became established in the First Division after going up again in 1999, apparently with no serious prospect of further advancement :) anything over 2000 was something of a rarity.

Funnily enough, I'd be interested to see what size of crowd this week's goings on bring out at Grant Street v Wick on Saturday. In fact from a "news" point of view, this is where the local story is on Saturday (even if there's a "Caley Jags In Home Win Shock" line :) ) so I think I'll head for Grant Street for at least a large part of the game.

On a more personal note, I would have to say that if Clach is not going to survive, I'd like to get there as often as possible for what's left (rather like visiting a seriously ill relative in hospital) and in addition the thought of the end of Molly's incredible Boardroom half time teas absolutely appals me! :lol:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

We've gained a whole new support from the SPL days - at the moment we're one of the better supported clubs in the league - but evidence from the likes of Dunfermline shows that over a long spell in div 1 you slowly lose them.

First full house at Dens in years on Tuesday night and averaging over 5000 at home games,5 years after our own administration,so things can be turned round but the passive support has to be enthused.As CaleyD said many things are instrumental in turning folk away from the footy and it's up to the clubs to find ways to stimulate the interest,a winning team being the main one,but pricing and bringing back an enjoyable match day experiance would help.

Clach Website

From that it appears the council haven't got a clue what they are doing. Or do they?

"one of the most economically deprived areas in Scotland"

I presume they are referring to Merkinch rather than Inverness. But even so, is it a valid claim? I haven't lived in Inverness since the 80's, but my perception of that area is that it's deprived and a bit rough, but there are dozens of worse areas.

Clach Website

I presume they are referring to Merkinch rather than Inverness. But even so, is it a valid claim? I haven't lived in Inverness since the 80's, but my perception of that area is that it's deprived and a bit rough, but there are dozens of worse areas.

It has it's own EU funded "Enterprise Scheme", but no worse than the area of Forres I live in or many areas in the North let alone the rest of Scotland. But is that relevant?

Clach Website

They're exaggerating all right. Merkinch is not the best of areas, as we know, but it's nowhere near the same league as Sighthill and Easterhouse, both of which have really depressing levels of urban poverty.

Someone might be able to clarify this, but during recent meetings about the Dalneigh Community Centre and them trying to obtain funding, they were told that how "deprived" an area is is based on the number of kids who qualify for and take up free school meals.

Someone might be able to clarify this, but during recent meetings about the Dalneigh Community Centre and them trying to obtain funding, they were told that how "deprived" an area is is based on the number of kids who qualify for and take up free school meals.

This also, apparently, is the measure used to correlate school exam results with "affluence" or otherwise.

Is that because the home crowd is getting bigger or is it because, over the last few games you've been playing teams who bring a few more supporters than is the norm. Or is it the novelty, for away fans, of a new place to explore.

When ICT came back to TCS after the spell at Aberdeen most away teams brought quite a few fans. As time went on those numbers atarted to dwindle. You mention the surrounding area's to Grantown. Those you list aren't exactly the most populated areas in Speyside, apart from Aviemore, and the area doesn't exactly have the greatest of public transport networks so I cant see that many being inspired to make the effort.

Clach Website

There is a difference between Merkinch and the Ferry. A big difference. South Kessock has traditionally been classified among the worst 2.5% of housing areas in Scotland.

Seeing clach go would be a big disappointment, it was great to be able to go to a 'proper' football game now and again.

Remember going to a Clach cup game against Stenhousemuir, it was the middle of decemeber and it was about minus 5, standing on the terracing and watching the home team get destroyed 5-0, with the half-time entertainment being a house-fire in one of the lucky properties across the pitch. Happy days.

Seeing clach go would be a big disappointment, it was great to be able to go to a 'proper' football game now and again.

Remember going to a Clach cup game against Stenhousemuir, it was the middle of decemeber and it was about minus 5, standing on the terracing and watching the home team get destroyed 5-0, with the half-time entertainment being a house-fire in one of the lucky properties across the pitch. Happy days.

.... and certain Merkinchers attempting to rough up the visiting support which led to them getting very lengthy bans from Clach. I remember that game well. :blink:

Also, I know exactly what you mean by a "'proper' football game" and couldn't agree more. I call it "the old Inverness football" which I was very reluctant to see go when there were initial moves for a three team merger but which I was delighted to see survive when Clach went alone. There is a certain "old world" feel about walking into Grant Street Park and I love it. I would certainly be terribly disappointed to see it go if Clach were to fold but the other way of looking at that is the very small number of fans who turn out to experience it.

I was at Clach Park yesterday before moving on to ICT (missed all the goals there though ;) ) and I have to say that the crowd was just about the usual - no noticeable surge after the administration announcement. Maybe folk were spending a couple of extra quid in raffles (I certainly did) but little seemed to have changed. I took the opportunity to wander round and speak to a few Clachers and there is a burning desire for that club to survive - but at the same time a great deal of apprehension that it may not.

The other thing that seems to be emerging is that other Highland League clubs also seem to be very keen for Clach to survive and that was more than evident from the Wickers I spoke to.

One Clacher made the point that wee places like Rothes and Lossie can sustain Highland League football so why should Inverness be having such difficulty? I suppose the top line of a very lengthy conversation which you could have on that one is that Rothes and Lossie don't have a Caley Thistle in town.

Marty, why has it taken you so long to decide to support Strathspey Thistle?

was asked by donly/robbie this season if i could do anything to help them,so duly obliged as its helping the local community,and also very easy to take my disabled son to the games as we can get his wheelchair in the stand,which was impossible to do at ict.i started of just doing the website for them,now i also sell there lottery tickets every week(usually about 60-80 a week)sell merchandise at home games,and via website,iam also on youth development committe and am treasurer;the same question could be asked to a good few ict fans who previously supported the old firm or any other spl team.

even though they usually get beaten most weeks i feel part of something big happening and am made most welcome by everyone invovled with the club,more that can be said a about ict.

Without going into details I've heard from a reliable source that the Savage deal could have gone ahead, with the debt being wiped out, but the plug was pulled due to another party's involvment with repect to commercial interests outside of football.

I'm watching what I say without naming names and making any libelous statements.

Marty, why has it taken you so long to decide to support Strathspey Thistle?

was asked by donly/robbie this season if i could do anything to help them,so duly obliged as its helping the local community,and also very easy to take my disabled son to the games as we can get his wheelchair in the stand,which was impossible to do at ict.i started of just doing the website for them,now i also sell there lottery tickets every week(usually about 60-80 a week)sell merchandise at home games,and via website,iam also on youth development committe and am treasurer;the same question could be asked to a good few ict fans who previously supported the old firm or any other spl team.

even though they usually get beaten most weeks i feel part of something big happening and am made most welcome by everyone invovled with the club,more that can be said a about ict.

Wasn't looking to have a go, just seeing if my point/s earlier about people seeking what's missing from supporting their current club was the case here....and it looks like it is/was.

All the things you mention were part of being a fan (for those willing to roll up the sleeves) at ICT in the past, but have been slowly eroded over the years as a result of various things.

Without going into details I've heard from a reliable source that the Savage deal could have gone ahead, with the debt being wiped out, but the plug was pulled due to another party's involvment with repect to commercial interests outside of football.

I'm watching what I say without naming names and making any libelous statements.

If you're referring to the allegations that Sutherland threatened to pull the plug on Dowling supplying windows to Tulloch if they accepted the Savage offer and offered to fund Clachs rescue himself instead, only to discover that the regulations prevented it and Savage was no longer interested after being shafted....then that rumour already appeared on this site a couple of weeks back.

There is a certain "old world" feel about walking into Grant Street Park and I love it.

thats a new way of describing a "dive".grant street park,makes albion rovers cliftonhill look like old trafford

Look here mate, I really do wish your new enterprise well along there in Grantown but I think there's enough glass in your own house at Strathspey to make the throwing of stones a decidedly hazardous idea. After all your start in the Highland League has hardly been spectacular and as I understand it you have not yet reached the stage even of paying players (which Clach continue to do - albeit modestly). You have been on the wrong end of a few real roastings and you just don't know how things are going to go although I do hope they go well.

It might be a more prudent strategy as a Highland League "new boy" (and apparently, from the tone of your posts, a "lifelong" Strathspey fan who has never had an interest in any other club?) to keep your head below the parapet and just find out how the set up works first. After all, Clach are founder members so have been in there for 116 years. Your club has been there for 13 very uncertain weeks.

For instance you will find that the rest of the Highland League are totally behind Clach and their efforts to survive.

One final point... has it not occurred to you that Clach, especially since they are a fellow North FA club, MIGHT just have been one of the clubs you depended on to vote you into your recently acquired place in the Highland League? In that event, your gratitude does not appear all that evident.