Pride of Scotland?

stevico1

Ohh what a suprise. Nothing will happen as the paper thats famous for being bias towards Rangers AGAIN says that it was not Rangers fans.......

A number of Rangers supporters wearing Stone Island and Burberry and speaking with Cockney accents were spotted before the match in Romania. (Daily Record)

How many more times can the poor chelsea fans get the blame? This is the 3rd time if i recall this paper has belamed "Cockneys"

So what if they're Cockneys ? At the end of the day they were there supporting Rangers .

Exacly. But later on in the article it said something about how its not the fault of the club if other fans come in to cause trouble! Have they never heard of Rangers supporting Cockneys?

Most football teams represent the town, city or area in which they're based.

Rangers are different in that they've set out their stall as a team who represent Protestants who detest Catholics. This means they can have a fan-base covering the entire UK, and beyond. Celtic are similar.

So it's quite feasible that there are Cockneys who hate Catholics and are consequently drawn to Rangers.

They're making a bit of a habit of this. They can blame poor organisation and over-zealous stewards and they may have point, but why does it always happen to them?

In order save the good name of Scpttish football fans, i'd like to see the SFA serve Rangers with a European ban.

They're making a bit of a habit of this. They can blame poor organisation and over-zealous stewards and they may have point, but why does it always happen to them?

In order save the good name of Scpttish football fans, i'd like to see the SFA serve Rangers with a European ban.

Someone text into Sportsound tonight saying of course this happens to us, we are Rangers and always get harsh punishment! I laughed alot. They got away with Manchester and ecen though this is their third punishment in recent years, they have got away with more than triple that by belaming it on others.

A Europian ban will need to be imposed soon. Maybe we should ban all Scottish clubs from Europe? Scotland wont be as embarrased then.

I heard it kicked off because the stewards were trying to throw Donald Findlay out for singing and he was protesting that he was just shouting because some gypo had nicked his flute. I hope they get a (large) fine, and end up even more in the red than they were at the start!

It's always interesting to see how these things are reported in the press and how that compares to the reality. There's no excuse for ripping up seats etc but some of the independent stories that i've heard from reliable sources backup the claims of shocking stewarding, policing, and match organisation. I mean, stewards armed with CS gas!!!!! In the UK it's classed as a firearm and our cops need special training and are closely monitored in it's use, aftercare of recipients etc..... can you imagine Caley stewards wading in with CS gas at our games?!? The Romanian side have now also been charged by UEFA so it would appear as though this confirms the reality that they are not blameless.

It's always interesting to see how these things are reported in the press and how that compares to the reality. There's no excuse for ripping up seats etc but some of the independent stories that i've heard from reliable sources backup the claims of shocking stewarding, policing, and match organisation. I mean, stewards armed with CS gas!!!!! In the UK it's classed as a firearm and our cops need special training and are closely monitored in it's use, aftercare of recipients etc..... can you imagine Caley stewards wading in with CS gas at our games?!? The Romanian side have now also been charged by UEFA so it would appear as though this confirms the reality that they are not blameless.

But i dont see why that club should be charged because of them having tear gas? They are alowed to in Romania, so why not? If you could in Britain im sure at OF games they would carry them. Russian police carry weapons but because they were not used nothing is made of it. You can clearly view in the footage that the fans are attacking the stewards and they are using the gas to fend them off.

But i dont see why that club should be charged because of them having tear gas? They are alowed to in Romania, so why not? If you could in Britain im sure at OF games they would carry them. Russian police carry weapons but because they were not used nothing is made of it. You can clearly view in the footage that the fans are attacking the stewards and they are using the gas to fend them off.

They've not been charged because they HAD cs gas. They've been charged because of their overall inept handling of the match, which may very well include the inappropriate USE of weapons during the event such as batons and cs gas. In the footage shown of a particular flashpoint it does indeed indicate that the crowd in that section were confronting stewards. Again, think about it in the context of our games - you always see fans having a bit of vocal argy-bargy with stewards about standing up etc. Imagine then that our stewards had cs gas and sprayed fans to get them to sit down.... what do you think would happen then? The situation was definitely inflamed and their stewarding was counter-productive. No excuse of course, but perhaps understandable when put in the context of the handling of some of the incidents that resulted in the initial flashpoints.

We live in times when the health and safety of fans at football times is paramount. It might seem like a trivial matter to force thousands of fans to enter via limited turnstile numbers, but just think about stadium tragedies that have occurred around the world with stadium access issues as a contributory factor. The pre-match risk assessment of the match required one thing, but the Romanian side did another. On that basis alone they are right to be charged. Again, thinking of us - imagine if all the fans at our games had to enter via one turnstile on the main stand and had to stand in fenced off pens waiting to get in 2 at a time.... while at the same time police with batons 'helping' you along your way and trigger-happy stewards are spraying cs gas on mass into the penned crowd to stop them complaining at the wait. Sounds a bit extreme does it not and pretty dangerous if you realise that cs gas disorientates people and can cause severe breathing difficulties. I've only heard stories from reliable sources so I can only comment on the basis of what i've been told from fans that were there (all of whom condemn the extreme actions from Rangers fans that were reported).... but funnily enough many of the damning reports in the papers were also reported third-hand from reporters that weren't even there e.g. Bill Leckie in yesterday's Sun.

I'm not in any way supporting what their fans did but just trying to suggest that the media will always report the incident in a way that is most sensational. There are clearly various parties to blame for the whole fiasco and once the matter is fully investigated, with ALL tv/cctv footage reviewed, then hopefully the appropriate punishments are dealt out.