No sound on PC

SMEE

Hi Folks. Gotta wee problem....or should i say...my dad has. I was over at this earlier on trying to get sound on his PC for him. I plugged in the speakers, but no joy. Tried all the volume levels etc on the pc...still no joy. Then tried plugging in headphones, still no sound. So...to elimintate the possibility of it being faulty speakers etc, i tried them on his radio...and both worked fine. So we know its not the speakers or headphone at fault.

I have been into device manager and according to that..the soundcard is working properly.

Anyone have any ideas, as he would like to have sound now he is getting more confident on the PC.

Cheers! :lol:

I had a similar problem once. I found in my case it was because:

I was trying to play a song in creative media player but my default player (windows media player) had the volume turned down. Even though it wasn't active it still controlled the volume. Once I opened WMP and raised the volume everything was fine. I know this seems basic but hey you never know. Hope this helps

So many potential things to check SMEE ......

but first things first .... a couple of crucial questions in any support question. PC Model? Operating System? Sound Card model? (or is it an on-board sound card [part of the motherboard instead of a separate card])

There are a few generic things to check

Do system sounds come through the speakers? eg. when an error comes up do you get the normal beep etc ?

Are you testing it by putting an audio CD in the drive ? If so you might want to open up the PC and make sure that there is a cable from the audio out of the CD to the audio in of the soundcard.

Have you checked your sound settings fully? Not just master volume but also the Wave settings and CD Volume settings. Also clicking on options in the volume settings should allow you to check what playback and recording devices you are using and whether it is analog/digital. I had sound issues before and it was because the settings after a reset were screwed up.

Have you re-installed the latest drivers for the sound card. they could be corrupt despite the "working normally" message in device manager.

Thanx for the replies gents. Not easy to remedy, as he is two bus rides away from me.

So many potential things to check SMEE ......

but first things first .... a couple of crucial questions in any support question. PC Model? Operating System? Sound Card model? (or is it an on-board sound card [part of the motherboard instead of a separate card]) I Cant answer anything apart from it being Vista OS

There are a few generic things to check

Do system sounds come through the speakers? eg. when an error comes up do you get the normal beep etc ? No sounds at all

Are you testing it by putting an audio CD in the drive ? If so you might want to open up the PC and make sure that there is a cable from the audio out of the CD to the audio in of the soundcard. I requested a CD, but didnt bother to test that as i was getting no sound on the youtube clips

Have you checked your sound settings fully? Not just master volume but also the Wave settings and CD Volume settings. Also clicking on options in the volume settings should allow you to check what playback and recording devices you are using and whether it is analog/digital. I had sound issues before and it was because the settings after a reset were screwed up. I did go thro all the apparent sound settings on the pc

Have you re-installed the latest drivers for the sound card. they could be corrupt despite the "working normally" message in device manager. I just checked the device manager, which stated it was working correctly

Edited by SMEE

Hey Graham...

I get this from time to time.. Easiest way to resolve this is to do a System Restore. If your using XP, goto Start then Help, in there you should find how do do a System Restore. Its in Vista as well but im not sure where.

Simply this restores the PC to a point in time where you know it worked. You dont lose any software or information, so no worries there.

good luck

• 1 month later...

Thanx for that Alex. I only noticed the post today when i was going back over some old posts.

PROBLEM IS.....I have run the Microsoft fix it, and it finds no issues to be rectified. There is sound coming thro the speakers...but only a tiny amount. I now have installed a remote desktop program and can control my dads pc.....but i have tried everything i can think of. Anyone have an idea what to try?