Gaelic Learners

Northern_jaggie

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We can call ourselves Northangloland"

What a good idea. EnglandFlagSmall.gif

Burn that flag and just behave yourself now Oz, you're being educated in my country now!

Well, I must admit that took longer than I expected. :D

Alex....?7M announced yesterday to hold an investigation into the future for Gaelic. Then a few million on this...a few million on that. Lets not forget, there are only about 50 000 gealic speakers in Scotland....so the actual spend per head on Gaelic is thorogh the roof!

Thats the same 7 million thats paid out every year. It's not for any investigation. Its for gaelic learning, culture, the national plan and broadcasting.

Eh.....try ?22M budget for the 3000 gaelic learners in school. Works out at over ?7000 per pupil spend......more than double that of a state educated pupil! Its things like this that p1sses me off about Gaelic!

Edited by SMEE

"We can call ourselves Northangloland"

What a good idea. EnglandFlagSmall.gif

Burn that flag and just behave yourself now Oz, you're being educated in my country now!

Well, I must admit that took longer than I expected. :D

I was joking!

Alex....?7M announced yesterday to hold an investigation into the future for Gaelic. Then a few million on this...a few million on that. Lets not forget, there are only about 50 000 gealic speakers in Scotland....so the actual spend per head on Gaelic is thorogh the roof!

It doesn't take ?7M to know where Gaelic's going, in fact I'll tell you for free. It's going six feet under.

It times like this I'd like Scotland to be independent, so all the people like me, who are a bit sick of all the old fashioned and backwards attitudes of Scotland can go across the border and say bye bye :D .

It doesn't take ?7M to know where Gaelic's going, in fact I'll tell you for free. It's going six feet under.

It times like this I'd like Scotland to be independent, so all the people like me, who are a bit sick of all the old fashioned and backwards attitudes of Scotland can go across the border and say bye bye :D .

You want to go then nothing is stopping you. The border is open and independance won't make it any easier to cross it. Bye bye renegade. Likely you wont be missed. B)

Thats the same 7 million thats paid out every year. It's not for any investigation. Its for gaelic learning, culture, the national plan and broadcasting.

Eh.....try ?22M budget for the 3000 gaelic learners in school. Works out at over ?7000 per pupil spend......more than double that of a state educated pupil! Its things like this that p1sses me off about Gaelic!

A report from 2004 says that North London pupils were also in the ?7000 mark

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/3906063.stm

Presumably the higher cost of Gaelic schools is also due to their remote location, island allowance etc etc.

Presumably the higher cost of Gaelic schools is also due to their remote location, island allowance etc etc.

I would hazzard a guess for every remotely located Gaelic School.....there are 7-8 equally remote state schools.

And....upon further investigation...it would appear that the spend per head for Gaelic pupils is ?11 000. Based on numbers studying just two years ago. So that is near 4 times the State school figure

So, the language has been around longer than either Scotland or Ireland then. Gaelic is an absolutely essential part of Scottish culture. If keeping this alive isn't important, perhaps we should move on and speak with American accents too.

In fact, why not refer to yourself as English or American? They dominate the culture. Maybe it's time to let go of a nation that will never be powerful without those two again. Country names and borders change all the time. Maybe time to become part of England totally. We can call ourselves Northangloland. What does history matter?

I said pretty much the same in post no 15. Why don't we just cut out the middle man and all become Americans? Sounds fun to me.

Smee - you're turning intae one of those guys who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing :023:

Mantis......for a man who insinuates to be neutral.....you dont half ooze a pro gaelic stance. Gaelic has no apparent value to 98% of the population, so i am far from on my own

So, the language has been around longer than either Scotland or Ireland then. Gaelic is an absolutely essential part of Scottish culture. If keeping this alive isn't important, perhaps we should move on and speak with American accents too.

In fact, why not refer to yourself as English or American? They dominate the culture. Maybe it's time to let go of a nation that will never be powerful without those two again. Country names and borders change all the time. Maybe time to become part of England totally. We can call ourselves Northangloland. What does history matter?

I said pretty much the same in post no 15. Why don't we just cut out the middle man and all become Americans? Sounds fun to me.

I think the two of you have hit upon the reason for gaelic's demise, television which is almost exclusively broadcast in English has taken over the lives of everyone. Kids are not interested in learning a dying language when so much of their day is taken up by a language which most others speak. Call it progress, call it evolution but gaelic is dying and very few desire it's continuation with the exception of those who will not progress.

Edited by Revbirdog

I already have left once before, and if I could leave again I would.

Those damn extradition treaties, eh?

So how long do you get for crimes against football tactics? I would sentence you to 10 years, with Brewster as your cellmate, in a Gaelic speaking prison.

Honestly, now I'm being bullied by a moderator :023:

I actually happen to think my tactics would be excellent entertainment, unlike hoof it Brewster. Everyone knows Butcher will be gone in a wee bit, I don't have long to wait for my turn now.

I already have left once before, and if I could leave again I would.

So how long do you get for crimes against football tactics? I would sentence you to 10 years, with Brewster as your cellmate, in a Gaelic speaking prison.

Oh wait, I see what you're trying to do there, but you can't fool me. Better luck next time.

Edited by Renegade

Smee - you're turning intae one of those guys who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing :014:

Mantis......for a man who insinuates to be neutral.....you dont half ooze a pro gaelic stance. Gaelic has no apparent value to 98% of the population, so i am far from on my own

Just keep trotting out those stats!

No way am I neutral (although by your militant stance I could claim to be more neutral than you are)!

I said all I want to say on the first page, and at some length. I notice you say no apparent value which is probably why we're all arguing in the first place.

I think the two of you have hit upon the reason for gaelic's demise, television which is almost exclusively broadcast in English has taken over the lives of everyone. Kids are not interested in learning a dying language much at all when so much of their day is taken up by a language which most others speak. Call it progress, call it evolution but gaelic is dying and very few desire it's continuation with the exception of those who will not progress.

Fixed it for you!

I think the two of you have hit upon the reason for gaelic's demise, television which is almost exclusively broadcast in English has taken over the lives of everyone. Kids are not interested in learning a dying language much at all when so much of their day is taken up by a language which most others speak. Call it progress, call it evolution but gaelic is dying and very few desire it's continuation with the exception of those who will not progress.

Fixed it for you!

Your edit may well be correct and if so then what is the point in pumping money into gaelic education? Is it not more sensible to divert that money towards education in subjects which will benefit these kids in their future?

With all this money being spent on their education the Gaelic speakers will get all the best qualifications, best positions, then they will bring in all other Gaelic speakers into top positions of authority until there is a Gaelic top strata in this country and Smee and Co will be in BIG trouble!!

They are infiltrating even as you read this.

Gaelic will be the new religion. What school did you go to? Gaelic school! In you come.

Or on the other hand....What school did you go to? Heriots in Edinburgh. No, No, they do not speak the Gaelic there. I'm afraid the post is taken. We do have a position in security? On Nights only?? What about your qualifications you ask? Qualifications are not the only thing that matters - you don't speak the Gaelic.

Well, well if you go to that English speaking schools what can you expect ? You don't just enjoy the same resources you see!

Your edit may well be correct and if so then what is the point in pumping money into gaelic education? Is it not more sensible to divert that money towards education in subjects which will benefit these kids in their future?

Aye but it will benefit them - according to Smee they can all use it to get cushy jobs for the boys at ?38 000 :014: :D

Seriously though, this can be answered on so many levels. I refer you to my post on the first page where I said that the kids nowadays only want to know 'is this in the test?' They now have a cynical approach to learning facts which is seen as 'sad' and they are encouraged in this by the easy availability of the internet.

I submit that, if the adults take this approach too, then we're all sunk. Schools do try to provide vocational education as far as possible but anybody in education will want to aim much higher.