Gaelic Learners

Northern_jaggie

Gaelic seems to be one of these things where should you disagree with their holier than thou view, you get called every insult under the sun. It seems to be one of those things where you should not go along with their view, that makes you some sort of bad person. They are essentially, flogging a dead horse. Gaelic is gone, it's as good as dead, and nothing, no amount of money that will be pumped into it, will save it. Whether that's from money pumped from the Gaelic loving SNP in Hollyrood, to make appartheid-like Gaelic schools, or to potenially dangerous and pointless road signs. Gaelic is gone, it's time to let it go.

Comparing one of the worst human rights abuse systems in history to the simple of choice of speaking or not speaking Gaelic is ridiculous, even for the level of debate on this site. Nelson Mandela would be proud.....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple DC.....i am sick to the back teeth of the OVERWHELMING minority manipulating it for thier own gain....ie jobs for the boys etc.

Also.......there are other languages that preceeded it in Scotland.....its not even Scots native tongue (historically speaking)

Edited by SMEE

its not even Scots native tongue (historically speaking)

INCORRECT

Okay, you've drawn me out, I wanted to stay away from the Gaelic bashing in this thread but in what way is it incorrect ?

its not even Scots native tongue (historically speaking)

INCORRECT

Au contraire lesser mortale.....as Pictish, Cumbric, Old English AND Nordic were all spoken LONG before Gaelic was on the scene. Gaelic only came to the fore in 12th century. "Scottish" Gaelic derives from Irish Gaelic!

Au contraire lesser mortale.....as Pictish, Cumbric, Old English AND Nordic were all spoken LONG before Gaelic was on the scene. Gaelic only came to the fore in 12th century. "Scottish" Gaelic derives from Irish Gaelic!

Touchet :011:

The French sounds too condescending for my liking......

Suas leis a' Gaidhlig :P

Comparing one of the worst human rights abuse systems in history to the simple of choice of speaking or not speaking Gaelic is ridiculous, even for the level of debate on this site. Nelson Mandela would be proud.....

There was also talk that some of the Gaelic lovers wanted to start villages where only Gaelic would be allowed to be spoken. If that ain't apartheid, then I don't know what is!

Apparently the Gaels played a big part in knocking these languages out and it's quite debateable where Scottish Gaelic is a real language or not. If it is, then are Scots and Doric? They're not, they are dialects of English, just as Scottish Gaelic is to the Irish Gaelic.

Edited by Renegade

Apparently the Gaels played a big part in knocking these languages out and it's quite debateable where Scottish Gaelic is a real language or not. If it is, then are Scots and Doric? They're not, they are dialects of English, just as Scottish Gaelic is to the Irish Gaelic.

Don't forget the hybrid language spoken in the Shetland and Orkney Isles, it's a cross between Norn and English, dis du kens?

Edited by Revbirdog

There was also talk that some of the Gaelic lovers wanted to start villages where only Gaelic would be allowed to be spoken. If that ain't apartheid, then I don't know what is!

Those are mainly the incomers (surprisingly many english) who learn the language as their second, not normal people who have learnt it in school or home.

Gaelic seems to be one of these things where should you disagree with their holier than thou view, you get called every insult under the sun. It seems to be one of those things where you should not go along with their view, that makes you some sort of bad person.

Not picking your quotes deliberately Renegade, but I said earlier that I'm not massively pro-Gaelic. However from the sidelines, as it were, I can understand the Gaelic lobby wanting to defend something they're passionate about, while all the hatred and aggression seems to come from the other side IMO. Mentioning Gaelic on this forum is like a red rag to a bull. If it's dying out what are people worried about?

Yes, there was talk that some people eat their children too, but that's all it was: talk.

Or was that Easter Ross maybe :011: :P :D :lol:

If it's dying out what are people worried about?

Not worried Mantis, and sad that it's a fact, but irritated and annoyed at the disproportionate finance and "medium" schools getting preferential finance and additional "wrap round" care that mainstream don't get (along with the absurd dual signing campaign) and funding for dedicated TV channels.If their was a demand and it was self funding i'd support it,but coming from Gaelic speaking parents, i know how hopeless the task is.

Aye aye Alan, shame I couldnae meet you at the final, had to put up wi some other erseholes, cannae mind their names, Jimdo McSporran or something.

Where were your folks brought up?

Old mans from Harris and mothers fae Skye.i'll catch up wi you one of these days Mantis, mebes boxing day if yer up?

This particular subject rears its head from time to time and the majority jump on it like flies round a turd.

It's worse than WW2 this gaelic culture!! How dare we spend so much on trying to resurrect a culture. Taxpayers money blah, blah. We're talking a few million here. Never have I seen such bitter debate on the hundreds of millions of taxpayers money spent every year to keep the Scottish National museum in Edinburgh running. It's full of artifacts from dead or dying cultures but only a minority of Scottish nationals actually visit the place. The majority benifit not a jot from such large sums being spent. So whats the difference with the gaelic culture?

Edited by Alex MacLeod

Alex....?7M announced yesterday to hold an investigation into the future for Gaelic. Then a few million on this...a few million on that. Lets not forget, there are only about 50 000 gealic speakers in Scotland....so the actual spend per head on Gaelic is thorogh the roof!

Gaelic only came to the fore in 12th century. "Scottish" Gaelic derives from Irish Gaelic!

So, the language has been around longer than either Scotland or Ireland then. Gaelic is an absolutely essential part of Scottish culture. If keeping this alive isn't important, perhaps we should move on and speak with American accents too.

In fact, why not refer to yourself as English or American? They dominate the culture. Maybe it's time to let go of a nation that will never be powerful without those two again. Country names and borders change all the time. Maybe time to become part of England totally. We can call ourselves Northangloland. What does history matter?

Alex....?7M announced yesterday to hold an investigation into the future for Gaelic. Then a few million on this...a few million on that. Lets not forget, there are only about 50 000 gealic speakers in Scotland....so the actual spend per head on Gaelic is thorogh the roof!

Thats the same 7 million thats paid out every year. It's not for any investigation. Its for gaelic learning, culture, the national plan and broadcasting.