Malaware

latviaman

On one of Mrs L" s infrequent forays on the computer, she managed to find a site which said we were under Cyber attack and had numerous trojan horses etc:

I have Kasperdky Anti virus and run a check every week and it tells me all is ok, but I still get this banner telling me my computer is infected and it will cost $59.95 dollars to fix. Any ideas?????

Go for Advanced Windows Care http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

Maybe Ad-Aware too http://www.lavasoft.com/

Never heard of Advanced Windows Care but the two most common free Spyware Removal tools available are Lavasofts Ad-Aware and Spybot: Search and Destroy.

To remove the spyware, make sure you boot to Safe Mode then run either Spybot or Ad-Aware.

If you're only getting this on a specific site then the chances are it's one of the many cons which exist to make you believe you have something you don't, in an attempt to get you to purchase software you don't need and probably doesn't work.

I am with CaleyD on this one ... a window popping up to tell you your system is full of nasty things that only they can sort out for $60 ....... bogus

the minute you download that application you are likely infecting your CLEAN system with malware/adware or all sorts of other crap.

Download and use only legitimate antivirus or malware software .... none of which advertises itself via a popup like that.

That used to be a great, and reliable, site until cnet got their hands on it a few years ago. Since then they don't seem to do the same level of checks on the software added to it and I've almost come a cropper with nasties a couple of times.

Avoid Registry Easy like the plague. It tells you that you have hordes of bad stuff on your computer . Don't install it--it's spyware. Spyware Doctor picked it up as such.

Spyware Doctor from PC Tools is a very good anti-spywareproduct and I have read that Spybot also is recommended. It has a real time scan if you like that sort of thing but I usually turn these off since it sucks up your resources and can slow down your computer, sometimes even stopping it dead in its tracks like Trend Micro did to me a few months ago. Never again.

Also avoid Registry Fix and Registry Clean Fix. They have almost identical formats but one denies any connection with the other. All lies!