Barry Wilson

Scotty

re-sign Bazza or not ?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Should we try to sign Barry until the end of the season or not ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

Many of us were upset when Barry was allowed to leave. Now that he has indicated he will not be staying with QOS beyond the beginning of 2010 should we try to sign him for the rest of the season with a view to perhaps offering him a coaching position or should we pass ?

Courier Article: http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/fu...ave_Queens.html

"I want to play until the end of the season if I can and I would even consider going part-time, but I'll just need to see what happens." With his playing career now coming to an end, Wilson is keen to get involved in coaching, although his decision to play on well into his 30s means jobs on this side of the game are few and far between. "Because I've played on for so long then there are very few opportunities to get into coaching," he added. "I've never made any secret of the fact that it's something I want to do, but at the moment I'm just keeping my options open."

My personal opinion ... this future manager of ICT should be snapped up now as a player or player/coach. Like Charlie he is and always has been an excellent ambassador for ICT and although his playing chances might be limited to a few cameos he is the type of professional who can have a positive influence on our younger players.

I voted no. An unpopular choice no doubt. However, i think we use the players we have at the moment and im sure Barry gets a salary, which ICT need to justify, so my head rules my heart over this one. If hte club do sign him i will be very happy, however, i would prefer to see the wages go on a future talent as it may benefit us more in the long run.

Many of us were upset when Barry was allowed to leave. Now that he has indicated he will not be staying with QOS beyond the beginning of 2010 should we try to sign him for the rest of the season with a view to perhaps offering him a coaching position or should we pass ?

My personal opinion ... this future manager of ICT should be snapped up now as a player or player/coach. Like Charlie he is and always has been an excellent ambassador for ICT and although his playing chances might be limited to a few cameos he is the type of professional who can have a positive influence on our younger players.

Given our present financial constraints can we afford to offer him a coaching role just now?

I agree that (like Charlie) he has always been an excellent ambassador for ICT, and could very well have a positive influence on our younger players, but....

Is he any more likely to succeed at manager level than CC?

I would be inclined to pass on offering him a post right at this moment, but I suspect there will be changes in our managerial/coaching set up for the start of 2010/2011 season. Perhaps he could be offered a position at that time.

It's a tough one and I was verging between 'Yes' and 'Not Sure'.

As a player he would be nothing more than a squad player and/or a "super sub". I still thinks he has enough to offer in that regard.

Where we could/would get "good value" is from having a promising and, potentially, long serving coach. We talk about bringing through young players and I think there's room, and benefit, for us to be looking to bring through future coaches/managers.

Would Butcher want him on the coaching staff? Is their room for him on the wage bill? What's the plan/likely scenario at the end of the season in terms of coaching/playing staff?

If we can bring him in now without jeopardising anything else, then I'm leaning heavily towards the Yes...and that's how I've voted.

Barry coming in as player/coach would be an asset and the cost off set by the departure of one, possibly Imrie, or two, add Barrowman to Imrie. His experience and knowledge of the club and Div 1 are something we lack at this time and if used correctly could be an ace up Butchers sleeve when used as a player.

Edited by Big G

If i could vote in polls - which it quite annoying that i can't, could one of the moderaters do something about that?

I would say yes as a player/coach, he would be good to have as someone for the younger members of the squad to get advice from and share some of his experience with them, plus if he is need then he could pull on his boots to cover for injuries ect.

I voted yes but realistically Barry should be looking at the likes of Elgin. He still has something to offer on the field but his experience could possibly be better used in the dugout. I would dearly love to see him pull on an ICT top again but doubt it will happen.

If i could vote in polls - which it quite annoying that i can't, could one of the moderaters do something about that?

You are not allowed to vote in polls for a reason which was explained to you via PM.

I put 'not sure' as he would be better off finishing this season with a smaller club, then promising him a future in a new set-up with the likes of Robbo, Christie and Pele, with the likely chance of us failing to get promotion and Butcher offski. Then sticking with that vision for a good number of years, through thick and thin.

My all time favourite ICT player.

But would he do a better job on the right than Hayes? Can't see it.

Would he be a good coach? I've no idea. I would hope so, but where's the proof?! Being a legend isn't enough.

So I'm firmly in the not sure camp.

Would he be a good coach? I've no idea. I would hope so, but where's the proof?! Being a legend isn't enough.

My feelings exactly, in any case if we do have a new management team in place for the start of next season should they not be allowed to bring in the coaches they want

If he has any sense he'd try to find some coaching/managing experience in the Highland League for a couple of years then come to us with some idea how to run things. (Also, we might have forgotten about the QoS debacle by then! :021:)

9 out of 10* 'legends' that return to manage their clubs crash and burn in less than a season...

*according to research done in a pub.

I voted unsure but maybe i should have read this post 1st

Barry coming in as player/coach would be an asset and the cost off set by the departure of one, possibly Imrie, or two, add Barrowman to Imrie. His experience and knowledge of the club and Div 1 are something we lack at this time and if used correctly could be an ace up Butchers sleeve when used as a player.

With Imrie almost leaving in January im sure we could take him on. As it has been pointed out he will only play the same part he played last time when he was at the club. Barry could be the player to spark the team up in the 2nd half of matches for us. He would not want to see the club to do well in the 1st half just to go and throw it away in the 2nd!

Edited by caleykid1994

I'm sure 'heart' is ruling 'head' for many fans on this one. I'm afraid I'm in the 'no' camp, for the simple reason that I can't see him adding anything to the squad as a player anymore, and we already have an extremely expensive management team. Adding Barry to this team, unproven as he is as a coach, doesn't make sense to me. Spend the money on a centre half.

I'm sure 'heart' is ruling 'head' for many fans on this one. I'm afraid I'm in the 'no' camp, for the simple reason that I can't see him adding anything to the squad as a player anymore, and we already have an extremely expensive management team. Adding Barry to this team, unproven as he is as a coach, doesn't make sense to me. Spend the money on a centre half.

Barry isnt unproven as he did some coaching for us aswell as a QOTS

Edited by caleykid1994

As a player he is past his best but he is still capable and his experience could be key for some of our younger players.

We could also have a great coach and potential young manager in the ranks so it could be a great move, should we have the funds and space.

He wants to stay in the highlands, he loves the club, we need experince and a leader in the side, though i am aware his better days are beyond him, its a win, win situaution.

Yes.

Yes, time to start getting the next management/coaching team together, ready to step in when called upon. Perfect cover for injuries/possible january departures as well, get him signed before he heads across the bridge. He's settled up here, so ideal place for him to work.