Merry Chrismas to all High School FP's

caleyboy

Did any High School lads actually make it to 6th year?

Dougie... let ths Kaddie Rat tell you (because you seem to be as utterly clueless about this as you are about Highland RFC and the Harriers)... a great number of Tecky boys and girls not only made it to 6th year but also went on to have distinguished university careers. Apart from that the IHS also produced two Chief Constables... Hugh MacMillan of Northern Constabulary and Sir William "Suds" Sutherland of Lothian and Borders.

Dougie... let ths Kaddie Rat tell you (because you seem to be as utterly clueless about this as you are about Highland RFC and the Harriers)... a great number of Tecky boys and girls not only made it to 6th year but also went on to have distinguished university careers. Apart from that the IHS also produced two Chief Constables... Hugh MacMillan of Northern Constabulary and Sir William "Suds" Sutherland of Lothian and Borders.

Ah indeed Herr Bannerman - the perfect background for a life battling crime me tinks.... :D

Still on yer high horse CB. Think I'd rather be utterly clueless than utterly humourless and completely self important. Two Chief Constables, by feck eh?

Merry Christmas to all former High School pupils 1963-1969

:drinking01: :) :fighting04: :icon_ganja: :021: :love03: :love04: :love08:

And a Merry Christmas to all you Tecky boys and girls from a Kaddie Rat 1965-71!

Just been told I was there in 1970 - must have repeated a year somewhere along the line :blink:

Well I made the 6th in IHS, unfortunately, did not get a distinguished career, in the polis, However, did get/ make Uni got a degree , joined the Fleet Air Arm , learned to fly , served in the Falklands and after that became a commercial pilot and life is good, although I live abroad. But never been stuck in a Rut!!

Dougie D dinna take the *iss out of those in a your idea of a perceived rut, they have there own comfort zone albeit small

To all those stuck in the snow , can I wish you a Merry Christmas

1. To Scotty for doing what you do!!

2. To Caley D for being the voice of reason no matter how often he repeats himself

3. To Cb for correcting my spelling errors, habits die hard!!

4. Georgious never thought a Crab *at would make me smile u do

5. Finally to all who post on the site, thank you for making an expat feel near home

Wow.....never ever thought I would be described as a "Voice of Reason" :)

Dougie D.....you couldn't have picked a worse site on the net to have a pop at those who went to Inverness High School. Probably more of us on here than anywhere else :lol:

Wow.....never ever thought I would be described as a "Voice of Reason" :lol:

Dougie D.....you couldn't have picked a worse site on the net to have a pop at those who went to Inverness High School. Probably more of us on here than anywhere else :lol:

Ach, ah was only jesting CD. Most of my mates are old high schoolers, just not the high-flying intellectual types ye get on here. So Merry Christmas to all the High School FPs, and to those "Kaddy Rats" that CB is on about.

Millburnicks can forget it though.

Wow.....never ever thought I would be described as a "Voice of Reason" :rolleyes:

Dougie D.....you couldn't have picked a worse site on the net to have a pop at those who went to Inverness High School. Probably more of us on here than anywhere else :D

Ach, ah was only jesting CD. Most of my mates are old high schoolers, just not the high-flying intellectual types ye get on here. So Merry Christmas to all the High School FPs, and to those "Kaddy Rats" that CB is on about.

Millburnicks can forget it though.

Right then... so that's you jesting about Highland Rugby Club, Inverness Harriers AND the High School?

Unusual sense of humour don't you think?

Charles

Dougie D has completely lost me on most of his threads, methinks a slight complex, on the ones i did understand

Latviaman... great posts. All I know is that we are all Inverness boys together and I respect you all. OK under that old selective system I was lucky enough to become a Kaddie Rat but many of my Dalneigh PS mates went to the Teckie. Respect for the whole lot of us who were brought up in post war Council estates and didn't do too badly despite the likes of DD sniping away in the background.

For instance DD obviously doesn't like the Harriers and Highland Rugby Club and also has some problem with IHS. Sorry DD, but just to list two IHS FPs - Alan Rose was a stalwart of the 1976 HRFC team that "rose" to Scotland's top league and Melissa Whyte (Jeans) albeit now 45 years old, is now one of Scotland's top distance runners.

It's quite amazing how you develop a sense for "profiling" users when you deal with so many people so often.

I'll stick my neck out and say that dougiedanger is from, or spent time growing up, in Inverness but it wasn't necessarily a happy time for him. Definitely has a further education and is probably still working in the field of education...would put money on some kind of social studies which consumes most of his time and he finds it hard to interact with people on a basis other than looking for a reaction, which feeds his interest....no, make that obsession, for studying people.

Some similarities with Mr Bannerman....so maybe a journalistic interest with dougiedanger also. In fact, if CB and DD could set aside their differences I think they may have much more in common than they realise.

Charles

Dougie D has completely lost me on most of his threads, methinks a slight complex, on the ones i did understand

Latviaman... great posts. All I know is that we are all Inverness boys together and I respect you all. OK under that old selective system I was lucky enough to become a Kaddie Rat but many of my Dalneigh PS mates went to the Teckie. Respect for the whole lot of us who were brought up in post war Council estates and didn't do too badly despite the likes of DD sniping away in the background.

For instance DD obviously doesn't like the Harriers and Highland Rugby Club and also has some problem with IHS. Sorry DD, but just to list two IHS FPs - Alan Rose was a stalwart of the 1976 HRFC team that "rose" to Scotland's top league and Melissa Whyte (Jeans) albeit now 45 years old, is now one of Scotland's top distance runners.

Don't know exactly what you mean by " we are all Inverness boys together" Charles. I attended the Techy but I am not from Inverness although I have very fond memories of the place. Many of my friends were from the Academy. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Charles

Don't know exactly what you mean by " we are all Inverness boys together" Charles. I attended the Techy but I am not from Inverness although I have very fond memories of the place. Many of my friends were from the Academy. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

DAM...If you attended the Tecky then you are an honorary Inverness Boy! What I mean is that, despite the rivalry of earlier decades between the "Tecky" and the "Kaddie", there is the common bond of having been educated in Inverness and brought up in the town or the immediate area. As a result, although not a former THS/IHS pupil, I would therefore also want to subscribe to the greetings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

- Alan Rose was a stalwart of the 1976 HRFC team that "rose" to Scotland's top league

Charles __ I remember from my Uni days in Edinburgh, mid-late seventies, going to a party on a Sunday night up near Bruntsfield Links. Scotland had beaten England at Wembley the previous afternoon and the Scottish fans had taken the pitch apart.

Draped over the very large mirror above the fireplace at the party and in pride of place was a very large goal net. Standing next to it was Alan Rose and several of his cohorts who had attended said match at Wembley and had made off with said goal net from Wembley. Needless to say they were all still well oiled from their experiences.

Alan proceeded to tell us the full story about how they had procured the net -- a smaller member of their group sitting on Allan's shoulders and undoing the connections on the crossbar etc. etc. Said crossbar eventually collapsing. Them making off with the net and being accosted by a bunch of Glasgow thugs who wanted to nick the net. Alan clobbering said Glasgow thugs. Then making their way through to central London and onto the Edinburgh train while concealing the net. And numerous other exploits to get the net to the party on the Sunday night. Amazing guy was Alan.

From memory Alan's dad was a Chief Inspector in the Highland Constab.

-Charles __ I remember from my Uni days in Edinburgh, mid-late seventies, going to a party on a Sunday night up near Bruntsfield Links. Scotland had beaten England at Wembley the previous afternoon and the Scottish fans had taken the pitch apart.

That would have been the (in)famous 1977 pitch invasion. Strangely enough, although I had been away from Edinburgh University for two years by then, I had also been at quite a few parties in a flat at Bruntsfield Links in the immediately preceding period.

If the cream of the Borders couldn't succeed with a rugby ball, I couldn't imagine any Gleska Ned (of the pre or post Buckfast era) taking any trophy of war away from Alan. Yes, I think his dad was indeed a senior policeman now that you mention it.

I always found it a little bit amusing that, even though a Kaddie Rat myself, that "rugger school" the Royal Academy never produced a rugby player of any real substance whilst the Teckie, who were sometimes looked down at over the noses of said Kaddie Rats, produced Alan Rose.

Alan proceeded to tell us the full story about how they had procured the net -- a smaller member of their group sitting on Allan's shoulders and undoing the connections on the crossbar etc. etc. Said crossbar eventually collapsing. Them making off with the net and being accosted by a bunch of Glasgow thugs who wanted to nick the net.

That reminds me of an old saying from my days in Glasgow :

There are very few bank robberies in Glasgow, because there is an ever present danger of being mugged on the way to the getaway vehicle!

• 2 weeks later...

:drinking01: :P :fighting04: :icon_ganja: B) :love03: :love04: :love08:

and a rather belated Happy New Year! Caleyboy do you remember the score of the IHS versus IRA senior football teams at the High School grounds in 1969?

• 2 weeks later...

:drinking01: :drinking08: :fighting04: :icon_ganja: :D :love03: :love04: :love08:

and a rather belated Happy New Year! Caleyboy do you remember the score of the IHS versus IRA senior football teams at the High School grounds in 1969?

Giday Roarer - Sorry but you have me there. Can't remember getting beat tho! :rolleyes:

:drinking01: :D :fighting04: :icon_ganja: :lol: :love03: :love04: :love08:

Giday Roarer - Sorry but you have me there. Can't remember getting beat tho! :rolleyes:

IHS 7 IRA 1 Not bad for lads who never went to sixth year!