Mark Hughes sacked?

SMEE

And yet, only two wins from 11 matches, a 3-0 stuffing by Spurs

The stuffing from spurs was their only stuffing this season, and they should have in fact lost by a bigger margin. Of that there is no doubt. But their only other defeat was a very very close one to Manchester Utd. They have beaten Chelsea and Arsenal this season too. You can;t be a serious contender for a top 4 finish if you cant battle in these big games. Hughes has/had got them doing that

Yes, Hughes has always supported Inverness, even back in the Highland League. He had a Highland terrier as a dog as a child and that sealed it. He did try to play for Scotland but FIFA knocked him back, so he reluctantly went back to Wales, much to his great disappointment. You can see that he never gave his all in matches as a protest. That's why he was so disliked by the Welsh fans.

I suspect he'll make Tokely his assistant as he's always said he had a great footballing brain and was easily Premiership quality.

This is one of the best posts ever on here!

I have not one iota of sympathy for hughes. Spent almost a quarter of a billion pounds and built a team that cannot keep a clean sheet.

Man City may well win the league in the next few years but it will be a financial victory nothing more.

Hughes is better off out of it.

Yes, Hughes has always supported Inverness, even back in the Highland League. He had a Highland terrier as a dog as a child and that sealed it. He did try to play for Scotland but FIFA knocked him back, so he reluctantly went back to Wales, much to his great disappointment. You can see that he never gave his all in matches as a protest. That's why he was so disliked by the Welsh fans.

I suspect he'll make Tokely his assistant as he's always said he had a great footballing brain and was easily Premiership quality.

This is one of the best posts ever on here!

I have not one iota of sympathy for hughes. Spent almost a quarter of a billion pounds and built a team that cannot keep a clean sheet.

Man City may well win the league in the next few years but it will be a financial victory nothing more.

Hughes is better off out of it.

I have sympathy. A defense is something that needs to be moulded together. They need to know how eachother play ect. Up front, its much easier to get it right. Midfield is also a lot easier. But defence is always a problem and you need time to let all the defenders get to know eachother.

I think it was a little shoddy. In the last few weeks, bar Tottenham, they've been playing really good stuff and players like Tevez and Bellamy have been excellent.

Fair enough, Mourinho did it 1st time round but he had Terry and Lampard already at the club. Leaders on the pitch. The type to help other settle. They also had a good squad to start with. Add to that a winning mentality in the fact they regularly already qualified for Europe and won cups etc and hey presto. It was kind of a 1 off. Wenger and Ferguson both had to build a team like most managers usually do.

They could easily not let him spend in January. Simply say you've spent ?250m and have to justify that 1st.

Mark Hughes only really made 1 mistake. Replacing Dunne who has now helped Aston Villa become very defensively sound, with Toure who isnt that good. Arsenal are better off without him.

Injuries to key players hasnt helped. They have been without either Adebayor, Tevez, Robinho or Santa Cruz at any 1 point thus far and the defence hasnt been much better. Which aint gonna help them become a tight knit defensive unit.

Put it this way, Im not sure Mancini is that much better. Inter seem to be able to win the league without much effort these days and Im not sure it was his major influence that was a key factor. Moreso Juve being relegated and Milan and Lazio being docked points.

I think that the SFA should sit up. Took on a similar job at Wales and did well and therefore has the experience to go with that.

Not sure Levein is ready yet. but maybe Hughes wasnt or Klinsmann etc - ah dunno.

He'd scored in almost every game up to that. Mark Hughes signed one of the best keepers in todays game in Shay Given; one of the most under rated keepers ever to play the game i recon, and before Lescot was injured, you could say that the City defence was pretty solid. He kept people with the club at heart and made them better, i of course refer to steven ireland, and brought in one of the best players in the world in Robinho.

If Shay is such a magnificent keeper how come he had ten years of carnage in front of him at Newcastle? He was the only constant in that defence.

He goes to City and the same happens. Richard Dunne becomes a "bad" player and gets punted. Micah Richards plays his way out of the World Cup. Lescott and Toure become duffers but according to the pundits he was Mark Hughes's best signing.

He has had one clean sheet in the league since August.

He'd scored in almost every game up to that. Mark Hughes signed one of the best keepers in todays game in Shay Given; one of the most under rated keepers ever to play the game i recon, and before Lescot was injured, you could say that the City defence was pretty solid. He kept people with the club at heart and made them better, i of course refer to steven ireland, and brought in one of the best players in the world in Robinho.

If Shay is such a magnificent keeper how come he had ten years of carnage in front of him at Newcastle? He was the only constant in that defence.

He goes to City and the same happens. Richard Dunne becomes a "bad" player and gets punted. Micah Richards plays his way out of the World Cup. Lescott and Toure become duffers but according to the pundits he was Mark Hughes's best signing.

Silly thing to say. Given is a fantastic keeper and the Best in the EPL. To say otherwise is foolish.

Silly thing to say. Given is a fantastic keeper and the Best in the EPL. To say otherwise is foolish.

I say Pepe Reina is the best keeper in England so I am a fool. You are probably right. Shay has been incredibly unlucky with duff central defenders. Hardly ever keeping a clean sheet is just a coincidence.

Dunne is too slow (hence his magnificent total of red cards) & will eventually get found out at Villa, Richards makes too many mistakes & relies on his pace to get out of trouble - still young so may yet learn the art of defending. Given is a great keeper and has bailed out his defence for both Newcastle & Man City on many occasions. Lescott & Toure have yet to convince but may gel in time.

As far as Hughes is concerned I don't think he was the right man for the job to begin with but should have been given at least until March/April to prove he was.

I say Pepe Reina is the best keeper in England so I am a fool. You are probably right. Shay has been incredibly unlucky with duff central defenders. Hardly ever keeping a clean sheet is just a coincidence.

Given never makes mistakes. He makes solid saves every game. And nearly every goal scored into him he can do nothing about. It's the defence thats to belame. How can a keeper play top of his game when he isn't fully confident of the players infront of him?

I think the city board as too quick to blame Huges. They expect him to win week in, week out buy just throwing money at him. They dont realise that it takes time to build a decent team that will jell and be solid throughout. It was the defence that lets them, the attacking force was superb, and midfeild likewise. But, if they let Huges have untill the end of the season, im sure he would of brought in a few decent singings at the back and sorted their problems. And will the new manager do better than Huges... its hard to say, its abit of a gamble to be honest.

I think that the board could quite easily kept him on till at least the summer at least and should have. They could easily limit his January spending - "you've spent ?250million, we await a return on our investment" - Hughes could hardly have argued

In all fairness to the board if my manager came to me and suggested we spend around ?14 million on Kolo Toure I'd probably sack him then and there. Highly overrated and Wenger was not all that fussed to lose him and would have been delighted to get all that dosh for him. I'd rather have Dunne to be honest. Have you seen how defencively tight Villa are this season?!