The Highland Council staff

Feb82000

Where are they all the time should be the question.

Sunday, everyone had to park their cars at the bottom of our road and out on other streets because of the snow. About 200 houses and nobody could travel up the street, just because the highland council are too cheap to work on sundays, even then because its not a main road it didn't get gritted until late monday night. Travelling about a lot of roads that are busy and used regularly but not classed as main roads were not gritted. Typical Highland council.

Trunk roads, bus routes, city/town centres are all given priority before housing estates. At a time when the whole country is cutting back on spending would you want the council to spend millions on gritters to sit at a depot 10 months of the year? What about stretching the existing resources to breaking point. If your journey isn't essential stay put, if it is then take care. Simples.

Trunk roads, bus routes, city/town centres are all given priority before housing estates. At a time when the whole country is cutting back on spending would you want the council to spend millions on gritters to sit at a depot 10 months of the year? What about stretching the existing resources to breaking point. If your journey isn't essential stay put, if it is then take care. Simples.

They have to keep cash aside for these ever so helpful Gaelic/English roadsigns that are sprouting up all over the place. All these poor non-English speaking Gaels from South Uist would be lost without them.

For all of you that are having problems getting around on untreated roads - tough chit.

My dad works for Moray Council road maintance which includes gritting the roads and i would imagine things are the same in moray than they are in highlands

The whole region is divised into routes there is only 1 gritter per route though which means if its continually snowing the whole day the gritter would stay on the main roads to keep them open and side roads are then not a piority, and this is the case to the main roads are black and the decision is made that the road will not need gritting for the next 2 hours to go and do side roads

I know this isnt the case this time but in Feburary this area was a hit with a ft of snow overnight and every1 complained the roads were starting to be gritted until 10am the simple reason was every1 on duty was snowed in too the gritter drivers are human too and are also affected by the snow

Just had my Fecking Christmas Dance cancelled because the lazy ******** can't be arsed gritting and ploughing the roads again!

They normally plough them in the spring DC. :)

Oh right. Plowing is it for this one?

Actually either spelling is ok DC, however it's the snow they plough and not the roads.

To be honest I think they have done a good job. I was working all day on Sunday and I go from house to house in my car. The main roads were ok and they needed to be done several times. It was more beneficial for me to have these main routes clear. I did struggle in the streets but I made it.

I do agree that the pavements need done but the main priority for me are the main routes.

Just had my Fecking Christmas Dance cancelled because the lazy ******** can't be arsed gritting and ploughing the roads again!

They normally plough them in the spring DC. :(

Oh right. Plowing is it for this one?

Actually either spelling is ok DC, however it's the snow they plough and not the roads.

Oh right, i see.

Remember as well that if you have any defined trunk roads in your area then it's not the Council that have responsibility. The Scottish Government have responsibility for assigning the contract for that - think it's still BEAR.

The council prioritises the roads they have and will only get round to minor roads once priority routes have been done. Sometimes they are fighting a losing battle and, as has been mentioned previously, with budget pressures they have limited resources to work with. Most councils will supply a grit bin to streets free of charge and keep it filled if asked so that local residents can reduce the effects of bad weather on their bit of the pavement/road. Speak to your Roads Department regarding that. I was out myself last night gritting my pavement and driveway from the council grit bin that's in our street (we have 2 bins in our small street - one either end).

The other thing to bear in mind is that northern councils have a disproportionate financial burden for winter maintenance in comparison to more southern Scottish councils i.e. snow up north more frequent than down here in tropical central Scotland. Highland, Moray, etc will have to find the budget out of the same relative level of funding that other councils have.

Shocking, the gritters were in our street yesterday and they still haven't touched my drive,what do i pay council tax for!!!!

They came round the corner too...but it had zero impact!

A wee bit of trivia for y'all....did you know...there are more Snow Plows/Gritters in London than there is in the Whole of Scotland

At the risk of boring everyone, we have over 4 feet of snow in Latvia, the main roads are gritted every day and small tractors clear the side roads

Most apartments employ people to look after the houses ie gardens, and in the winter, the people and they are mostly, female, pensioners, clear the snow and pavements of their respective apartments. I left for work yesterday and at 4am the old lady ( babushka) was up clearing the snow

No regional council just common sense!!!

Most apartments employ people to look after the houses ie gardens, and in the winter, the people and they are mostly, female, pensioners, clear the snow and pavements of their respective apartments. I left for work yesterday and at 4am the old lady ( babushka) was up clearing the snow

I have an old lady to clear the snow and look after the house,but she says by the time she's done the dishes,ironing and cooking she's too tired to clear the snow as well and suggested what i should do with my snow shovel :rolleyes:

I have an old lady to clear the snow and look after the house,but she says by the time she's done the dishes,ironing and cooking she's too tired to clear the snow as well and suggested what i should do with my snow shovel :icon_santa:

Do you really need to ask :rolleyes:

Shocking, the gritters were in our street yesterday and they still haven't touched my drive,what do i pay council tax for!!!!

A wee bit of trivia for y'all....did you know...there are more Snow Plows/Gritters in London than there is in the Whole of Scotland

please tell me that isnt true :rolleyes:

It probably is; I can well believe it.

For what it's worth, Glasgow City Council is just the same. In fact, where I live it doesn't look like any of the roads have been gritted, even the main ones, and the pavements are even worse. Yesterday I needed ice skates to get to work.

Tis true enuff!

Actually....i thought it was B.E.A.R Scotland that was supposed to do the gritting on the Highlands, or is it just main routes they do?

Trunk roads are contracted to bear by Scottish Parliament. Councils are responsible for the rest but they prioritise bus routes and town centres.

As for the quantity of gritters in London vs Scotland the population is around the same.

Merry Xmas btw. bedtime for Santa.