SLR Digital Camera - Advice

MrsICTFC

was thinking of upgrading to a nikon d5000 or a canon eos/digital rebel later next year but will narrow the choice down closer to purchase time .... in the meantime,highly recommend this site to help in the choice: http://www.dpreview.com/

Thanks for that link. Do you know of anywhere in the town that I could go and speak to someone. I know we have Jessops, is there any you might know of?

I've got a Canon 450 - good camera, but to get the best out of it you need to budget for a decent lens as well, as the 18-55 that comes by default is only OK. The f2.8 35mm prime gives fantastic results, and because of the sensor size is actually equivalent to around 50mm focal length in 35mm film camera terms. The 55-250 zoom is also excellent if you want that sort of length - equivalent to around 85-400 in 35mm terms. With that you could take a pic from the north stand of someone in the south stand and just about be able to read the headline on their newspaper!

What Fly said.

Plus - what sort of photos are you wanting to take? Have you already got a compact and outgrown it?

I have 2 DSLRs but you have to actively go out taking photos with all that heavy gear. Also you get a different reaction from people as they think you're a 'real' photographer, e.g. you can't get into gigs, and stewards at the football give you hassle.

I actually bought a compact for my summer trip to Canada and used it far more than my DSLR. Also it's easier to hump it up Munros and suchlike.

What Mantis said.

If you've used a film SLR before and don't mind the lens changing, the equipment bag, and expectations from officialdom that you're a 'professional' photographer then it's well worth getting. It's all going to be down to what you're wanting to use it for and where, and how much creative control you want over images and so on.

I had a Canon EOS500N (film) with a few lens from 1997, then decided to go digital in 2003 and swapped to an Olympus 350UZ (on Mantis' recommendation), then in 2005 a Fuji 9500 - both of these are 'bridge' cameras, so with better optics than a standard compact, and bulkier, but with no lens changing (which is both a 'pro' and a 'con' depending). I got the Canon EOS450D last year, as DSLRs were then down to an affordable price.

If I'm going somewhere that I don't want too much hassle of lens changing or the 'professional photographer' thing, then I just put on the 35mm f2.8 prime and the camera is then pocketable (just!).

One other useful thing is that old film camera lenses with the same mount can be used on a digital camera - so my Canon EF lenses from 1997 also fit and work on their digital cameras which all have the same EF mount, similar I think with Nikon. You'll need to have had a fairly decent lens in the first place though, as the high resolution images magnify any optic imperfections. It also means however that you can also consider (very) second-hand lenses - anything in the last 20 years from Canon. You'll need to magnify the 35mm focal length by 1.6x to get the equivalent digital focal length though, because of the smaller image sensor on the 450/500/40/50 ranges - only the top pro 1D/5D have 35mm size sensors.

I'm only an average amateur, but if you want to see some of the pics I've taken with my 450D check out the following link - these pics have been processed, resized and cropped, and quality reduced for the web, but it will give you an idea of what the camera can do: http://pixec.fotopic.net/c1740129.html

PS: To give you an idea of the 55-250 lens quality, the mountains in this picture are twelve miles from where I took the picture and it's only been slightly cropped:

http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=yzusjo&a...&quality=70

And this picture was taken from around 4 miles away, again only slightly cropped:

http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=yzusjp&a...&quality=70

And this intrusion on a private moment was taken on a Swiss munro!

http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=yzusjr&a...&quality=70

Edited by The Fly

I've been considering a DSLR for a couple of years....I'm definitely amateur when it comes to photography, but would like the option to be a little more adventurous every now and then.

It's the whole "carrying multiple lenses" thing that's put me off taking the plunge so far and I'm currently giving consideration to doing the "half way there" thing and have been looking at the Canon Powershot SX series which range in price from about ?250 to ?500 depending on just how much functionality you want.....although, having had a couple of Kodaks in the last few years the Z980 has also caught my eye - currently have a Z650 which will take a wide angle, fish eye and telephoto attachment via the lens adapter....although it can be a little fiddly to make them work right.

Thanks for the great replies guys!

We have had a look about today and the two we were considering were the CanonEOS450d and the Sony Alpha 380.

We really are just starting out and are really wanting it for great pictures on our trips around Scotland. They are great pics The Fly. I think we would just buy the basics and build it up during the year.

Some cracking images there. The Fly's right. The 450D is a great buy. I've actually got a 400D (superseded by the 450) and a 40D but I'm thinking of selling the 400D sometime soon and upgrading to a 5D :crazy03:

I was very keen on Olympus but when I came to upgrade to a DSLR the Canon 400D was streets ahead at the time, for the money.

Peter Paul used a 350D for ages (which came before the 400D) and he got some cracking shots at the matches- the lenses are what matter.

He's got a posh camera now though.

• 2 weeks later...

I owe ya an apology Mrs....i was supposed to get back to you with info on the camera my mate bought. iN MY DEFENCE...I did remember to ask him...i just forgot to follow that up and let you know :P

I owe ya an apology Mrs....i was supposed to get back to you with info on the camera my mate bought. iN MY DEFENCE...I did remember to ask him...i just forgot to follow that up and let you know :P

lol! That's ok! Out of interest what camera was it?x