Boyd for Scotland

RowdyBey

Boyd's circumstances are way different to that of the Dickheid-Two. Ferguson and MacGregor should never play again IMHO, but if Boyd wants to then he should be considered.

Yeah, sure, sticking up two fingers to journos whilst accepting being dropped is a lot worse than saying you didn't even want to be on that bench.

Even if you accept Boyd only scores against diddy teams (and I don't - his manager plays a headless chicken in a very defensive line-up, so Boys rarely plays against them), then who is the quality striker he's keeping out that's going to score against those teams and the higher ones? Is it the non-scoring strikers of Fletcher, Miller and McFadden? They all NEED a striker to play alongside them as their best work is outside the box. Plus, both Miller and Fletcher were playing in the same league as Boyd - one even in the same team. How do their goal ratios stack up?

For what it's worth, I don't feel giving the vicky to Traynor and his cronies is worth a ban anyway (in fact, I'd applaud it), so I'd have Fergie and McGregor back. I can understand Boyd's frustration but he got the call wrong. He should have slated his manager and called for a change but said he was still willing to play for his country. Result would have been he would have probably been dropped anyway. In this day and age, Boyd is the best striker we've got, so plays as it's good for Scotland.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll be back in the squad. Even if he doesn't get a game his presence will be good in terms of competition for starting places. I thought the way he threw the dummy out of the pram was silly. Iwelemo's miss was a shocker beyond shocking.

It'll be interesting to see how fans react to Boyd and Co if they play again for Scotland... I think quite a few people may well boo them.

Make them all available. Ferguson won't start, but will probably make the squads, Mcgregor will always be number two to Gordon, and Boyd is desperately needed. He may have scored all but a few goals against weaker opposition whilst playing for Rangers but, for Scotland and Kilmarnock, he was in the weak teams. Was he not the third or fourth highest scorer in the SPL by the time he left Kilmarnock? I think his issue was with Burley, not with Scotland, and he had no other way of expressing his displeasure at not getting picked. He's only 26 and made an error but, I don't want that error to hold Scotland back.

McGregor was in the wrong, having a late night sesh with backwards Barry, But he is a good goalkeeper and is good cover for Gordon, simple as that. As for Barry Ferguson, he is a terrible footballer and can GTF

Before this season I would have agreed but he is doing a brilliant job for Birmingham by sitting in front of the defence and allowing Lee Boywer to break forward hence he has started scoring goals

I do not want him back. Any player that did what he did should not be alowed to play for his country again. No wonder players believe they are bigger than the Clubs now-a-days when their country do things like this!

And his goalscoring? Lets see....He has scored a grand total of 1 goal against Celtic, and he has scored very few in Europian Competions. He has scored 8 goals for Scotland? Most of which have been penatlies. In a team like Scotlands, you need all the players working together. Getting behing the ball. Like Rangers did in their UEFA cup run. Its the way we will progress. But Boyd doesn't do that. Hence the reason Smith left him out of so many Rangers Europian games.

I would take Iwelumo ahead of him. He is a proven goalscorer in the Championship which is a higher level than the SPL. Score 5 against a Dundee United side who looked like they were all headless. But he cannot do it against the big boys.

Iwelumo a proven scorer in the Chamionship?! Really? I seem to remember him having one good half season in his whole career before getting injured and idsappearing to the Wolves bench. He is Humpty! Burley should have been dismissed the instance he picked him over Boyd. I wouldnt say the championship is of a huge difference in level to the SPL. Given some pretty average players have went there and done a job from here. There is more money there certainly but thats the same anywhere really.

Fact is Burley ballzed up alot. He was awful in terms of media handling. Calling your draft in a player with limited ability - some might say it was genious mind. He did score the opener against Iceland away.

Boyd made the wrong call. It was obviously something that was upsetting him. He never got more than 20 minutes in 6 games under Burley. He then went stuff it to get his club form back - it did work for him.

David Healy is awful at club level - he really has done nothing but he is a goal machine for Northern Ireland. He has a natural finishers knack in a team that lacks quality but works hard to get him chances. International level may be higher but its very different to the club game. Teams may be higher in quality but natural finishers often flourish against less tight knit defences.

I dont really see what the boozegate 2 really did wrong other than have a stupid bender that other players were involved in. They were obviously given permission to drink but I'd imagine given no guidelines otherwise. They took it too far - Big deal! It happens. They then decided to act like idiots on the bench - having a wee giggle to themselves. It was hardly a cardinal sin. Childish yes. Disgraceful no. The Lifetime ban only ever meant till we punted Burley. It was just used to make it appear George wasn't completely out of control. I very much doubt anyone at the top expected it to be that though.

McGregor was in the wrong, having a late night sesh with backwards Barry, But he is a good goalkeeper and is good cover for Gordon, simple as that. As for Barry Ferguson, he is a terrible footballer and can GTF

Before this season I would have agreed but he is doing a brilliant job for Birmingham by sitting in front of the defence and allowing Lee Boywer to break forward hence he has started scoring goals

Football fans do have very short memories. Ferguson was chosen above Paul le Guen mainly because Fergie was playing out of his skin despite the poor tactics and terrible signings. Then Ferguson dragged Rangers by the teeth to the UEFA Cup Final, where Advocaat targetted the midfielder as the main threat. After being out with a serious injury, Barry then came back but played poorly alongside Mendes.

I know people want to believe Ferguson has played poorly for Rangers for years but it's just not the case. The reports are online from the periods mentioned if you want to check.

And his goalscoring? Lets see...

All time record in the SPL speaks volumes for me, especially given the fact he is only 26.

And if he scores 5 goals against Europe's 'diddy teams' in Scotland colours then I'll be happy.

In a team like Scotlands...

Let me finish this statement for you.

.. we need the highest quality players dispensable to us. We simply cannot afford to ignore the scoring exploits of someone like Boyd, when we are struggling to compete with the likes of Norway, Georgia and Wales.

If we are to progress as a nation then we need the best players we have playing.

I would take Iwelumo ahead of him. He is a proven goalscorer in the Championship which is a higher level than the SPL. Score 5 against a Dundee United side who looked like they were all headless. But he cannot do it against the big boys.

You need to take off your tri-colored spectacles if you would rather see Iwelumo in Scotland colours ahead of Boyd.

Off topic however, but I don't think Ferguson and MacGregor should be playing for Scotland again.

Its funny, you mention Norway like they are a diddy team. Something they are not. Norway are a good side. I think we have a habbit in this country. A bad habbit. One good run in a qualifiying campaign and suddenly we are world beaters? No, we need to remember our place. We are not *****, but i think we just had a really good period to get to 13th in the world rankings.

When Boyd proves himself at a higher level than the SPL, then i might cosider him a decent footballer. But currently, he is scoring against League 2 level sides. Celtic are a top quarter Championship team. Yet he can't even score against them. Sums it up for me.

Scotland strike force of.................. McFadden----------Fletcher----------McCormack.

It may be only in the SPL that Boyd is a proven goal scorer, but at least he is scoring regulary, which can't be said for most of the other strikers in the Scotland squad.

But Fletcher has scored a few in the EPL. Something Boyd wouldn't do.

I know people want to believe Ferguson has played poorly for Rangers for years but it's just not the case. The reports are online from the periods mentioned if you want to check.

Any time we played Rangers I thought Ferguson's quality was there for all to see.

Funnily enough, one midweek at Parkheid we lost 3-0 and I began to see what it was that Lennon contributed as well.

Yet still all the armchair managers keep saying what poor players the OF have. I have very little time for the twins of evil but if their players were all shyte they'd be in the SFL beside us.

That's not really based on anything though. Boyd scored more goals in the SPL at both Killie and Rangers than Fletcher did, when he was at Hibs. That suggests to me Boyd is a better goal-scorer.

I do wish he would go to Brum and prove the doubters wrong. I think he's the best finisher Scotland's had since McCoist. Put him in a team that doesn't play backs to the wall whenever there's a remote chance of a draw and he would score. But Walter Smith is very defensive minded against the better teams (and I'm not saying that's wrong of him), hence the lack of goals.

And his goalscoring? Lets see...

All time record in the SPL speaks volumes for me, especially given the fact he is only 26.

And if he scores 5 goals against Europe's 'diddy teams' in Scotland colours then I'll be happy.

In a team like Scotlands...

Let me finish this statement for you.

.. we need the highest quality players dispensable to us. We simply cannot afford to ignore the scoring exploits of someone like Boyd, when we are struggling to compete with the likes of Norway, Georgia and Wales.

If we are to progress as a nation then we need the best players we have playing.

You need to take off your tri-colored spectacles if you would rather see Iwelumo in Scotland colours ahead of Boyd.

Off topic however, but I don't think Ferguson and MacGregor should be playing for Scotland again.

Its funny, you mention Norway like they are a diddy team. Something they are not. Norway are a good side. I think we have a habbit in this country. A bad habbit. One good run in a qualifiying campaign and suddenly we are world beaters? No, we need to remember our place. We are not *****, but i think we just had a really good period to get to 13th in the world rankings.

When Boyd proves himself at a higher level than the SPL, then i might cosider him a decent footballer. But currently, he is scoring against League 2 level sides. Celtic are a top quarter Championship team. Yet he can't even score against them. Sums it up for me.

Scotland strike force of.................. McFadden----------Fletcher----------McCormack.

It may be only in the SPL that Boyd is a proven goal scorer, but at least he is scoring regulary, which can't be said for most of the other strikers in the Scotland squad.

Boyd for certain wouldnt score in the EPL? Thats a certainty yeah? I'm not so sure. Put the ball in the 6 yard box and more often than not he is in the right place to tuck it away and does. Granted he does not have some of the aboves skill. But look at the Hibs game just passed, Scored 1 and set up the other 3. I've said it before but boyd is up near the top of Rangers assist table in the last 2 years. He does more than just score.

And Besides Dickov managed to score in the EPL. Think he may have got 7 total for Scotland if he's lucky.

The SPL on average is a league 1/lower championship in standard. The old firm could compete in the premiership. They do no worse in the champions league than say, a Bolton, would do.

So you have McFadden, Fletcher and McCormack. McCormack who was dumped by Rangers or Fletcher who was ignored by the OF until his price was too high. And our talisman obviously who cant pass a ball. He's like a rich mans Dougie Imrie. rarely looks up.

And Ferguson was very good for Rangers before his injury, which he played through. Is the only player Scotland have, capable of making play (D.Fletcher does the simple stuff and allows others to play through his graft, and Brown runs around alot and can run with the ball at feet but isnt really a playmaker.)

Too many people look at the OF and say that their players are SH*** but could it be they are good players playing with other good players as opposed to above average playing with mediocre players? Fact is, the old firm have the best nucleus of Scottish talent as shown by league position. They cherry pick the best for themselves. They dont suddenly become bad because they play for the OF and may not shine so bright as they did at Humpty FC.

To round up i totally agree with Levien. We are not good enough to ignore anyone. Particularly anyone who scores 160 goals by the time he is 26.

Proving that he's not as good as Barrowman.

Very good comparison Yngwie . Borrowman could score for fun in the lower leagues but was found wanting in the SPL , Boyd similarly can score at will it seems against the dross of the SPL but is found wanting in Europe and in the big SPL games .

I'd like to point out I dont agree with Boyds actions before but I do understand why he did what he did. Frustration clearly got the better of him and he made a stupid call which he felt he had to stick by.

I also dont think he's a fantastic striker. I would say, however, he is better than David Healy. And Scotland are probably just better than Northern Ireland (on paper)

I do think however to ignore his knack of putting the ball in the net would be cutting ones nose of to spite themselves.

He made a bad judgement call. For that some will never forgive - fair enough. I however am up for giving him a 2nd chance. As with Ferguson, as with McGregor. Quite simply as they all have something to offer Scotland.

Also did Boyd not single handedly win the Scottish Cup and League cup for Rangers. Big games if you ask me.

I'd like to point out I dont agree with Boyds actions before but I do understand why he did what he did. Frustration clearly got the better of him and he made a stupid call which he felt he had to stick by.

I also dont think he's a fantastic striker. I would say, however, he is better than David Healy. And Scotland are probably just better than Northern Ireland (on paper)

I do think however to ignore his knack of putting the ball in the net would be cutting ones nose of to spite themselves.

He made a bad judgement call. For that some will never forgive - fair enough. I however am up for giving him a 2nd chance. As with Ferguson, as with McGregor. Quite simply as they all have something to offer Scotland.

Also did Boyd not single handedly win the Scottish Cup and League cup for Rangers. Big games if you ask me.

Big games granted but still against diddy teams .

How many chances does Boyd get against the bigger teams? Rangers are set up to draw in the champions league, hence why he doesn't get played. On Sunday, he had one opportunity to shoot and he did it straight away, without any hesitation, even though it was blocked. We don't have any other striker with as much confidence in himself as Boyd. People don't want him played because he looks like a *** but, were people not asking for Black to be in the squad? If Don Cowie gets in the squad then I think Boyd should be there. He's far better than Mcfadden. Mcfadden just had the fortune of being taken to EPL when he was younger as no SPL team can afford to bring him back here now. I don't see why there's even debate over Boyd's ability.

Boyd is a naturally gifted finisher. Which are few and far between is Scotland. In fact he's probably the only one in Scotland capable of playing at international level. Whereas Faddy, McCormack and Fletcher are probably the more gifted players, we need options.

and i agree that whilst being a tad cocky, we need a bit of that in players. We have too many timid, shy pros who dont want to stand and be counted and would rather just go about their business without fuss.

I can't see why there should be any debate; Boyd is far and away the best striker Scotland have got or have had for many years. His record speaks for itself and is even more impressive when you consider the number of times he has only appeared as a substitute. He should be first on the team sheet with a side picked to compliment his strengths. If there was a UK team he would be the only Scot in the squad on present form.

Its a bit like saying Don Bradman should not have been in the Australian Cricket team. "yes, he scored a few runs but what else did he contribute to the team?"

I can't see why there should be any debate; Boyd is far and away the best striker Scotland have got or have had for many years. His record speaks for itself and is even more impressive when you consider the number of times he has only appeared as a substitute. He should be first on the team sheet with a side picked to compliment his strengths. If there was a UK team he would be the only Scot in the squad on present form.

Its a bit like saying Don Bradman should not have been in the Australian Cricket team. "yes, he scored a few runs but what else did he contribute to the team?"

:D Sweet Jesus , where do you start with that :rolleyes: