Boyd for Scotland

RowdyBey

IMO Id welcome back all 3 and i believe that maybe scotland should play the same way we do as in formation

--------------------Gordon--------------------

--Hutton---S.Caldwell---Berra----Wallace--

-------------Ferguson--D.Fletcher------------

----Brown---------McFadden--------Miller---

----------------------Boyd---------------------

Boyd is an out and out striker and his best postion is in and around teh box so let Brown,Mcfadden and Miller do the donkey work and getting the ball to him and surely he will score against anyone! maybe even a McFadden special again could be on the cards :D

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And his goalscoring? Lets see...

All time record in the SPL speaks volumes for me, especially given the fact he is only 26.

And if he scores 5 goals against Europe's 'diddy teams' in Scotland colours then I'll be happy.

In a team like Scotlands...

Let me finish this statement for you.

.. we need the highest quality players dispensable to us. We simply cannot afford to ignore the scoring exploits of someone like Boyd, when we are struggling to compete with the likes of Norway, Georgia and Wales.

If we are to progress as a nation then we need the best players we have playing.

I would take Iwelumo ahead of him. He is a proven goalscorer in the Championship which is a higher level than the SPL. Score 5 against a Dundee United side who looked like they were all headless. But he cannot do it against the big boys.

You need to take off your tri-colored spectacles if you would rather see Iwelumo in Scotland colours ahead of Boyd.

Off topic however, but I don't think Ferguson and MacGregor should be playing for Scotland again.

Its funny, you mention Norway like they are a diddy team. Something they are not. Norway are a good side. I think we have a habbit in this country. A bad habbit. One good run in a qualifiying campaign and suddenly we are world beaters? No, we need to remember our place. We are not *****, but i think we just had a really good period to get to 13th in the world rankings.

When Boyd proves himself at a higher level than the SPL, then i might cosider him a decent footballer. But currently, he is scoring against League 2 level sides. Celtic are a top quarter Championship team. Yet he can't even score against them. Sums it up for me.

Scotland strike force of.................. McFadden----------Fletcher----------McCormack.

It may be only in the SPL that Boyd is a proven goal scorer, but at least he is scoring regulary, which can't be said for most of the other strikers in the Scotland squad.

But Fletcher has scored a few in the EPL. Something Boyd wouldn't do.

Boyd for certain wouldnt score in the EPL? Thats a certainty yeah? I'm not so sure. Put the ball in the 6 yard box and more often than not he is in the right place to tuck it away and does. Granted he does not have some of the aboves skill. But look at the Hibs game just passed, Scored 1 and set up the other 3. I've said it before but boyd is up near the top of Rangers assist table in the last 2 years. He does more than just score.

And Besides Dickov managed to score in the EPL. Think he may have got 7 total for Scotland if he's lucky.

The SPL on average is a league 1/lower championship in standard. The old firm could compete in the premiership. They do no worse in the champions league than say, a Bolton, would do.

So you have McFadden, Fletcher and McCormack. McCormack who was dumped by Rangers or Fletcher who was ignored by the OF until his price was too high. And our talisman obviously who cant pass a ball. He's like a rich mans Dougie Imrie. rarely looks up.

And Ferguson was very good for Rangers before his injury, which he played through. Is the only player Scotland have, capable of making play (D.Fletcher does the simple stuff and allows others to play through his graft, and Brown runs around alot and can run with the ball at feet but isnt really a playmaker.)

Too many people look at the OF and say that their players are SH*** but could it be they are good players playing with other good players as opposed to above average playing with mediocre players? Fact is, the old firm have the best nucleus of Scottish talent as shown by league position. They cherry pick the best for themselves. They dont suddenly become bad because they play for the OF and may not shine so bright as they did at Humpty FC.

To round up i totally agree with Levien. We are not good enough to ignore anyone. Particularly anyone who scores 160 goals by the time he is 26, In Scotland.

Changed the last bit for you. Its fine and well saying he scores that many, but you have to take into consideration how **** the teams are up here! Look at Bellamy. He scored for fun up here. He would top Boyd in the Scoring records if he was still at Celtic. But back in England, he works is arse off. He is known as a great finisher down in England. He is a great player. Yet most seasons he only just makes it into double figures. I don't think i have seen a striker like Boyd who has actually managed to do well in the EPL. A poacher doesn't make it in England.....Same goes for a International team who arn't exactly great.

And btw, just because he has scored penalties for Dcotland doesn't make him a good International Striker.

How many chances does Boyd get against the bigger teams? Rangers are set up to draw in the champions league, hence why he doesn't get played. On Sunday, he had one opportunity to shoot and he did it straight away, without any hesitation, even though it was blocked. We don't have any other striker with as much confidence in himself as Boyd. People don't want him played because he looks like a *** but, were people not asking for Black to be in the squad? If Don Cowie gets in the squad then I think Boyd should be there. He's far better than Mcfadden. Mcfadden just had the fortune of being taken to EPL when he was younger as no SPL team can afford to bring him back here now. I don't see why there's even debate over Boyd's ability.

The only abilities Boyd has are being ugly as ****, and scoring against **** teams. McFadden works. He works like ****. Remember some of his great goals for Scotland? Lets look at his latest one. Boyd would never be seen that far back on a football pitch to get the ball there, he doesn't have the skill to get past players the way McFadden did, he also doesn't have the tanasity to keep going when it looks like the ball might be lost. Boyd is a one trick pony. And in a higher level of Football to the SPL, you gotta' have more than one trick.

And btw, just because he has scored penalties for Dcotland doesn't make him a good International Striker.

The only abilities Boyd has are being ugly as ****

Lets deal in facts - 7 goals for Scotland in 15 games. ONE of which was a penalty against Faroes. Let me run through the rest of the goals for you to clarify-

GOAL 1 - v Bulgaria - "Premier League top-scorer Boyd took just 13 minutes to claim his maiden goal with a fine first-time finish as he latched on to Darren Fletcher's perfectly placed pass to lash in an angled drive. "

GOAL 2 - v Bulgaria - "Boyd, however, put his side back in front two minutes before the break when he was first to react after Stoyan Kolev spilled Russell Anderson's shot following a well-placed cross by Teale."

GOAL 3 - v Faroe - "Fortune continued to smile on the Scots when a penalty was given for a trip on Boyd after 23 minutes. The award looked a soft one and the Rangers striker's spot-kick was not well executed but slid under Mikkelsen."

GOAL 4 - v Faroe - "Boyd doubled his tally on 38 minutes, running on to a fine Fletcher pass and slotting into an empty net after Mikkelsen had blocked his initial shot."

GOAL 5 - v Georgia - "Kris Boyd opened the scoring, heading home from a precise Gary Teale cross in the 11th minute."

GOAL 6 - v S Africa - "Scotland improved after the break and Boyd scored with a half-volley after 71 minutes following a superb ball from captain Darren Fletcher."

GOAL 7 - v Lithuania - "A glancing header from Kris Boyd gave the Scots a half-time lead."

Quotes from BBC website via links from Wikipedia.

Consider also that he has only made 6 starts in full international matches, in which he scored 6 goals. 8 of his caps were as a substitute (3 of which were in the last 10 mins of the game, including one where he came on in the 90th min, while a further 2 were in 70mins+). Info for this came from the SFA website.

Yes, the 'ugly' Boyd apparently only scores penalties for Scotland. :D

Personally speaking, I think Boyd needs to play in a set-up where he is supported by a 'work horse' striking partner. Sometimes this isn't an option/luxury that Scotland can work with in a game where we are playing against a top side and are playing for a draw or stolen goal. However, in the opportunities that he has been given for Scotland, the FACTS show that he has actually returned a decent scoring record.

A poacher doesn't make it in England

Rubbish. What about Gary Lineker, Ian Rush, Andy Cole, John Aldridge, Dimitir Berbatov, Ian Wright. None of them were any use outside the box.

And your point is caller? Would you turn down Wayne Rooney on that point? Leave the personal insults to the playground.

McFadden works. He works like ****. Remember some of his great goals for Scotland? Lets look at his latest one. Boyd would never be seen that far back on a football pitch to get the ball there, he doesn't have the skill to get past players the way McFadden did, he also doesn't have the tanasity to keep going when it looks like the ball might be lost. Boyd is a one trick pony. And in a higher level of Football to the SPL, you gotta' have more than one trick.

McFadden? A work horse? I actually support Everton and most Toffee fans were delighted to get rid of him as he added so little due to his poor work-rate.

Boyd and McFadden are completely different types of players. Peter Beardsley was a far more skillful player than Gary Lineker that would drop deep and pick up. Beardsley was far more hard-working too, whilst Lineker could barely pass the ball, couldn't tackle and rarely took players on. But he did something else. He scored regularly. Looks easy but it's the toughest job on the pitch.

Besides which, McFadden hasn't played striker regularly at club level in years.

There is no-one that comes anywhere remotely near Boyd's goal-scoring record. To not put him in in favour of strikers that do their best work outside the box but rarely score is crazy.

Could all those on this thread who are critical of Boyd coming back into the Scotland picture, kindly suggest who they would rather see in his place?

Someone, anyone, who has not turned their back on the nation and regards the honour of wearing the dark blue just that, not a poor substitute for light blue. I'd play Ronnie from the Corries before this Judas.

Could all those on this thread who are critical of Boyd coming back into the Scotland picture, kindly suggest who they would rather see in his place?

Anyone who is genuinely committed to representing their country rather than a self serving egotist with much less ability than he apparently thinks he has who believes that he has the right to pick and choose what games he is prepared to play and which manager he is willing to serve under !

Someone, anyone, who has not turned their back on the nation and regards the honour of wearing the dark blue just that, not a poor substitute for light blue. I'd play Ronnie from the Corries before this Judas.

:D

I think our Ronnie might just be a wee bit short of full match fitness...

Thanks for the suggestion though, Sorted....

Any advance on Ronnie from the Corries?

:D

I think our Ronnie might just be a wee bit short of full match fitness...

Thanks for the suggestion though, Sorted....

Any advance on Ronnie from the Corries?

No-one can answer your question with the name of another football player that they genuinely believe is better than Boyd.

Depends how you define "better".

In addition to Ronnie for me it would be "better" to play Kevin Kyle, Garry O'Connor, Leigh Griffiths, Chris Sitter, James McFadden, Lee Miller, Derek Riordan or a six man midfield than Boyd. Add to the list anyone else who has not ridiculed my nation and I will be quite happy.

For the record, Boyd has an unquestionable history as a goalscorer against teams of a certain level. This changes as the opposition gets tougher. It could be argued quite legitimately that any of the above could have the same impact given the opportunity afforded Boyd.

Edited by Sorted

Lets deal in facts - 7 goals for Scotland in 15 games. ONE of which was a penalty against Faroes. Let me run through the rest of the goals for you to clarify-

GOAL 1 - v Bulgaria - "Premier League top-scorer Boyd took just 13 minutes to claim his maiden goal with a fine first-time finish as he latched on to Darren Fletcher's perfectly placed pass to lash in an angled drive. "

GOAL 2 - v Bulgaria - "Boyd, however, put his side back in front two minutes before the break when he was first to react after Stoyan Kolev spilled Russell Anderson's shot following a well-placed cross by Teale."

GOAL 3 - v Faroe - "Fortune continued to smile on the Scots when a penalty was given for a trip on Boyd after 23 minutes. The award looked a soft one and the Rangers striker's spot-kick was not well executed but slid under Mikkelsen."

GOAL 4 - v Faroe - "Boyd doubled his tally on 38 minutes, running on to a fine Fletcher pass and slotting into an empty net after Mikkelsen had blocked his initial shot."

GOAL 5 - v Georgia - "Kris Boyd opened the scoring, heading home from a precise Gary Teale cross in the 11th minute."

GOAL 6 - v S Africa - "Scotland improved after the break and Boyd scored with a half-volley after 71 minutes following a superb ball from captain Darren Fletcher."

GOAL 7 - v Lithuania - "A glancing header from Kris Boyd gave the Scots a half-time lead."

Quotes from BBC website via links from Wikipedia.

Consider also that he has only made 6 starts in full international matches, in which he scored 6 goals. 8 of his caps were as a substitute (3 of which were in the last 10 mins of the game, including one where he came on in the 90th min, while a further 2 were in 70mins+). Info for this came from the SFA website.

Yes, the 'ugly' Boyd apparently only scores penalties for Scotland. :rolleyes:

Personally speaking, I think Boyd needs to play in a set-up where he is supported by a 'work horse' striking partner. Sometimes this isn't an option/luxury that Scotland can work with in a game where we are playing against a top side and are playing for a draw or stolen goal. However, in the opportunities that he has been given for Scotland, the FACTS show that he has actually returned a decent scoring record.

Ok, fair enough. But look at those teams he scored against. We should be beating them anyway. With or without him. Its the teams such as Norway and Greece that we should be looking to challange. And i doubt Boyd will be a big hit against them.

A poacher doesn't make it in England

Rubbish. What about Gary Lineker, Ian Rush, Andy Cole, John Aldridge, Dimitir Berbatov, Ian Wright. None of them were any use outside the box.

And your point is caller? Would you turn down Wayne Rooney on that point? Leave the personal insults to the playground.

McFadden works. He works like ****. Remember some of his great goals for Scotland? Lets look at his latest one. Boyd would never be seen that far back on a football pitch to get the ball there, he doesn't have the skill to get past players the way McFadden did, he also doesn't have the tanasity to keep going when it looks like the ball might be lost. Boyd is a one trick pony. And in a higher level of Football to the SPL, you gotta' have more than one trick.

McFadden? A work horse? I actually support Everton and most Toffee fans were delighted to get rid of him as he added so little due to his poor work-rate.

Boyd and McFadden are completely different types of players. Peter Beardsley was a far more skillful player than Gary Lineker that would drop deep and pick up. Beardsley was far more hard-working too, whilst Lineker could barely pass the ball, couldn't tackle and rarely took players on. But he did something else. He scored regularly. Looks easy but it's the toughest job on the pitch.

Besides which, McFadden hasn't played striker regularly at club level in years.

There is no-one that comes anywhere remotely near Boyd's goal-scoring record. To not put him in in favour of strikers that do their best work outside the box but rarely score is crazy.

McFadden works twice as much as Boyd. Anyone who disagrees obviously doesn't watch either player on a football pitch. I am not a big fan of McFadden, but he is far more a player than Boyd.

:lol: You are silly. Berbatov outside the box more than he is in it. Watch some match of the day, or even some United games. He usually gets the ball outside the box and either loses it or creates a great scoring chance. All those other players you mentioned did far more than Boyd did. Boyd is useless without a Kenny Miller type player. Yet those you mentioned could play beside anybody. Thats the diffrence between SPL class, and EPL class. No wonder the SPL is going so far downhill when theres people like you who think Kris Boyd is great, then wonder why the game is going downhill!

Anyone who is genuinely committed to representing their country rather than a self serving egotist with much less ability than he apparently thinks he has who believes that he has the right to pick and choose what games he is prepared to play and which manager he is willing to serve under !

Faddy springs to mind. So many times he tries to do the hero thing again. Beat an extra man, take on the extra shot. Ultimately surrender possession. Sometimes he over does it. It is blatantly obvious he actually sees himself as Scotlands talisman. He has his limitations, like ALL Scotland players have.

In addition to Ronnie for me it would be "better" to play Kevin Kyle, Garry O'Connor, Leigh Griffiths, Chris Sitter, James McFadden, Lee Miller, Derek Riordan or a six man midfield than Boyd. Add to the list anyone else who has not ridiculed my nation and I will be quite happy.

For the record, Boyd has an unquestionable history as a goalscorer against teams of a certain level. This changes as the opposition gets tougher. It could be argued quite legitimately that any of the above could have the same impact given the opportunity afforded Boyd.

Riordan is every bit the same as Boyd in that he has probably has less of a work ethic, a slighter frame. Put him in a Scotland shirt and we are down to 10 men. Also doesn't do it v the big teams.

Kevin Kyle - Has a physical presence, little else other than an uncharacteristic purple patch at end of last season beginning of this.

Garry O'Conner - any more professional than Boyd? Scores goals? gets a game?! No.

Leigh Griffiths - Give the guy time. He scores on a regular basis in the 1st division only. Think you'll find thats even lower than Boyds current level.

Sitter- ?

Faddy - yeah ok, but more a scorer of great goals than a great goal scorer.

Lee Miller - doesn't even deserve the credit of an answer. No.

To a degree in recent years I'd agree that there are not many poachers (other than maybe Van Nistelrooy, who never scored a goal outside the 18yd box for Man Utd) who succeed.

But I'll harp on about David Healy - A poacher who can't score in the premiership, no wait can't get a game in the premiership but is feared at International level.

This is because Northern Ireland are geared towards working hard to create chances for him. And it is evident for all to see that it works.

Fair enough Boyd only scores hatfuls in Scotland, but it is something. Miller is inconsistent in Scotland but is a 1st team pick. Fletcher plays well in England for a lesser team and gets the odd goal. Faddy is a creative player for Birmingham, not a forward. They are ALL limited players. They ALL have weaknesses but they also ALL have attributes.

I think everyone accepts that Boyd aint a world beater, but neither are Scotland and we need anyone who is willing to play for the team. As far as Im concerned the past is irrelevant. If Levien picks them. I'll support them.

it would be "better" to play Kevin Kyle, Garry O'Connor, Leigh Griffiths, Chris Sitter, James McFadden, Lee Miller, Derek Riordan or a six man midfield than Boyd.

Your new to football aren't you?

Not particularly.

The point of my post, clearly lost for which I apologise (clarity can be a weakness on my behalf) was to possibly identify those who play in a similar position, who have yet to stick one or two petulant fingers up at our country and its supporters. It would, in my opinion, be "better" to provide opportunity for these guys rather that doff the cap and grovel to a pompus ass who has treated us with such contempt. This was cemented by my obviously unreallistic comment (I have no genetic link to Bertie Vogts) to suggest playing a six man midfield.

Will be clearer next time. Sorry.

Edited by Sorted

Good sensible post Sorted :rolleyes:

Good sensible post Sorted :)

Agreed!

it would be "better" to play Kevin Kyle, Garry O'Connor, Leigh Griffiths, Chris Sitter, James McFadden, Lee Miller, Derek Riordan or a six man midfield than Boyd.

Not particularly.

The point of my post, clearly lost for which I apologise (clarity can be a weakness on my behalf) was to possibly identify those who play in a similar position, who have yet to stick one or two petulant fingers up at our country and its supporters. It would, in my opinion, be "better" to provide opportunity for these guys rather that doff the cap and grovel to a pompus ass who has treated us with such contempt. This was cemented by my obviously unreallistic comment (I have no genetic link to Bertie Vogts) to suggest playing a six man midfield.

Mmmm seem to remember James Mcfadden missing his flight home for going out on the oiss and sleeping in.

Or Garry O Conner going awol then blaming it on personal problems (when he was spotted out in the Burgh) and then not even bothering to apologise for it. Such short memories.

And as for the above Kenny Miller performing in a Scotland top. He had one good spell donks ago and thats it. I've lost hope when he's trough on goal because it would be a suprise for him not to fluff it. It would be a suprise for Boyd to balls it up like his team mate does all the time at vital moments.

Not particularly.

Mmmm seem to remember James Mcfadden missing his flight home for going out on the oiss and sleeping in.

Or Garry O Conner going awol then blaming it on personal problems (when he was spotted out in the Burgh) and then not even bothering to apologise for it. Such short memories.

And as for the above Kenny Miller performing in a Scotland top. He had one good spell donks ago and thats it. I've lost hope when he's trough on goal because it would be a suprise for him not to fluff it. It would be a suprise for Boyd to balls it up like his team mate does all the time at vital moments.

Kenny Miller gets into those positions as he works for it. Boyd wouldn't get into them.

I'd be quite happy to see a Scotland strike force of Miller and Boyd up front, supported by Macfadden, either from wide right or left, or even behind the front two....

On their day, all three of these guys could give a lot of defences a very hard time.

Kenny Miller gets into those positions as he works for it. Boyd wouldn't get into them.

Unbelievable! They both play for the same team. One scoring way more than the other one. Top scorer for every team he's played in, despite being dropped numerous times for the 'goal machines' of Cousin, Darcheville, Lafferty and Miller. Kenny Miller works a hell of a lot more than Gary Lineker too but I know who I'd want in my side.

It's fair enough to want Boyd dropped for what he did with Burley but to say Miller will score more than Boyd flies in the face of reason.

Unbelievable! They both play for the same team. One scoring way more than the other one. Top scorer for every team he's played in, despite being dropped numerous times for the 'goal machines' of Cousin, Darcheville, Lafferty and Miller. Kenny Miller works a hell of a lot more than Gary Lineker too but I know who I'd want in my side.

It's fair enough to want Boyd dropped for what he did with Burley but to say Miller will score more than Boyd flies in the face of reason.

The underlined bit in bold is the crux of the matter . Scoring goals against bottom 6 SPL teams does not make you an International striker .

Whats the point of getting into the positions if ultimately he doesn't stick them away. We could have been 2 or 3 up against the Dutch had kenny Miller any composure. But thats not what his game is all about. His donkey work and defensive harrying creates alot of space for a striker like Boyd. And he also has the odd scoring run, which is often helped by his slower, larger strike partners knock-ons*

The fact is Boyd does get into the goal scoring positions otherwise he wouldnt score so many. The difference Miller hopes to score, Boyd expects to score.

Personally I'd love for us to be able to call up 5 strikers in Boyd, Miller, Faddy, S.Fletcher and McCormack. Alot of International teams would love to have 5 options like that.

Also I wouldn't mind if Burke, who has been a steal for Cardiff, would be able to sort out his personal problems at home. But I have alot of respect for someone who would spurn International duty to spend time with his young child (who still lives in Glasgow) For someone who probably loves what he does for a living its a big sacrafice.

The underlined bit in bold is the crux of the matter . Scoring goals against bottom 6 SPL teams does not make you an International striker .

For England no, or for any big teams. For Scotland Yes. Given the bottom 6 change about and he scored 5 into a top 6 team a week and a half ago in a ten man team kind of disproves that consensus anyway.