One for the Tech Heads

SMEE

Is there any free programs out there that would allow me to remotley take control of another pc? My dad is old and trying to get into using a computer...but he has issues now and then...and i thought it would be good if such a facility allowed me to go online, diagnose and fix any issues he had remotley, rather than have to keep heading over to the house.

So.....anyone....anyone.....bueller....anyone?

Never used it but Windows XP & Vista have "Remote Assistance" which should do what your after.

I'm fairly certain part of Sc0tty's job is remotely accessing other machines and things so he may be able to offer up a more comprehensive/suitable answer.

Remote Desktop that is built into Windows is my preferred choice at work and I have little or no trouble connecting to PCs in every corner of the globe. Failing that you could look at VNC http://www.realvnc.com/

Depending on your father's setup you may have to adjust firewall settings or open ports on a router so you can access his machine but once you have it working it will be a scoosh !

I use TeamViewer which is completely free for Private home use.

Just download the console, here and install that on your own PC that you will use to remotely control the target/client PC.

Give this file here to whoever it is that is in need of remote assistance. They run the program (It doesn't need installed - it runs as a free standing program) and they give you the ID number and password. You plug those into your console and you'll have a remote view of the client PC.