Plea to the board!

Pele_Is_God

Well said, Captain. I am one who has been very critical of Butcher but I've never called for him to go. New managers need time to shape the team their way and to prove themselves and he now seems to be producing increasingly solid performances from the team. I'm still concerned over his judgement on certain players and the players who are now doing well were not his first choice at the beginning of the season.

Remember that someone called Barrowman, I think his name was, was preferred to Rooney at the start of the season, Stratford was preferred to Proctor and just about everybody else, and he thought Lionel was a better left back than Richard Hastings (and probably still does). He seems to have arrived at a good team by trial and error rather than by good judgement but nevertheless, the performances and the results are coming despite the lack of resource .

To lose him now would not be clever. My guess is that he will not be wanting to stay but the Board should try to retain the services of Terry and June now. The side is far better than at the start of the season so even if we don't bounce straight back (and we just might) we need consistency in the management team to secure as many of the players for next season when we should then be well placed to return to the SPL. Sentimentality about former managers cuts no ice with me - if they were good enough to get us back into the SPL they'd be doing the business for someone else at the moment.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said, Captain. I am one who has been very critical of Butcher but I've never called for him to go. New managers need time to shape the team their way and to prove themselves and he now seems to be producing increasingly solid performances from the team. I'm still concerned over his judgement on certain players and the players who are now doing well were not his first choice at the beginning of the season.

Remember that someone called Barrowman, I think his name was, was preferred to Rooney at the start of the season, Stratford was preferred to Proctor and just about everybody else, and he thought Lionel was a better left back than Richard Hastings (and probably still does). He seems to have arrived at a good team by trial and error rather than by good judgement but nevertheless, the performances and the results are coming despite the lack of resource .

To lose him now would not be clever. My guess is that he will not be wanting to stay but the Board should try to retain the services of Terry and June now. The side is far better than at the start of the season so even if we don't bounce straight back (and we just might) we need consistency in the management team to secure as many of the players for next season when we should then be well placed to return to the SPL. Sentimentality about former managers cuts no ice with me - if they were good enough to get us back into the SPL they'd be doing the business for someone else at the moment.

Negative, negative, negative...

Personally I'd love to see Terry and Maurice stay with us for a couple of seasons.

Guest Mahonio

Maybe i underestimated the genius that is Terry Butcher when i was consistintely calling for his head at the start of the season but now i do believe in him and yes we should get him signed up on longer contract as he WILL get us to SPL and maybe keep us there if he deals well in the transfer market.

I would be the first to acknowledge that TB has brought in a bunch of decent players, but if this season goes right down to the wire, with promotion resting on the final game of the season at home to Dundee, would you trust him to pick the right team/tactics for the day?

Yes is the short answer to your question because i don't think he'll get it wrong twice in a last day decider.

im with the majority on this thread...keeping TB & MO is the right way. We are only what? 7 points behind Dundee with a game in hand. Yes QOS have 3 games in hand and County have 2, but we are up their because of some good results of late. Remember only a short time ago we were 6th with a 14 point gap between us and the top.

I said it on a previous thread that Dundee, QOS & County wont stay the distance and i stick with that.

Resign them along with the players on short deals.

Cue moaners & Naysayers.....

Edited by BornCaley

Something like 3 players under contract for next season and no management team is what we have. It is time to sign up Butcher, Malpas, and co, and make sure if we dont go up this season, we are ready for next with the same squad, but a few more of Terry's favourites. Otherwise, it will be groundhog day.

who are the 3 players.does anybody know

Something like 3 players under contract for next season and no management team is what we have. It is time to sign up Butcher, Malpas, and co, and make sure if we dont go up this season, we are ready for next with the same squad, but a few more of Terry's favourites. Otherwise, it will be groundhog day.

who are the 3 players.does anybody know

I think they are Grant, Russel and Adam R

Simply put, if we are promoted T and J will be given a deall allowing them to stay, if not they will be off, and rightly so. We will get a novice manager and the team will be restructured for a two or three year promotion drive.

The team will be restructured to correspond better with our reduced income.

I agree with the OP as well....we need to get some stability back into things or we will just continue to lurch from one Manager to another with teams being hauled apart and put back together every season and fans having to wait till "things start coming together".

Butcher and Malpas are doing as much as can be expected with what they have to work with and we seem to have found a bit of consistency....why wouldn't people want that to continue in to next season?

Spot on.

Simply put, if we are promoted T and J will be given a deall allowing them to stay, if not they will be off, and rightly so. We will get a novice manager and the team will be restructured for a two or three year promotion drive.

I think this might well happen, but when you say "rightly so", do you mean it's right for the club that T & J should go if they don't win promotion at the first attempt, or right for them that they should move on to something potentially more lucrative for them? Despite the ambitions stated at the start of the season, I don't think a decent, but ultimately unsuccessful, title challenge should be viewed as a failure - we all know how difficult the first division is to get out of. I'd see it a decent foundation that the current management should be allowed to continue to build on, if they can retain the bulk of the squad; I'm more concerned that they won't want to stay because of the likelihood that they will have to lose some of their best players and won't have the finances to replace them.

Personally I would love to see Butcher stay as well - not so sure about Misspass but if ya want Tel MM is part of the package.

And I suspect that they will be - put it like this - if you were the leading light in charge of a club and under signifcant pressure from the fans - and you had a few pennies - maybe not to spare but to protect your "investment" and hold off any predators in the wings - what kind of thing could you do in order to appease or at least hold at bay the "baying" fan base.

The only slight problem is the Marius Niculae monies - our lot appear to be wholly overconfident that they are going to get out of this relatively unscathed - many of us know that a certain sum is under the mattress - but I have been informed this morning that the SPL / SFA - would ya believe it - are apparently bankrolling some of the main monies as they - would ya believe it - feel a degree "guilty" as ICT apparently pass this through the SPL / SFA legal system. So the sum under the mattress - hidden away in the accounts of time - may actually suffice.

If it does then announcement of extra monies to save the club will be forthcoming - with the managers and players contracts at the front.

Perhaps the muppets aint been so stoopid after all - careless and shamateurish - and are to blame for the debacles of the last 2-3 seasons - but perhaps they are learning - FROM US. :ohmy:

Negative, negative, negative...

Personally I'd love to see Terry and Maurice stay with us for a couple of seasons.

I wouldnt say it's negative, he wants T and J to stay. I think its fair to aknowledge Terry hasn't got it spot on every time. But the fact is he's not continuing to make the same errors. He changes the team when it need changed and is not afraid to be bold.

I want Terry to stay put. And Mo. Even if we dont go up this season. We've had a huge player turnaround. So getting promoted whilst gelling a new squad was never going to be easy anyway.

However if the players dont get signed up also, we'll be back to square 1 again, if not further back. We need to keep the nucleus though.

I'd give Terry and Maurice another year now. With no promotion necessary this season. And have the incentive of a further year if promotion is gained. Get the key out of contract players signed up with (affordable) promotion incentives in their contracts.

Im sick of having a new gaffer every 18 months and want a bit of stability and continuity. I for one like Terry Butcher. He's good with the press and likes Inverness. Some don't like his ex Rangers connections (still) I for 1 don't care about his playing past. He's Inverness manager now and he's doing a good job. So I think we should stick with whats working. For another season at least.

I mean, we still have a chance of promotion this year. We can still do it. If I remember correctly we were about 10 points behind Clyde in January and still behind till the 2nd last game! Then we had 5 glorious years in the SPL. Lets keep up this years push. But be prepared for next season too. With the same bunch of lads and I reckon we'll do it.

it is important they stay. for me a realistic aim was to in the mix and building for a real push next season. so far this looks achievable but only if the majority of the assets are here next season and that includes the management team. is it not pretty straightforward to offer a contract with a percentage increase if we manage to win promotion?

There's certainly merit in continuity and the Butcher/ Malpas combination seems to be enjoying some success at last.

However if, as looks likely, we are still in the First Division next season we will be unable to retain them unless they are willing to accept a substantial cut in salary.

There's certainly merit in continuity and the Butcher/ Malpas combination seems to be enjoying some success at last.

However if, as looks likely, we are still in the First Division next season we will be unable to retain them unless they are willing to accept a substantial cut in salary.

Not sure how you can say it looks likely O learned one. We're starting to get things together. Dundee are floundering. Its anyones league at the minute.

However if, as looks likely, we are still in the First Division next season

How can you say that it 'looks likely' we will still be in the 1st Division next season?

The league is wide open, we are the form team in the division at the moment, and are now also sitting with the best goal difference.

Its gonna go right to the wire...

Not sure how you can say it looks likely O learned one. We're starting to get things together. Dundee are floundering. Its anyones league at the minute.

Oh learned one! Very good Alex!!

:) :015: :015:

Who's going to offer Butcher and Malpas all these lucrative jobs? His CV (though, I'd argue not always his fault) at first glance looks poor. Even at ICT it looks like he got a team relegated (but I don't blame him) and didn't bring them back up. I doubt he'd get an SPL job or major English job, so an SFL1 top club must sound a fairly good proposition.

I don't why, but I've felt his way for a little while now. Don't shout me down on this, but one day Butcher will be gone. Whether that's tomorrow, at the end of the season or beyond. Whatever happened on Saturday or at the end of the season may be irrelevant. I don't wish to feel this way, I want Butcher to succeed as manager of ICT as much as the next person, but I constantly get the feeling now, that when Butcher goes and in time he will, it'll all have ended in tears.

I don't why, but I've felt his way for a little while now. Don't shout me down on this, but one day Butcher will be gone. Whether that's tomorrow, at the end of the season or beyond. Whatever happened on Saturday or at the end of the season may be irrelevant. I don't wish to feel this way, I want Butcher to succeed as manager of ICT as much as the next person, but I constantly get the feeling now, that when Butcher goes and in time he will, it'll all have ended in tears.

Not many managers stay around for the long haul nowadays so its a good bet he will leave at some point. I think he's starting to see the results of his expectations now and I think he will take us into a real fight for promotion. He now has the nucleus of a very good team and a few on the fringes fighting for places. We are getting more consistant. We will, maybe, lose a game or two along the way but so will the others. I dont think either of the managers will take much persuading to stay. They love the area. Have moved home. Are enjoying the job and are seeing the fruition of their team. Terry made a commitment to get us back up in a season and I doubt he would be interested in contract talks until he has either succeeded or failed. I also believe the same of a number of the players. They want to get the job done then negotiate the future.

Not many managers stay around for the long haul nowadays so its a good bet he will leave at some point. I think he's starting to see the results of his expectations now and I think he will take us into a real fight for promotion. He now has the nucleus of a very good team and a few on the fringes fighting for places. We are getting more consistant. We will, maybe, lose a game or two along the way but so will the others. I dont think either of the managers will take much persuading to stay. They love the area. Have moved home. Are enjoying the job and are seeing the fruition of their team. Terry made a commitment to get us back up in a season and I doubt he would be interested in contract talks until he has either succeeded or failed. I also believe the same of a number of the players. They want to get the job done then negotiate the future.

Im sure if the club were to give him a deal irregardless of whether we go up this season of not and say "We either want you to be our manager in the SPL next season or the man to take us up next season, but either way we want you as our manager" he'd be tempted to sign. Both would. If the club show how much they are wanted. They will feel loyal and want to see the club succeed.