Xbox 360..

ICTFCkev

I have recently got a new TV and when I connected the Xbox up to it everything worked perfectly.. Apart from the Xbox now has no sound.

Anyone have any ideas on how to sort this? Ta.

How do you connect the Xbox to your TV?

I have recently got a new TV and when I connected the Xbox up to it everything worked perfectly.. Apart from the Xbox now has no sound.

Anyone have any ideas on how to sort this? Ta.

How do you connect the Xbox to your TV?

Had been doing it with the Red White and Yellow cables from the Xbox before, and therefore tried this again. Went and dug out the actual box for the console and had a scart socket still in there to put the wires into.

So I did this and lo and and behold.. It works fine now.

Ta for the reply anyway, but problem solved. Now just to get an HD cable for it.... I'll be back at the weekend for more help no doubt :blink:

Edited by ICTFCkev

Kev, the HDMI cable doesnt make that much odds to be honest, the non HD cable had much better sound from it too, honestly dude dont go spending to much money on one, I got the Elite the other week with the 120 gig hdd, as my old old 10/20gig one was on its last legs, bought an HDMI cable for 40 quid and didnt really see any difference, I spoke to my Geek on the subject and he said the componint Cable for the xbox is what it was designed to use as an interface and the HDMI was added to make it look good and modern... hipe i think its called. anyway, let me know what you think..

Kev, the HDMI cable doesnt make that much odds to be honest, the non HD cable had much better sound from it too, honestly dude dont go spending to much money on one, I got the Elite the other week with the 120 gig hdd, as my old old 10/20gig one was on its last legs, bought an HDMI cable for 40 quid and didnt really see any difference, I spoke to my Geek on the subject and he said the componint Cable for the xbox is what it was designed to use as an interface and the HDMI was added to make it look good and modern... hipe i think its called. anyway, let me know what you think..

Really? :huh: . I got an HDMI cable for my ps3 and tbh never really noticed a difference till I unplugged it and saw how bad it looked without it, only a tenner n all

Edited by RowdyBey

only a tenner n all

I'd cry into my cornflakes if I thought someone had fleeced me ?10 for a cable. The prices some places charge is nothing short of robbery.

only a tenner n all

I'd cry into my cornflakes if I thought someone had fleeced me ?10 for a cable. The prices some places charge is nothing short of robbery.

Didnt mean i was chuffed with a tenner, just that it was cheaper than Geo's :huh:

I come across this almost daily,with customers who have been sold/conned with "high grade" HDMI cables,load of cobblers! the ones that come with the product are equally as good,anything over a tenner is really takin the p**h

If it's 0 at one end it's a 0 at the other!

The only folk to benefit from high priced interface cables are

54iuio.jpg

Edited by Heilandee

I come across this almost daily,with customers who have been sold/conned with "high grade" HDMI cables,load of cobblers! the ones that come with the product are equally as good,anything over a tenner is really takin the p**h

The only folk to benefit from high priced interface cables are

54iuio.jpg

What I laugh at is the places selling "Gold plated" or "Oxygen Free" HDMI cables - as if it makes a difference to the signal.

Edited by Jay_7

There is some merit in the "high grade" cables but not just yet for most people ..... If you are not technically minded, skip to the less techie bit but otherwise, here is the explanation .....

Techie Bit

I am not sure about the UK as its a different TV system but over on this side of the pond, better cables will be required as the TVs (and consoles) themselves begin to have higher specs - such as increased colour depth or 120Hz refresh rates instead of 60Hz etc. All the higher specs mean that the bandwidth required between devices increases and just like the difference between dialup and cable/broadband or fibre, the better the cable (or connection) the higher the throughput.

According to Monster (who sell these high end cables), a PS2, XBox or standard DVD player (480p) or a standard HDTV (720p / 1080i) require between 1Gbps to 2.23Gbps which virtually any HDMI cable can support (bog standard certified cable is rated up to 2.23Gbps). A PS3, XBox360, BluRay or HD-DVD player require about 4.5Gbps which requires a certified 1.3 or 1.3a cable which can handle something in the region of 4.95Gbps for 1.3 or 6.68Gbps for 1.3a. All of these displays are 8bit colour depth and 60Hz refresh rate. When you move up to 12bit display and 60Hz you require 6.68Gbps so a 1.3a cable will still do fine.

Where the cables get really expensive is for the "ultra-high speed" or "ultimate high-speed" ... These cables are rated at 10.2Gbps and 14.93Gbps but will not be required until the (high end) TVs have a 120Hz refresh rate and 8 bit display (10.2Gbps) or 120Hz refresh rate and 12bit display (14.93Gbps).

Where it all gets a bit confusing is that there are other factors that can affect how good your cable is. Much like internet cables, shorter is better and in tests a lower rated cable that was up to 6 feet long consistently performed to the same level as the highest rated cable at 14.93Gbps. Once you go over that length, the performance of the cable is degraded and you need to move to a higher rated one to achieve the same results .....

Less Techie Bit

Buy a cheap but certified cable in as short a length as you can get away with (max 6 feet) and you will be absolutely fine for a few years yet as it will cope with the amount of data transfer required to get a good picture from the current hardware on the market.

A few other things mentioned were also .....

1. Make sure your cable is actually certified. A bog standard certified cable will have the HDMI logo meaning it has been tested and meets the specifications required, cheap knock-offs will not (or should not) have the logo

HDMI_logo_41.gif

2. Higher end cables tend to have higher end connectors. Musicians will know about patch cords that short out, HDMI cables with cheaper connectors can suffer the same fate.

3. If you are going to bury your cables in behind a wall or are going to be running it from downstairs to a TV upstairs get a high-end cable. Digital signals do degrade over distance as the audio and video signals can get out of sync and if you buy a higher end TV in the future you dont want to be hacking holes in your wall to replace low end cable with the better stuff.

4. If you have good components, they can often compensate for the lower end cables. PS3 was specifically mentioned as being able to do this.

more good info here: http://www.hdmi.org/index.aspx

not quite .... it's not about the digital info just getting there, like packet data. It's video, so it's about the digital info getting there at the right time and in the right order to make sense. It's also audio, and over distances, there's a greater chance that audio and video will get out of sync.

However, I do agree that most folk right now are being ripped off when buying or being told to buy high-end cables especially if they only need a short length and are connecting normal (rather than high-end) HDTVs to their other hardware.

• 3 weeks later...