QOS- GAME OFF

RiG

Very dissapointing but quite baffling too, I haven't seen any grass all morning anywhere around town that doen't look fine. I know it's bit colder at the stadium but surely it can't be that much different from elsewhere in town?

I'm sure by 3.00pm it would have been perfectly playable and no one would have blinked an eyelid.

well the sun has been beating down on my front garden for most of the morning and it looks fine, but when you walk over it ts still rock solid. so if the USH wasnt switched on then im sure the pitch would be in the same condition

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as the roads are in a safe condition. I would have been happy for the game to go ahead and be abandoned at 3 pm (if that had to be the case) rather than call off a game 4 hours before kick off to suit new rules on giving fans notice, if it took that long to do, it must have been debatable and I'm sure it would have been OK for 3 pm.

Ive just looked out the window and saw a pensioner taking his dog out for a walk in his t shirt, its that mild?

Looks like some Queens fans are getting the chance to go to see some of the Snowman rally.

Why would we not want this game on?

We are the form team in the league and I would have thought that the players would be desperate to just get on the pitch which would make me think that the club would do everything they could to get the game on.

It was freezing cold at about 2 last night so I wouldnt have been surprised if the USH was not having an affect

We are the form team in the league and I would have thought that the players would be desperate to just get on the pitch which would make me think that the club would do everything they could to get the game on.

It was freezing cold at about 2 last night so I wouldnt have been surprised if the USH was not having an affect

Because the club is trying to pick and choose when they want to play teams. The club tookages to agree when the county game was going to be played.

Because the club is trying to pick and choose when they want to play teams. The club tookages to agree when the county game was going to be played.

and im glad they chose the day after my 22nd b/day!

So why would we not want to play Queen of the South today then?

We have no reason to be scared of playing them. We probably have a better chance of beating them today than any other time because we are getting good results just now

Maybe the pitch is frozen and it was too cold for the USH to work. Not everything has to be a conspiracy

Allegedly undersoil heating on for 2 days rather than the required 4 as a cost cutting measure. :(

No Club ever has the undersoil heating on for 4 days that would be ridcoulous and would cost the club around 7/8k, Most clubs put the undersoil heating on 2 days before the game which Inverness did

also if anyone if to blame for the late kick off is the referee who was 2 hours late doing the inspection

ref didnt know about 9.30am pitch inspection only 11am one

The ref did know and contacted ICT to say that he was running late and due to other commitments ould not be able to arrive to around 11am

Surely it must've been touch and go if the pitch was playable or not, so what I don't understand is why not have the inspection at, say, 2pm? That'd given the ush a bit more time, which, when combined with the rising temperatures, would've in all likelihood meant the pitch was playable.

The Queens fans are up here anyway, or enroute, so it's not like many would've been put out at waiting a few extra hours for a decision.

Turn it round ..... If this was an away game, would you be happy if you were making your way down to Palmerston and found out as you passed Glasgow that the game was off, or would you be more relieved to find out as you passed Aviemore so your day wasnt totally f***** ! You have to consider everything, including the travelling support.

I am with Jaggie1994 on this one ... not everything has to be a conspiracy.

There is no reason to try and get out of today's game other than it quite simply succumbing to "natural causes", to suggest anything else is IMHO ludicrous.

Furthermore, we are not trying to pick and choose when we play other teams. As we didnt proactively go to the SFL with pre-agreed dates for our postponed games, I am not sure we had any say in the dates the SFL issued for the re-arranged fixtures .......

Due to the incredible amount of misinformation, confusion and, in places downright fantasy on this thread and having been across this situation since Thursday afternoon, I think I should place the following facts on record.

The Inspection

This was fixed late yesterday (Friday) morning for 0930 today, match day. There would appear to have been some kind of breakdown in communication within the SFA who appear to have arranged for a local referee to visit at 1100. Before anyone goes off on one about this, please remember that this delay might potentially have put the game on and appeared to be welcomed at the Caledonian Stadium this morning since conditions were steadily improving. The referee eventually arrived at 1115 and took a very long and detailed look at the pitch - in fact it was the longest inspection I have ever witnessed. (So I really do not know where Miss ICT got her totally fictional hearsay from.) On the basis of there being significant areas still solid at that time, he called the game off at 1135. This was very quickly relayed to the various websites and broadcasters. This decision gave no scope for a later inspection by the match referee who was due in at around 1230 by which time improving conditions MAY have (EDIT - I am now informed "HAD") rendered the pitch playable. I got the strong impression that throughout ICT there was a strong desire for that later inspection or any other means of getting the game on but the decision lies with the referee who also has to take into account travelling fans. It would not be proper of me to repeat any opinions I may have heard about how keen or otherwise QoS were for the game to go ahead.

The Undersoil Heating

SFL clubs are not obliged to use their heating so its discretionary use hence involves a financial balancing of the costs (which are approximately ?70-?90 per hour depending on the oil price) against the revenues from a Saturday as opposed to a postponed midweek game - also taking into account what the weather may or may not do. This is hence a very complex call. The decision to switch on the undersoil heating was made late yesterday (Friday) morning and full power was used (so Tommy was really working extremely hard on that treadmill all night - seriously though, Tommy put a huge amount of effort into trying to get that game on). I was told that at 4:30 yesterday afternoon the pitch was very much looking as if it was heading towards playable. However last night was extraordinarily cold and the stadium's waterside location did not appear to benefit fom its usual couple of degrees of warming. When I arrived there at 0945 today the temperature was still minus 2 although by then increasing. As a result the heating did not after all appear to have been able to take the frost out of the ground within the required time, even for an inspection delayed until 1130. As I left there was a feeling that a 1230 or 1300 inspection might have yielded a different result and as I write this I have just received a text expressing the opinion that the pitch was playable at 1pm.

Apart from all that, it was quite an interesting morning. When I arrived I met Gordon Chisholm coming out of the front door and he asked me if I was the inspecting referee?.... which is quite flattering since referees retire at around the age of 48! :)

Then, whilst on the phone, I was "attacked" (well not quite!) by Terry Butcher's dog - which seems to be the only creature within his personal orbit over which he is totally incapable of exerting any influence at all! :( :( Terry thought it was quite funny!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

According to Billy Dodds (who is a QotS coach) on Radio Scotland about an hour ago:

- Malpas told him yesterday that there was no chance the game would be on.

- a local ref did a 9.30am pitch inspection but refused to make a decision, leaving it to the match ref later.

This totally contradicts what others are saying, but is perhaps explained by the fact that Dodds talks more ****e than pretty much anyone in Scottish football.

It was discussed on Stuart and Tam's show on Radio Scotland. Half the QOS support were already at Aviemore by the time news came through that the game was off.

Apparently a local ref did make an inspection at 9.00am, but was reluctant to make a decision, and said it would be up to the match ref. That was why there was a delay before the actual match ref arrived and took the decision to call it off.

It's all very unfortunate but there must surely be a better way of handling these things. It always seems like no one gives a damn about the fans.

Apparently a local ref did make an inspection at 9.00am, but was reluctant to make a decision, and said it would be up to the match ref.

As a said in my recent post... "misinformation, confusion and downright fantasy".

Re Yngwie's quote of Billy Dodds.... I obviously cannot testify as to what Maurice said but can state that there was a high degree of confidence within ICT yesterday that the game would go ahead. And there was ONE INSPECTION AT 1115!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Apparently a local ref did make an inspection at 9.00am, but was reluctant to make a decision, and said it would be up to the match ref.

As a said in my recent post... "misinformation, confusion and downright fantasy".

You should take that one up with your colleagues on Radio Scotland, from whom I was quoting, Charles...

Edited by Johnboy

You should take that one up with your colleagues on Radio Scotland, from whom I was quoting, Charles...

If I had been listening rather than doing my somewhat delayed shopping in Morrisons, I would have phoned in and put the record straight.

(I just hope to God Miss ICT wasn't listening to that programme! :( )

If I had been listening rather than doing my somewhat delayed shopping in Morrisons, I would have phoned in and put the record straight.

(I just hope to God Miss ICT wasn't listening to that programme! :( )

Chic Young actually lambasted the your fantasy local ref for bottling a decision at 9.00am, which he claimed would have been of considerable benefit to travelling QOS fans.

I didn't know the game was off until I went down to the ground about 40 minutes ago. Looking out the window - it looked fine, I even walked on some grass earlier - it was fine. So anyway, I went down to the ground, and the place was like the Marie Celeste! There was a few bewildered looking folk wandering about but the place was empty, with only a small apolegetic sign announcing the situation. Bit of a farce to be honest.

Edited by Renegade

I blame the board for this. They should have been out all night lighting big bonfires around the stadium to warm up the air. I mean they should have known about how frost works and how to prevent it from affecting our pitch. But then, as someone said, they conspired to make sure the game wouldn't be played because they'd prefer the lower midweek gate to a saturday one. And with the money they've lost they can bribe the SFL to re-arrange the games to suit nobody thus reducing the revenue even further.