QOS- GAME OFF

RiG

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I blame the board for this. They should have been out all night lighting big bonfires around the stadium to warm up the air. I mean they should have known about how frost works and how to prevent it from affecting our pitch. But then, as someone said, they conspired to make sure the game wouldn't be played because they'd prefer the lower midweek gate to a saturday one. And with the money they've lost they can bribe the SFL to re-arrange the games to suit nobody thus reducing the revenue even further.

POST OF THE THREAD!!!! :( :( :) :021: :021:

But come to think of it Alex... would you not have been safer also to have provided links to online dictionary definitions of "satire" and "irony"... just in case!!!!?

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Just back from gloriously sunny Inverness. Got my Tesco shopping done a bit earlier with match being called off. Pity they didn't leave the decision until later as I am sure the match would have gone ahead. Just have to content myself with Jeff and the boys.

The Inspection

This was fixed late yesterday (Friday) morning for 0930 today, match day. There would appear to have been some kind of breakdown in communication within the SFA who appear to have arranged for a local referee to visit at 1100. Before anyone goes off on one about this, please remember that this delay might potentially have put the game on and appeared to be welcomed at the Caledonian Stadium this morning since conditions were steadily improving. The referee eventually arrived at 1115 and took a very long and detailed look at the pitch - in fact it was the longest inspection I have ever witnessed.

Your colleagues at Radio Scotland, via Chic Young's phone in programme are still pedalling the line that the ICT pitch was inspected by a local ref at 9.00am this morning, who was reluctant to make a decision, and chose to leave it up to the match ref to inspect the pitch on his arrival.

Are you still prepared to contradict that assertion?

The Inspection

This was fixed late yesterday (Friday) morning for 0930 today, match day. There would appear to have been some kind of breakdown in communication within the SFA who appear to have arranged for a local referee to visit at 1100. Before anyone goes off on one about this, please remember that this delay might potentially have put the game on and appeared to be welcomed at the Caledonian Stadium this morning since conditions were steadily improving. The referee eventually arrived at 1115 and took a very long and detailed look at the pitch - in fact it was the longest inspection I have ever witnessed.

Your colleagues at Radio Scotland, via Chic Young's phone in programme are still pedalling the line that the ICT pitch was inspected by a local ref at 9.00am this morning, who was reluctant to make a decision, and chose to leave it up to the match ref to inspect the pitch on his arrival.

YOU SHOULD KNOW BY NOW mr bannerman never admits when hes wrong,he was spouting rubbish on p+b about strathspey getting cash from somewhere when it was rubbish,he never came back to backup his "lies" and wont do with this one either

YOU SHOULD KNOW BY NOW mr bannerman never admits when hes wrong,he was spouting rubbish on p+b about strathspey getting cash from somewhere when it was rubbish,he never came back to backup his "lies" and wont do with this one either

You're probably right, Strathyjags....

One other snippet of information that came out of Chic Young's phone in programme was that a lot of Rangers fans had travelled from places like Inverness, only to find out when they got to Perth, that their game with St Johnstone was off.

:ohmy: :021: :015: :015:

The Inspection

Huh?

The Inspection

Huh?

yes :D

Given that QotS players and staff were travelling up yesterday and the pitch was already failing a inspection should the game just not have been called off then instead of hoping it might go ahead? A bit like what Morton did for their game v County.

As it turns out I found out at half 11 when I was already at Elgin on the train. All right for you guys in Inverness to say shit happens but those who had to travel more significant distances to the game were shafted today. QotS fans were already well beyond Perth when this game was called off so someone is going to have to take some flak for this late call off.

You're probably right, Strathyjags....

One other snippet of information that came out of Chic Young's phone in programme was that a lot of Rangers fans had travelled from places like Inverness, only to find out when they got to Perth, that their game with St Johnstone was off.

:D :015: :015: :015:

HAHAHA. maybey that will teach them to support there LOCAL team

Given that QotS players and staff were travelling up yesterday and the pitch was already failing a inspection should the game just not have been called off then instead of hoping it might go ahead? A bit like what Morton did for their game v County.

As it turns out I found out at half 11 when I was already at Elgin on the train. All right for you guys in Inverness to say shit happens but those who had to travel more significant distances to the game were shafted today. QotS fans were already well beyond Perth when this game was called off so someone is going to have to take some flak for this late call off.

i was in inverness when i heard it was off i traveled all the way up from stirling ah well doesnt matter the tickets were booked but i would have saved me a pretty useless trip in the end if they had called it last night

So to sumarise the posts so far

a. The game should have been called off on Friday because the pitch would never be playable by 3pm on Saturday

and

b. The decision should have been left till 1.30pm on the Saturday when the pitch was playable

Edited by Tree

Certainly was an unfortunate chain of events yesterday. Seems there is still some doubt as to whether a local ref carried out a preliminarary inspection at 9.00am (as claimed by Radio Scotland)

Obviously the pitch wouldn't have been playable at that time given the heavy overnight frost, so some kind of prediction as to what conditions would be like at 3pm was required. Such a calculation would have had to take the local weather forecast, and the effects of the undersoil heating into account. I would imagine that Tommy and is staff would have been confident the pitch would have been playable by 3pm. Presumably the ref who made the inspection at 11.30am had doubts about that, and took the decision to call it off. By all accounts now, the pitch was absolutely fine by 3pm.

It would have surely been much more sensible to defer a decision up until 2.30 - 3.00pm. The QoS team were already in Inverness - as were several fans, who travelled up on Friday to stay overnight. Fans (of both sides) travelling up from the south were pretty close to Inverness by the time the news came through that the game was off.

My point is the game should either have been called off on Friday, or at 3pm on Saturday, in the unlikely event that the pitch was unplayable at that time. Calling the game off at around 12noon, did no one any favours at all.

Edited by Johnboy

As usual the people who keep the game going - the fans - have been treated very shabbily indeed.

Football just never seems to get it - they can't treat their customers in this fashion. It's just completely unaccaptable in the modern world.

:D

If the game was called off on friday there'd be folks moaning. If it was called off early saturday there'd be folks moaning. If they waited till half hour before k.o. there'd be folks moaning. But lets blame the board, the staff, the groundsman, the players. But for christ sake don't blame the weather.

If the game was called off on friday there'd be folks moaning. If it was called off early saturday there'd be folks moaning. If they waited till half hour before k.o. there'd be folks moaning. But lets blame the board, the staff, the groundsman, the players. But for christ sake don't blame the weather.

No there wouldn't. People would be upset that the game was called off on the Friday / early Saturday but it would a lot less of an inconvenience than the scenario people were faced with yesterday and nowhere near as frustrating as to be on your way to the game to find it was called off.

If the roles were reversed and we were going South to play Queens we would be fuming if the game was called off that late and rightly so. All of your proposed scenarios would leave people unhappy but only one would leave people the most upset.

Can you guess which one that is and what one happened yesterday?

The weather in Inverness was beautiful yesterday.... Perfect conditions for a game of football, and by 3pm the pitch (I'm led to believe) was perfectly playable.

See my post on the Where's the money gone thread to avoid me repeating myself, but I will add that the reporting of the situation by Radio Scotland was WRONG. I think you should tune into Radio Scotland tomorrow morning where I'm pretty sure Charlie Bannerman will clarify the situation in the local bulletin. He was at the stadium, so he does have a better idea of what happened than the guys sitting in a studio in Glasgow

See my post on the Where's the money gone thread to avoid me repeating myself, but I will add that the reporting of the situation by Radio Scotland was WRONG. I think you should tune into Radio Scotland tomorrow morning where I'm pretty sure Charlie Bannerman will clarify the situation in the local bulletin. He was at the stadium, so he does have a better idea of what happened than the guys sitting in a studio in Glasgow

The version of events which I posted on this thread around 2:30 yesterday afternoon presents the facts which I gleaned from a number of calls to the club on Thursday and Friday and from spending much of Saturday morning at the ground as the inspection took place. A summary of that will be broadcast on the BBC's local bulletins for the Highlands and Islands tomorrow morning.

I also note above with interest "strathyjags'" allegation about material he is under the delusion that I posted on something he refers to as "p and b". I understand this to be a football website but I am afraid that apart from that I have no knowledge of it at all. In any case, what would be the point of a humble peasant like myself commenting on the finances of Strathspey Thistle FC in contradiction of a figure so eminent that not only is he Club Treasurer but apparently also Club Lord High Everything Else, with a status so elevated that his name even takes precedence over that of the Club Chairman on the Club Website......... of which he is Grand Club Webmaster!? :D :015: :015:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Obviously a lot of money goes through Strathy. They have two treasurers. Marty and Mags Clark.

Johnboy, it was also a perfect day in Perth at 11.45 yesterday for a game of football. Unfortunately one small area of the pitch was still hard.

People will always be p'd off regardless of when a decision is made but we live in Scotland. We should expect these things to happen. The forecasters all predicted overnight temps of -3 for Inverness. They actually predicted -1 for Perth. I believe Perth dropped to around -7 and Inverness about the same. If the forecasters cant predict whats going to happen then what chance does anyone have of preparing. Had the club known the weather in advance then maybe they could have done more but as it is sh!t happens.

Had the club known the weather in advance then maybe they could have done more but as it is sh!t happens.

:D

Given there were weather concerns for the weekend as early as Wednesday / Thursday I think the club were well aware of what the weather forecast was likely to be.

I should also point out that this alleged referee bottling a decision was daft as well or whatever happened with the officials on Saturday morning did not help either.

Obviously a lot of money goes through Strathy. They have two treasurers. Marty and Mags Clark.

Johnboy, it was also a perfect day in Perth at 11.45 yesterday for a game of football. Unfortunately one small area of the pitch was still hard.

People will always be p'd off regardless of when a decision is made but we live in Scotland. We should expect these things to happen. The forecasters all predicted overnight temps of -3 for Inverness. They actually predicted -1 for Perth. I believe Perth dropped to around -7 and Inverness about the same. If the forecasters cant predict whats going to happen then what chance does anyone have of preparing. Had the club known the weather in advance then maybe they could have done more but as it is sh!t happens.

Not sure if I heard right but were they saying that the St Johnstone game off partly due to human error.