A.B.E.

Scotty

The 'we hate them, they hate us' banter has gone on between the Scots and English for as many years as we've played football. Where do you draw the line at being racist. Many will say we are all British so cant be racist towards each other. Is it racist if an English store refuses payment with a Scottish note?

In this particular case I see no racism. I see banter towards an international football team. I have many friends and colleagues who are of English origin and not one of them takes offence at my jibes, nor do I of their's. We all see it as good natured banter. Perhaps because we all believe we are of the same race. The human race.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice copy and paste from wikipedia :lol:

Thought it might prove a more factual source of info than your mother. :P

Edited by Scotty
removed the excessively long and off-topic quote. can we get back on topic now please ;)

Nice copy and paste from wikipedia :rolleyes:

Thought it might prove a more factual source of info than your mother. B)

:blink: Think you getting a bit mixed up now!

Sorry mate, I meant Sorted's mother not yours.

I hereby apologise to Joe DiMaggio's mother

The best Scottish teams seem to emerge when the English do well. There was tremendous pride in the Scottish team when they defeated England in 67 and became unofficial world champions. In order to act as an impetus in producing a great team again, the best thing for Scottish football would be for England to win the World Cup. Support England - just don't buy any English newspapers!

Nice copy and paste from wikipedia :lol:

Thought it might prove a more factual source of info than your mother. :lol:

:lol: Think you getting a bit mixed up now!

Sorry mate, I meant Sorted's mother not yours.

I hereby apologise to Joe DiMaggio's mother

My mother thinks your an English to$$er :lol:

I see it this way (having lived down south for 40 years). For 90 minutes I hate England and want them to get gubbed. The rest of the time they are decent people.

It's not racist, just part of a tribal sport

The 'we hate them, they hate us' banter has gone on between the Scots and English for as many years as we've played football. Where do you draw the line at being racist. Many will say we are all British so cant be racist towards each other. Is it racist if an English store refuses payment with a Scottish note?

In this particular case I see no racism. I see banter towards an international football team. I have many friends and colleagues who are of English origin and not one of them takes offence at my jibes, nor do I of their's. We all see it as good natured banter. Perhaps because we all believe we are of the same race. The human race.

I thought it was to do with the fact only bank of England notes made in the royal mint are technically legal tender. That arguements raged on before and Im not sure I've ever seen a proper answer for it.

Sometimes I think its more to do with the ignorance of the shopkeeper. Sometimes they genuinely are not sure if a Scottish note is valid currency (much like the Irish punt wasn't in Britain) I dont know how often it is because they are trying to belittle and actually be rasict.

I dont see how deliberately not supporting your main international sporting rivals can be constituted as rascism. Or how mockingly supporting their opposition is anything other than banter. I dont think anyone genuinely puts in a great deal of effort into supporting Englands opposition. I've never seen anyone devasted by England beating someone else.

Do I want England to win the World cup? No more than I want Ross County to win the league. (I dont)

So if another team prevents them doing this I wouldn't be ecstatic, just glad I wouldn't here about it for the next 50 years.

And If we, in not supporting Englan, partake in a little light hearted banter, then I really cant see a problem.

Is it racist if an English store refuses payment with a Scottish note?

I thought it was to do with the fact only bank of England notes made in the royal mint are technically legal tender. That arguements raged on before and Im not sure I've ever seen a proper answer for it.

Sometimes I think its more to do with the ignorance of the shopkeeper. Sometimes they genuinely are not sure if a Scottish note is valid currency (much like the Irish punt wasn't in Britain) I dont know how often it is because they are trying to belittle and actually be rasict.

OK. Here we go.

Scottish bank notes are only 'legal tender' in Scotland. N. Ireland bank notes are only 'legal tender' in N. Ireland, and English are only 'legal tender' in England and Wales. Taken from the Royal Mint website;

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?

In short ?No? these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.

The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ?legal tender? has very little practical application.

So essentially, shops are well within their right to refuse to accept Scottish and Irish banknotes in England.

English :004:

Ach its all banter. Hardly Racist because you dont like the team!

How can the Mods allow some like this to be said on these forums. Whether you agree with it or not in the eyes of Johnny Lawman, its racist.

As for the ABE thing, its merely "chip on the shoulder" Scots showing how narrow minded they are...Is this the 21st century or what?

Edited by Alex MacLeod

How can the Mods allow some like this to be said on these forums. Whether you agree with it or not in the eyes of Johnny Lawman, its racist.

As for the ABE thing, its merely "chip on the shoulder" Scots showing how narrow minded they are...Is this the 21st century or what?

This is exactly what I said, wanting England to lose is not racist, "**** the English wankers" is especially when it comes from someone with DornochCaley's well publicised views.

I do not begrudge any Scotsman the pure exuberance of seeing England lose, it's nature for them to desire it but it's all about the way you express it that changes it from banter to racism.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

You're talking out your arse.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

English :rolleyes:

That's what I like to see, a well thought out, informative, unbaised post from one of the more educated, broadminded posters.

Reason for edit, I removed an unfair comment as DAM is normally quite fair in his postings. It's just this one he's talking out his a*se.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

I have removed DornochCaley's offensive remark.

To all the England fans who are posting please bear in mind that all this banter happened in reverse in the days when Scotland qualified and England didn't.

1. Thank you for removing it.

2. I'm not old enough to remember that. :rolleyes:

English :rolleyes:

That's what I like to see, a well thought out, informative, unbaised post from one of the more educated, broadminded posters.

Reason for edit, I removed an unfair comment as DAM is normally quite fair in his postings. It's just this one he's talking out his a*se.

Oz, thanks for that. My comment was more in frustration rather than anything else. A lot of people nowadays don't really know what rascism really is especially in this neck of the woods. I went to Birmingham as a 16 year old many, many years ago and us Scots were looked down on as second class citizens and that was made pretty obvious even by my workmates. I shrugged the comments off or gave back what I received. I'm afraid the Brummies didn't like that but it was ok for them to slag everyone else off. The Southern Irish got more than their fair share of it. On saturday nights the "entertainment" for some was to go "Paki-bashing" and coming from Scotland I couldn't understand why it should be like that. Another example of English bias was in plays and films 99% of the time the "drunk" was portrayed as a Scotsman and never English. I am being honest with my comments, I am still in touch with some of my English friends after all these years. One of them moved to Aberdeen years ago, married a local lass and he even admitted that moving up here opened his eyes for him in regards to the crap he listened to down south. This is a two way thing the English are no innocents.

Like yourself, I also served in the Armed Forces and there certainly was a degree of "rascism" there and we had to develop a thick skin as you will know. I have no doubt that you are a decent bloke so don't let it get to you. If I met you on Academy Street tomorrow you could call me a Scottish ****** and I would not be offended, I would laugh it off and buy you a pint!

Dam,

Thank you for your honest reply and please rest assured I would not call you anything as I am as far from being a racist as could possibly be. As a youngster I spent 4 years in South Africa and saw racism at it's worst. I won't go into detail but I hope I never see these things again. During my long time in the forces I did see some racial incidents but have to admit that most of the time it was given and taken as banter. I think when you have so many different races and geographical areas represented together there are bound to be flash points but it also helps you to be more tolerant and understanding of other cultures. I think too many people throw out remarks without thinking first. They think they are big and clever but in fact they are small minded and insignificant. They don't seem to realise the hurt they cause, or just don't care.

To your point on the English attitude you encountered, I'm sure there are just as many English who dislike the Scottish as visa versa but niether of them are worth worrying about. Just rise above it and prove that you are worth more than the small minded idiots.

Oh and by the way, next time I'm down Academy street and see some drunk scottish bloke staggering around, I'll collect that pint.

drunk3.gif

• 1 month later...

I used to be a member of the SNP and wore Scotland t-shirts sent to me in Japan for my birthday, and spent hours lecturing Japanese on how it was wrong to have one word for England and the UK, "igirisu" and how when i said "im from Scotland" and they'd reply "England?" and i'd get annoyed.

But then I read Noam Chomsky and Manufacturing Consent, and chilled out a bit. I studied History, and that got me riled up a bit, but then you realise that lines on maps and wars in olden times aren't that important.

The only thing that I don't like is the huge overreaction and hysteria and frenzy of English media over sport...it is provoking non-English into a reaction. The BBC is supposed to be neutral, yet employs idiots, and i mean idiot, like Ian Wright to cater to the people who buy the Sun and go around drunkenly declaring their passion for their country, singing England til I die, but couldnt tell you one meaningful fact about their country. It is the whipping up of these people by the media in order to increase consumption of their product that has created an anti-English reaction.

I'm not saying Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Brazilian, etc, are better or worse, but I am saying that most of Europe does not enjoy the goading and gloating before, during, and after. I was at the last World Cup, and was horrified by what I saw. Horrified.

English :D

Is it not double standards posting this here then on the Scottish Cup thread saying you want County to lose, Highlanders or not? :blink: Or is it merely a chip on your shoulder showing how narrow minded you are? I would love to know the difference.

Also 'how can the mods allow this to be said', sorry but get a grip, wanting England to lose is NOT racist, I'm not even sure what different race they are meant to be. If it is then wanting County to lose must also be equally racist. It is rivarly, what football is all about, England fans even have a smiliar t-shirt, see the link posted above, so are they now racist against Scots :rolleyes: It is all football banter.

For the record I want both County and England to lose but would take County winning the cup anyday over England winning the world cup. I hope they fail miserably!!