Old Hotels of Sneck

Glen Mhor

Scotty , I notice you  mention the Muirtown Motel.

I also remember it and when it was built. At that time  it seemed very different and interesting to me as a very young lad.
Has it been a busy and successful hostel/hotel  venture or just a showcase entry for consecutive bands.?

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

cummings.jpg

New it well back around 1959/60 when I worked there as a general 'dogsbody' during college holidays.  Was it Don MacKenzie who ran it in those days?  Also visited it many times in later years when visiting Inverness to see my old Mum.  She loved being taken to the Scottish show it hosted throughout the summers.  Saw some good 'turns' there, Andy Stewart, Colin Stuart, Calum Kennedy to name just 3, but my personal favourites were the Marlettes (Bob & Maggie).

9 hours ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

New it well back around 1959/60 when I worked there as a general 'dogsbody' during college holidays.  Was it Don MacKenzie who ran it in those days?  Also visited it many times in later years when visiting Inverness to see my old Mum.  She loved being taken to the Scottish show it hosted throughout the summers.  Saw some good 'turns' there, Andy Stewart, Colin Stuart, Calum Kennedy to name just 3, but my personal favourites were the Marlettes (Bob & Maggie).

Don Mackenzie was still the manager until the early 80's and the Marlettes were still doing the Scottish Showtime at that time as well!

The Marlettes.jpg

• Like 1

This image was recently highlighted in Am Baile's 'Picture Detective' feature, run in conjunction with the Inverness Courier. The photograph shows the crowning of Angela McAskill as the North Kessock Gala Queen, 1983.

The couple wearing kilts are Highland singing duo Maggie and Bob Donaldson, better known as The Marlettes. They are part of "Scottish Showtime", one of the longest running variety shows in Scotland.

The remaining two people are Chris MacDonald (Angela's future husband) and Mhairi Geddes, Chris's sister.

marlettes.png

• Like 1

I remember the Islands hotel too.  My old Dad was head gardener there  before I can even remember.  We stayed in the cottage next door, called 'Willowbank'.   Hotel at that time was owned/run by the Cummings family.  We moved from there further along the road (towards Holm Mills) to the Carol Nursing home  where he took up a similar position. There we lived in a converted stable block behind the nursing home, backing onto Drummond Crescent.