Tactics for Dundee Utd.

davieB

-------------------Broonie------------------

Tokely-----Dods------Munro----Hastings

Wilson----Black-------Rankin---Morgan

---------------Dargo---Bayne--------------

Have to agree with davieB "this is the match I want to win most in our whole season" I'd love us to get 3 points but expect a very difficult game and Rossco is gonna have his hands full with Robson but maybe if we win this one all the haters will get of Christie's back  :006:

Agree that McBain needs to be in there. I thought he was our MOM against Hearts, and he's been good all season.

I wonder about the likes of Hart who surely has a point to prove against Brew. In the game at Utd last year he was outstanding, I'm sure he raised his game because of who it was. That said, there's really no-one who can be dropped at the moment.

wow... I go away for a couple of hours and come back to this  :015:

I was booted out at half time during the hearts match so didn't see much of McBain and missed Motherwell but from the matches I've seen previously this season, I don't think McBain offers much going forward.  He gives his all in a game but Hastings is more likely to get a cross in2 the box than McBain and if we are going to start winning our home matches we need to start bringing the game to our opponents rather than sitting back and trying to catch teams on the counter.  If McBain did play I'd prefer to see him in the middle of the park don't really think he has done anything to deserve being dropped and doubt he will but for me Morgan is the more attacking option.

RIG have you read any of the other threads that have been posted on over the last few days? It seems Bonzo, Sandy and a few others think we should get rid of CC and get Levein in...personally I'm sick of disagreeing

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Steady on Harry boy, lets look at what I said, I did say that I wish Charlie all the best and I sincerely wish him Well, BUT I have now openly questioned his appointment, he is a good lad and a great ambassador for the club but I personally would have welcomed a more experienced manager, we have done the new kid on the block to death with Brewster and Robertson and have gained from them but if this is the club policy of maintaining our  survival position in the SPL year after year then I have to question the management planning.

We have known success from our first foray in Scottish Football and I see no reason why we should not continue this momentum, I would say that as of now the team we have HAS the potential to compete in Europe, I am adamant that this is the case and to do so it would have been beneficial to have appointed a manager with that sort of experience, otherwise the board have been short sighted.

Steady on Harry boy, lets look at what I said, I did say that I wish Charlie all the best and I sincerely wish him Well, BUT I have now openly questioned his appointment, he is a good lad and a great ambassador for the club but I personally would have welcomed a more experienced manager, we have done the new kid on the block to death with Brewster and Robertson and have gained from them but if this is the club policy of maintaining our  survival position in the SPL year after year then I have to question the management planning.

We have known success from our first foray in Scottish Football and I see no reason why we should not continue this momentum, I would say that as of now the team we have HAS the potential to compete in Europe, I am adamant that this is the case and to do so it would have been beneficial to have appointed a manager with that sort of experience, otherwise the board have been short sighted.

How can a manager become experienced without being given an oppertunity to prove himself?  Brewster & Robertson were both new appointments to a managerial role and they both took the club to new levels.  I see no reason why CC can't do the same and I see no reason why anyone should be doubting him!! Personally I think you've got carried away suggesting we have a team capable of competing in Europe (at least not yet) we should be aiming to keep the team in the division and push for that elusive top six position, and that's not me being short sited.  We have taken points from 3 teams that were above us last season which in a way is progress but obviously slipping up against St Mirren wasn't planned but there is no reason should be doubting the team/manager yet.  We have no idea how we are doing until we have played all of the 11 teams in the league and until then your arguements are ridiculous especially since you are an ICT supporter  :010:

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Henry, I do take your considerations seriously, but my view is that as I mentioned in my previous post we have and should continue the momentum, this is our third season in the SPL with virtually the same core team, we should not be salavaging points where we can but in real terms be alongside the Hearts and Aberdeen et al not languishing where we are, truthfully I would say that our team is as good as it gets and yet I am dismayed at the mediocre performances we have to suffer, if Celtic had really turned it on during the first half we would have been hammered and you know it and it's no use saying that these games we expect to lose anyway and all we have to do is get decent results from teams lower than us, no fan has to think like that, we have to go out and win, simplicato.

So and in conclusion, I would say that that we should have appointed an experienced manager, it's no use boasting how we pay our players peanuts and still make a profit, lets not be so short sited??? and go fer broke.

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Fair comment John, and that weed will feck yer heed by the way, but to be fair to an old fecker thats been around the gemme as long as I have had breath can you please tell me where I have misled you?

Sandy : Surely CC should be allowed at least 1 complete season in the job without idiots calling for his head... What did our previous manager achieve today..?? Came on as a sub at 0-1 down, with 20 mins to go, and helped his team to a 0-3 gubbing.....

Caley didn't let Celtic turn it on during that last game.... they don't let anyone turn it on....they are doing just fine.... you have to build up from some point.... They are on a much, much better footing than half the other clubs in this league....

Rome wasn't built in a fecking day......

Assuming that our tactics for Saturday don't involve sacking Charlie, i suggest something mildly less controversial.

Bring back Russell Duncan. I don't know whether he would come in for McBain Or Rankin, but i believe he is needed to balance midfield which looks far too lightweight.

Otherwise unchanged. 

With regards to the "Experienced Manager" argument.  Appointing young and ambitous managers to take us to the next level has worked thus far, so I see no need to change a formula which is working.

As for the idea of playing in Europe, I see no reason why we couldn't play there, however, we are far from being ready to compete on that stage.  A few European matches will do us no harm, but they have to be seen as part of the learning/growing experience, and that is not only for the team on the park, but the manager off the park and the whole club setup.  I would far rather see the club continuing to make gradual progress than jumping in and "going for broke" only to see everything crumble around our ears.

IMO, those who are looking for the European glory etc etc here and now are starting to sound like the OF fans, as all they ever do is mump and moan about how they should be doing this that and the next thing in Europe, when the truth is they themselves (at the moment) are nothing but small fish in the big European Pond.

Lets enjoy what we are doing at the moment, it's not all that bad if you take your head out of your erse and stop living in cloud cuckoo land.  Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being ambitous, but not to the extent that it has you knocking current achievements and getting on the back of the team, manager and club who have done us proud to date.

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Charlie 'played for' Steve Paterson and John Robertson, by no stretch of my imagination did he 'serve alongside'  these two managers unless Alex Caldwell and Donald Park were figments of my ageing process, he did as he was told and he really did it well, in fact it would be fair to say that Charlie Christie was instrumental in getting us where we are now, but! and I really don't want to belabour this point, and it's this, is that it??

Charlie has had an ever increasing role in the coaching of the first team since before he retired from playing so not only did he 'play for' these managers, but he did 'serve alongside' them as part of the coaching setup - maybe not as manager or assistant manager but as part of the coaching staff ......

Harry got it spot on and Johnboy backs him up --that's where it should be.

Imagine, CC has just got his feet under the table and just because  ICT have not won all their games to te some posters are calling for his head. I liked the thought that"how does a Manager get the experience if...?"--that's exactly what I was thinking too.

C'mon, for goodness sake give the man a fair chance. :012:

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Maybe I shouldn't have voiced my opinion so early but I have had my doubts since day 1, I really don't want to see the lad hurt after all he has done for us and I truly do wish him well.