The Cove

Scotty

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elder Boy, hence my boycott of Japan, Norway, Icelend and the Faroes. Hit them where it hurts - don't travel there.

Just out of interest, is there much of a travel industry for the Faroes?

Edited by Renegade

Elder Boy, hence my boycott of Japan, Norway, Icelend and the Faroes. Hit them where it hurts - don't travel there.

Just out of interest, is there much of a travel industry for the Faroes?

We play them a fair bit during Euro / World Cup qualifiers and I was genuinely looking at a cruise which called in at the Faroes but have chosen not to go because of the grind. I think the Faroes are actually governed by Denmark but have extended devolution with Denmark controlling foreign affairs and defence.

Renegade you sure take the biscuit for that last remark. Head deep in the sand, eh? You can change your lifestyle you know and the first step to do that is to educate yourself on the fundamentals of this and other similar issues.

As to the other remarks made on here , in the main the empathy and sensitivity of many of the posts is very encouraging. Maybe the younger generation is changing focus in this worl of greed, corruption and bestiality of tMan towards other species.

To the person who wrote---" the animals in slaughter houses are killed humanely, they stun them, don't you know?" Please read my first post on that topic. Stunning often does not kill them at all.

The references to chickens is very appropriate on this thread, Farmed chickens used for laying eggs have to sit in small cages with at least one other chicken, are force fed and they are treated as little more than a machine. This is their life and they are NEVER allowed to run free or stretch their legs and theyu can hardly move let alone turn around. The incredibly cramped conditions in which they exist must seem to them like hell on earth--the natural act of a chicken is to scratch yet their cage floor consists of thin metal wire on which they have to stand or squat for 24 hours a day. Have you ever tried to walk on such bars and know how difficult it is and then think how painful it must be for these birds. The wire bars are open so that they can drop their bird mess through and of course, as far as I know, no one is assigned to clean out their cages on a daily basis.

As far as the Japanese having respect for the rules and regulations of the Internation Whaling Commission. The former flaunt the rules consistently and the Commission is nothing more than a sop to public outcry.Period.

What scientific research can go on for years relating to whales, or other animals/mammals.? All that needed to be learned about them has been sent to the archives years and years ago, if not centuries. And modern science has learned anything that might have been overlooked, donkey's years ago.

Have all their years of research resulted in more humane killing? What is humane, by the way, about blasting a explosive harpoon into a whale or other marinme animal , watching it explode inside the beast and the agonising death throes of the animal. And by the way, how many of you know that it can take up to an hour or more for that whale to die as it usually is tethered alongside the vessel and I have not the slightest doubt that many of them are dragged onboard and butchered whilst they are still alive.

Fish farms don't work. ! On the West Coast of Canada the salmon coming into the rivers to spawn have to pass these farms and are infected with the sea lice that is associated with farmed salmon. That is one of the significant reasons why the numbers of returning salmon to the spawning rivers, like the Fraser, have been decimated over the last few years and ARE NOW SO LOW THAT THE MATTER IS ONE OF THE MOST SERIOUS ISSUES FACING THIS INDUSTRY IN OVER TWENTY OR THIRTY YEARS.

The cod fishery on the East Coast of Canada is now virtually finished completely due to overfishing ,which has had huge effects on the employment situation in the coastal regions of Eastern Canada. And Iceland has no cod either is that correct? Salmon and other fish is no longer as plentiful as they once were here on the West Coast and the Government instituted a policy of buying the fishing boats from the fishermen to get them off the seas and has put strict quotas in place to cotrol the aize of catches. ETC.

Without going on , unless there is a major effort made now by Nations to understand that this planet is about to fall apart unless a concerted effort is made to institute enforceable policies to protect alll sentient animals and all plant lifeand respect their rights to exist and flourish, without being wounded cruelly or being reduced to ashes.

The fact is that their role in nature cannot be replaced if we want to maintain the balance that has been arrived at over many thousands of years in Nature.Without the small fish the large fish will die, without the large fish the plankton and weeds will flourish and kill off everything else in the ocean etc, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to keep this topic current ... received this email newsletter today from the aforementioned Ric O'Barry and again, if anyone has not seen the Cove, I urge you to rent it and be shocked and driven to action or support of this cause.

http://eii.org/saveJapanDolphins/coveEmail12.html

post-2-1271256744_thumb.png

For most parties it is irrelevant ! The Seal Hunt equates to being political in only about a dozen parliamentary seats in Atlantic Canada. If you are pro-hunt in those seats you stand a chance of being elected, if you are anti-hunt ... forget about it.

Liberals - for the hunt: http://www.liberal.ca/en/newsroom/media-re...nable-seal-hunt

Conservatives - for the hunt (and say the liberals are not): http://www.conservative.ca/EN/other_storie...nadian_sealers/

New Democrats - for the hunt: Cant find an official policy but the leader's chief of staff was fired in 2004 for opposing it.

Green Party - against the hunt: http://greenparty.ca/node/13342

Interesting to see the Greens state that the hunters are supported through federal assistance, yet the conservatives are very pro-hunt. I've got Canada on my list of places not to visit until they ban this. I'm no PETA activist, just don't think it's a correct way to dispatch young seals. Much in the same way in which the Japanese and Faroese go about their whaling.

A wee Dolphin fact for you, and one that may upset all the Dolphin lovers that think they are great. Along with humans...Dolphins are the only other creatures that effectivley RAPE other Dolphins. Gang rape scenarios have been observed, where a single female dolphin is forced into sex with several persuers while the other male dolphins effectivley take it in turns to corner the victim!

Do you have a link to a paper on this? Would be interesting reading. Certainly I know that they are like lions in that they practice infanticide but I have read nothing on this. I read today in The Guardian / Times that Japans whalers have returned from their annual whale hunt with a fraction of the total animals they had sought to kill for "scientific purposes". They had managed to kill some 500 whales with all bar one being Minke Whales. Sadly, the IWC is said to be considering ending the moratorium on commercial whaling. I remain hopeful this does not get the go ahead.

Edited by RiG

A wee Dolphin fact for you, and one that may upset all the Dolphin lovers that think they are great. Along with humans...Dolphins are the only other creatures that effectivley RAPE other Dolphins. Gang rape scenarios have been observed, where a single female dolphin is forced into sex with several persuers while the other male dolphins effectivley take it in turns to corner the victim!

Do you have a link to a paper on this? Would be interesting reading. Certainly I know that they are like lions in that they practice infanticide but I have read nothing on this. I read today in The Guardian / Times that Japans whalers have returned from their annual whale hunt with a fraction of the total animals they had sought to kill for "scientific purposes". They had managed to kill some 500 whales with all bar one being Minke Whales. Sadly, the IWC is said to be considering ending the moratorium on commercial whaling. I remain hopeful this does not get the go ahead.

The corruption in regard to this issue needs to stop. Japan essentially bribes small island nations so it can get its way. I'm going to put the cove on to my lovefilm rental list.

• 1 month later...

I see that undercover journalists for The Sunday Times managed to harpoon the governments of quite a few minor nations who vote with Japan on whaling. It will come as no surprise to Scotty or anyone that they confirmed selling their votes to Japan in return for aid, expense allowances and prostitutes. There's a short version of the full expose here.

Sunday Times

doesnt surprise me in the least ..... it was highlighted in the film that smaller/poorer countries were having their votes bought for the odd bit of business thrown their way or the odd building built or refurbished in their country so the extension that cash and sexual favours were also involved comes as no surprise.

What IS maybe surprising and a bit shocking is that the international community continues to let this sham go on. The IWC has no credibility especially when you consider it allows some countries in (sponsored by Japan of course) who are landlocked and have no whale population or who get in by virtue of the fact that whales briefly pass through their waters during migrations and they cant even say what type or how many !!!

Japan has scheduled a huge whaling operation in the North West Pacific. Their aim is to bag about 900 whales. Of every type and description.--not just minke.

Their last expedition was curtailed by anti-whaling boats--Greenpeace I think- and their catch came to about 517 whales instead of the 900 which they hoped to catch. They are operating 2 whalers and 3 "research" vessels. Now tell me why do they need 3 research vessels. Do they need to capture or kill 900 whales to get data?For what.

What a farce

They freely admit that they sell the meat after the hunt.

Scotty hit the nail upon the head.

The one fly in the ointment is the fact that if all fishing like this was stopped in Japan then what would the popu;latiuon eat?

They are surrounded by water and, traditionally, are a fishing nation?

To be successful in changing public opinion to stop this type of slaughter you must convince the Japanese that the cost of their food will not rise.If they have to import food , instead of bringing it into Japan through their ports directly off the boat, the likelihood of a cost increase is high.

The counter to this is that if they keep fishing as ferociously as they have been doing as far afield as they can, almost certainly to service the greedy interests of the owners of these factory vessels, rather than simply to ensure that a supply of food is kept coming in for the population, then very soon there will be no fish or marine animals left in the ocean, the whole oceanic ecosystem will have been changed irrevocably and it will have been de-stabilised so radically that it may take centuries to return to the productive state that in which it once flourished.

The old approach to doing business which was that you must protect the sources of your food supply by prudent agricultural or marine processes/practices (e.g. by North American Indians)...AND therefore NOT OVERFISH , etc ... has long gone by the wayside. This means that huge damage has already been done and, so long as greed is allowed to flourish unchecked, then the whole situation is hopelessly lost.

My view is that the earth has reached a tipping point . Even the fish that still exist in the oceans of the world are filled with contaminants and mercury. In the Pacific North West the industrial run-off discharge pipes have flooded Puget Sound with toxins almost without restriction and all the baby whales are dying in large numbers (and other species) because the systems of their parents are filled with these toxins and after they are born their internal systems cannot handle the challenges they face due to the poisons passed on to them by their parents who themselves will almost certainly die earlier than they should for similar reasons.

There is a crisis now in the Fraser River, which courses down through British Columbia to exit through the port of Vancouver into the Pacific Ocean, because sea lice from fish farms and, presumably toxins out in the ocean and the fact that the number of fish that salmon eat have accordingly also been severely reduced, has created a huge reduction in the salmon returning to spawn upstream. At one time, a salmon canning factory in the small village Port of Steveston at the mouth of the river was the largest in the world and exported canned salmon to every part of the globe whilst employing hundreds of people. Now it is a museum!!

Even Steveston itself, which once had a huge fishing fleet of boats, is now in total decline.

I hope some of the younger fans are reading this thread because it is you will be most affected by these adverse changes in our environment in the future. Every dog has its day and my day is well nigh done so.....?

And it will be up to you to do what you can to resist all this vicious crap! The problem facing all of us now is that I don't think we have too much time left to make the drastic changers that are necessary just to contain the damage which has already been done. The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is still ejecting 60,000 barrels of oil a day into already ravaged and decimated coastlines.

And here in Canada we are now facing huge floods in the middle of the country due to the changed weather patterns which, in one area, dunmped three months of rain on them in two days causing immense damge and loss of life.

But wait...as they say in most T.V. commercials... there is more to come---you aint seen nothin' yet.

Do you have a link to a paper on this? Would be interesting reading. Certainly I know that they are like lions in that they practice infanticide but I have read nothing on this.

Edited by RiG

The one fly in the ointment is the fact that if all fishing like this was stopped in Japan then what would the popu;latiuon eat?

They are surrounded by water and, traditionally, are a fishing nation?

Dolphins are mammals, as are whales.

Fishing like that is barbaric, the dolphins are lured into the cove and systematically speared from small boats and left to bleed to death. Dolphin meat is high in mercury (2000 ppm vs WHO recommended maximum of 0.5 ppm) and was distributed to schools for pupils lunches.

It has to stop.

You are right of course, P. M. F. the way they do it to these large marine beings is horrible. Even a bullet in the brain would be preferable to the cruel butchery perpetrated against them in a captive situation where they are unable to escape .

But I did go on to explain my reasoning which is basically that somehow the population would have to be convinced that their diet could be filled from another source or replaced and that the cost of eating would not rise. Faint hope on both these counts.

It's all about money of course and powerful forces are arraigned against the proposed stoppage of such butchery.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a link to a paper on this? Would be interesting reading. Certainly I know that they are like lions in that they practice infanticide but I have read nothing on this.

Smee? Any news on this then?

• 2 weeks later...