Dangerous Driving!

Joonya

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can barely believe some of the idiots on the road. From the people coming off the A9 at Raigmore using right hand lane to turn left, to Inshes roundabout, to parking is disabled - check. Had a lovely incident heading north out of Glasgow the other day. Current speed limit is 40mph, with signs EVERYWHERE advising of average speed checks, and limits are generally very well adhered to. Out of nowhere (we had all been Staying In Lane religiously for a few miles), a car came behind me out of nowhere and literally almost rammed me at about 70mph. After a few hundred metres of being about an inch behind me, he swung to other (inside) lane just as we were approaching traffic lights, failed to stop in time behind the car stopped at the lights and basically undertook me, pulling in front of me as he swerved to avoid the stopped car. Right, he's learnt his lesson we thought. Oh no. Now, if anyone has driven that route recently, aroundf the Cumbernauld area, you'll know how narrow the lanes are. This tw@t decided he'd had enough of both lanes travelling at a steady 40mph and decided to attempt to squeeze in between the 2 lanes, despite them being choc-a-block with traffic. 4WD (aye, it wasn't anything small and thin he was trying to squeeze between) ended up slamming on breaks to avoid concrete barrier he was being forced towards, general chaos ensued in his wake and he sped off. Didn't get his reg, will leave it to karma...

Rant over.

Horrific news about the teenagers in Inverness. The extra information about the girl involved driving the car of her boyfriend who was killed in very similar circumstances such a short time ago was just astonishing and barely believable. Sympathies to all involved.

I will say that if you find the roads frightening in a car, try communting every day by push bike. It's utterly terrifying. It gives you a real appreciation for the lack of skill that some drivers display, as well as lack of manners and an unhealthy aggression towards other legitimate road users. I've had drivers spit at me, drive their cars at me, shout, bawl & swear at me. Mention the highway code and they go ballistic. I have no doubt that many of them are sane and rational people who undergo an incredible transformation of personality when they get in a car. Scary.

Heart goes out to those Bairns families - :P :crazy02: - the Boy played for the Clach Youth Team.

Maybe they should have a Law which Limits the Power of the Car you can drive/purchase after you pass your test - regardless of your age! I know some folk are more confident than others, but I really don't think some know the power and destruction of the cars they drive!

Mrs PB

Thats one solution MrsPB but theres no real way to police it. After all, mummy and daddy will no doubt buy it for them anyway which automatically knocks that out the equation.

I used to regularly ride my bike to work and back and everyone knows how much walking i tend to do, and davie is right in his perception of events when out. I forever get cheesed off when a driver doesnt give me enough room, or expects me to leap a fence or whatever so they can save brake fluid. To give them a dirty look and shout a few choice words back at them doesnt quite relieve the annoyance generated.

I am forever looking out for walkers and cyclists purely because i know whats it's like to have tw@ts ignore your presence.

The person mentioned in my OP is someone many on these forums will know, but perhaps correctly, his name was deleted to prevent getting personal. I just hope that person has read all of the above and has come away from it all with a bit more respect for others. I hope everyone has! I still remember the number plate.... ** *** :lol:

Heart goes out to those Bairns families - :mellow: :( - the Boy played for the Clach Youth Team.

Maybe they should have a Law which Limits the Power of the Car you can drive/purchase after you pass your test - regardless of your age! I know some folk are more confident than others, but I really don't think some know the power and destruction of the cars they drive!

Mrs PB

There is absolutely no chance of any government introducing a age / power limit law with regards to cars. This is because it will cost them votes. A law was introduced in the motorcycle world quite a few years age which restricted riders to certain bhp restrictions and could only progress up the power / bhp league once they'd held a licence for two years or so. The introduction of these new laws were strongly opposed by the rider organisations but they introduced it anyway because there arn't so many of us motorcyclists about to affect the vote.

If they did the law for 17 year olds only then it wouldn't affect votes. I agree though powerful cars should be monitored after passing tests.

On another note, she didn't even have a licence so any law like that wouldn't have mattered.

Edited by MrsICTFC

Except your hypothetical scenario did not exist. We know that it was a 17 year old girl who hadn't passed her test and the only other passenger was a 17 year old boy. It was an extremely dangerous thing to do and sadly they have suffered the most catastrophic outcome.

Edited by RiG

I think I read it when I popped home for the weekend so it was an actual hard copy of the article as opposed to one I read on the internet. Maybe Saturdays P & J. I vividly recall reading the piece and thinking to myself "Christ why were they in the car int he first place!?"

Last night down the notorious Beach Boulevard a lassie was knocked down in a hit and run incident. Given the amount of utter fannies who race up and down the road there it would be very hard not to be looking at one of the so called Bouley Bashers as the guilty party.

Heart goes out to those Bairns families - :D :( - the Boy played for the Clach Youth Team.

Mrs PB

There is absolutely no chance of any government introducing a age / power limit law with regards to cars. This is because it will cost them votes. A law was introduced in the motorcycle world quite a few years age which restricted riders to certain bhp restrictions and could only progress up the power / bhp league once they'd held a licence for two years or so. The introduction of these new laws were strongly opposed by the rider organisations but they introduced it anyway because there arn't so many of us motorcyclists about to affect the vote.

In N. Ireland the law states that all recently passed drivers have to display R plates and can go no faster then 45mph or go on Motorways for 2 years.

The really sad part is the Girl's Boyfriend had been killed in a Accident with his Works Van

a few weeks before. She was devastated and begged his folks for his car ? hence why

she was driving it.

The Lad lived on our Street.

Such a shame.

:( :lol: :022:

Whilst I feel very sorry for the families involved, I can't help feeling a slight tinge of anger at the fact that (by all accounts) she was driving illegally. If it is indeed true that she had no licence then she had no insurance either. What if she had hit another car or worse a kiddy? I know some may feel I'm being a bit hard or heartless but ask yourself what if she had hit your child? Too many people, young and old drive around illegally. Wether it be minor things like tax or more important things like insurance and a licence, people think they can get away with it. Unfortunately it always others that suffer. In this case it is the families of the two youngsters.

Can I just point out that whilst I have had this rant I still feel sorry for the families and find it such a shame that 2 youngsters have lost their lives in this way.

The two persons in the car had been friends for many years and were both, I'm led to believe, grieving the loss of the boyfriend. Has it crossed anyone elses mind that this may not have been an accident and that no laws would have prevented it.

The two persons in the car had been friends for many years and were both, I'm led to believe, grieving the loss of the boyfriend. Has it crossed anyone elses mind that this may not have been an accident and that no laws would have prevented it.

Whilst I can see where you're going and also the reasoning behind it, I think we have to be careful about speculating too much. I'm not saying you're wrong but as there has been nothing released to point toward this theory, I just don't know if we should be going there. Either way it is a sad waste of life.

Extremely unlikely.