Dangerous Driving!

Joonya

The truth is seldom found in extremes!

So although I can agree with Don about the 'cycle fascists' who think motorists are inferior species (just as Peter Tatchell used to piss me off with his obvious contempt for straight people), I still think a lot of motorists need to get out on a bike and see how the other half lives. They should see cyclists as road users, rather than just a nuisance (and the same goes for tractors and the like).

I don't think getting a scratch on your shiny expensive BMW Cocoon or Ford Airbubble really compares with getting your skull fractured because somebody was only half paying attention. I used to take my bike right into Edinburgh every morning and unless you made eye contact with the driver when pulling out to pass a car, or using a roundabout, they would more or less assume you didn't exist. Same goes for the diddies who just throw open their car door without checking the mirror.

I still try to use my bike but I would never take it into town now. I would like to think that my experience gives me a bit of respect for cyclists, so that for example, I give them a wide berth on the open road rather than just squeeze past when there's oncoming traffic, unlike so many motorists who are just in a hurry to get past at any cost (to get to their next traffic jam as soon as possible).

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So although I can agree with Don about the 'cycle fascists' who think motorists are inferior species (just as Peter Tatchell used to **** me off with his obvious contempt for straight people), I still think a lot of motorists need to get out on a bike and see how the other half lives. They should see cyclists as road users, rather than just a nuisance (and the same goes for tractors and the like).

I don't think getting a scratch on your shiny expensive BMW Cocoon or Ford Airbubble really compares with getting your skull fractured because somebody was only half paying attention. I used to take my bike right into Edinburgh every morning and unless you made eye contact with the driver when pulling out to pass a car, or using a roundabout, they would more or less assume you didn't exist. Same goes for the diddies who just throw open their car door without checking the mirror.

I still try to use my bike but I would never take it into town now. I would like to think that my experience gives me a bit of respect for cyclists, so that for example, I give them a wide berth on the open road rather than just squeeze past when there's oncoming traffic, unlike so many motorists who are just in a hurry to get past at any cost (to get to their next traffic jam as soon as possible).

Excellent post with the exception of the piece highlighted, it is the responsibility of the driver/rider of the moving vehicle to allow space for doors opening from a stationary vehicle, rear passengers do not have mirrors!

From the Highway Code

Driving in built-up areas

Residential streets. You should drive slowly and carefully on streets where there are likely to be pedestrians, cyclists and parked cars. In some areas a 20 mph (32 km/h) maximum speed limit may be in force. Look out for

vehicles emerging from junctions or driveways

vehicles moving off

car doors opening

pedestrians

children running out from between parked cars

cyclists and motorcyclists

Edited by Revbirdog

I can also sense a transference of anger on your part,

No - honest, Dr. Freud... some cyclists just very simply p*ss me off!! :004:

If indeed true and not excise licence envy, as my diagnosis would indicate, perhaps you should heed the advise set down in the Highway Code. I appreciate given your years it may well have been some time since you read it :004:

Be considerate. Be careful of and considerate towards all types of road users, especially those requiring extra care (see Rule 204). You should

try to be understanding if other road users cause problems; they may be inexperienced or not know the area well

be patient; remember that anyone can make a mistake

not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey

slow down and hold back if a road user pulls out into your path at a junction. Allow them to get clear. Do not over-react by driving too close behind to intimidate them

not throw anything out of a vehicle, for example, cigarette ends, cans, paper or carrier bags. This can endanger other road users, particularly motorcyclists and cyclists

The "Band A" free tax (and varying levels beyond that) is nothing more than the government pandering to the enviro maniacs to make it look like they are actually doing something to combat pollution.

That is very true but your post does not account for the classic motor being tax free, there is a whole group of motor vehicle users who pay no excise duty on some of the most carbon inefficient vehicles on the road.

Ah yes, the "free tax" for classic car owners...the majority of whom are middle/upper class. I wonder why a Tory Government would have introduced such a thing?

So although I can agree with Don about the 'cycle fascists' who think motorists are inferior species (just as Peter Tatchell used to piss me off with his obvious contempt for straight people), I still think a lot of motorists need to get out on a bike and see how the other half lives. They should see cyclists as road users, rather than just a nuisance (and the same goes for tractors and the like).

You're right, and I have seen the reverse side of the coin....but I've still witnessed more cyclists cause problems for themselves than motorists have.

Until cyclists are held equally accountable for their poor use of the roads then nothing will change, IMO. The only way to bring about that accountability is some kind of bike registration for road use and such a scheme should not be funded by the motorist....hence the need for taxing cyclists. Furthermore, if you are going to hold cyclists more accountable then they should have the necessary provisions to pay for the damage they may cause...hence the need for insurance, either individually or via a national cyclists register scheme funded from cyclist tax.

The "what about the kids" argument doesn't hold any water with me. Roads are a dangerous place and kids should not be cycling on them....let's get back to the days of cycle tracks/parks where kids can play with their bikes and get them off the roads. How do they get there? The same way I was made too when I was a kid....push the bike there.

The "Band A" free tax (and varying levels beyond that) is nothing more than the government pandering to the enviro maniacs to make it look like they are actually doing something to combat pollution.

That is very true but your post does not account for the classic motor being tax free, there is a whole group of motor vehicle users who pay no excise duty on some of the most carbon inefficient vehicles on the road.

Ah yes, the "free tax" for classic car owners...the majority of whom are middle/upper class. I wonder why a Tory Government would have introduced such a thing?

I believe it was actually an attempt to secure the Dingwall vote but since the Tax discs there are of the photocopied variety it failed miserably.

Edited by Revbirdog

Man - Horse - Bicycle - Car - Women training for 5k pink cancer run

Thats the order of evolution on the roads. It's pure impatience that leads to annoyance with slower road users. It's mental (politically incorrect, but so is our election system) how people get soooooo annoyed and righteous in cars. Share, and you will feel so much happier.

Side note : Some folk that cycle the roads will also be paying road tax. Not me, but some will.

to be fair, the labour government have had plenty time to change it if they so wished although they did introduce a cut off date , pre 73 i think, whereas the tories had a rolling 25 year system.I have a 1969 car and yes its nice getting free tax but your right in as much as most people driving classics should really be able to afford the road tax

There's plenty of cyclists out there who are totally oblivious to the rules of the road and/or choose to ignore them and get themselves into bother as well.

I would go so far as saying that I see more cyclists ignoring traffic lights (especially at crossings) than I see adhering to them...how more of them don't get flattened coming off the bridge and heading up Bridge St (and vice versa) is beyond me. Also worth noting that they totally ignore the cycle lane areas marked out for them in these locations.

You then get the ones who pass parked cars on their side of the road and give you the finger because you dared follow your right of way coming in the other direction.

Whilst I do have some sympathy for those on bicycles, they don't do themselves too many favours and, in my experience, bring a lot of the hassle they get upon themselves.

As do many drivers of other vehicles.

If every road user employed a little tolerance, patience and forward thinking there wouldn't be accidents nor a need to blame or categorise other road users.

. . . . . but one thing on the roads which annoys me are charity drives between Land's End and John O' Groats. I don't mind the folk walking as they keep clear of the road and don't cause an obstruction, they are also accomplishing a feat of physical endurance but I have been stuck behind four or five tractors, six quad bikes and I am sure there has been a Sinclair C5 too and they all have their support vehicles none of which want to do more than about 20 miles per hour. . . . .

I remember seeing someone being interviewed on TV after doing one of these charity things from Lands End to John o' Groats involving tractors - he said a lot of drivers had shown their support by blowing their horns as they passed!

I rather think he misinterpreted the message. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I am still in a state of shock regarding an instance of a cyclist on the A9.

I was travelling south on the A9 from the roundabout at the Stadium and after passing the slip road from the East, A96, traffic was coming onto the dual carriageway and I moved over to the outside lane as a cement mixer type hgv was on the inside lane and was going to let the traffic in. Then I saw a cyclist, no helmet, no high-vis clothing, on the outside of the carriageway, ie on the outside of the fast lane, cycling southwards! A death wish, if ever I saw one. Where was she going, why, and how did she get into the middle of the dual carriageway going south! As I turned off the A9, I have no idea where she went but, presume she arrived safely as there were no reports of fatalities in the press, thankfully. Sorry - it was a girl!

I have every respect for cyclists on our roads but, this was madness.