Free anti-virus software

KennySim93

Protection-wise, there's nothing between AVG 9 and Avast. The only difference is you can use AVG in safe mode whereas Avast relies on a service to run (which is disabled in safe mode)

I have free edition of Sypyware Doctor and it is the best. I got it free when i downloaded a free Google pack thing. Its great.

Anti-Spyware is not the same as Anti-Virus.

My recollection is that Avast has a rather rough-looking image (no frills. like) but works very well.

It's fairly improved since the version you speak of. Still pretty basic mind, but definitely has improved visually.

I have free edition of Sypyware Doctor and it is the best. I got it free when i downloaded a free Google pack thing. Its great.

Anti-Spyware is not the same as Anti-Virus.

My recollection is that Avast has a rather rough-looking image (no frills. like) but works very well.

It's fairly improved since the version you speak of. Still pretty basic mind, but definitely has improved visually.

I know that, but it is an anti-virus as well.

• 1 month later...

Spyware Doctor is a malware (spyware) removal programme specifically; It's from a company called PC Tools which also producesc Registry Mechanic , the latter being used by me for years successfully and generally without problems.

Both are excellent . You can fine tune Spyware Doctor to run automatically or , as I do, on demand only.

As I recall, both have the real time running feature which means ,basically, that they are standing at the gates into your computer and monitoring activity. The problem that I have experienced with R.T.running is that it absorbes too much of the p.c's resources and, in the case of Trend Micro, it caused a meltdown of my computer which became slow and then stopped altogether. Finding the cause of the problem ,and fixing it, ultimately cost me $200 and I learnt a healthy lesson.

Trend Micro used to be a reliable and good anti virus programme. Then they started getting into and combining their process with spyware, becoming biiger and bigger and very unwieldy . So, after many years of use, I had no alternative but to dump them. The programme itself comprised over 300 MB at the end.