Scottish Cup Final (merged)

ICTPaisley

If Clach were in the final we'd all go i think?

It's the fact that RC have become the closest ever to being above ICT that is causing an intensity of feeling towards them. Personally, i keep my attitude towards them the same as when ICT were in SPL and they were in Div 2...i.e. pretty nonchalant.

County came close to eclipsing ICT this season...promotion and europe. As long as they never get to the SPL, they have no bragging rights. Still a diddy team :P

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another scenario i have thought of here although i do think this thread has run its course now...

What if County were playing Dundee at Victoria Park on a day where ICT were not playing and if County were to win then ICT would win the league and if Dundee won then they would win the league. Would you go to support County in the hope that they would stop Dundee winning the league?

Would you then go and support County for that game?

No but I would will them on for the reason that it would benefit us.

Take it you don't go to support ICT at Victoria Park eitheir then?

I very much doubt we will lose fans to Ross County because of this cup final. The only fans that may sway over to the other side will be people that haven't been to any ICT games and experienced the ICT atmosphere. Once you experience that there is no turning back. If it's people that turn to Ross County then its those who haven't given anything back to ICT in turns of gate receipts and merchandise.

Wrong, it has been said in this thread already that youngsters are converting to RC over us already, one of my friends from Ayrshire originally now living here has kids and like most true football supporters he is encouraging his kids to not follow the easy OF route and to choose a local team, they used to be Caley!!!! until yesterday.

Hmmm well surely its those type of fans we don't need at the club.

Aren't you from County territory anyway? I used to live on the black isle a few years ago and its very rare to find ICT fans over that way, especially in schools and i'd say most young kids who do support ICT from over the bridge is down to parents who have encouraged their sons and daughters to take in an ICT match instead of Ross County.

Just another scenario i have thought of here although i do think this thread has run its course now...

What if County were playing Dundee at Victoria Park on a day where ICT were not playing and if County were to win then ICT would win the league and if Dundee won then they would win the league. Would you go to support County in the hope that they would stop Dundee winning the league?

:P :lol:

Of course I do, what are you going on about?

I very much doubt we will lose fans to Ross County because of this cup final. The only fans that may sway over to the other side will be people that haven't been to any ICT games and experienced the ICT atmosphere. Once you experience that there is no turning back. If it's people that turn to Ross County then its those who haven't given anything back to ICT in turns of gate receipts and merchandise.

Wrong, it has been said in this thread already that youngsters are converting to RC over us already, one of my friends from Ayrshire originally now living here has kids and like most true football supporters he is encouraging his kids to not follow the easy OF route and to choose a local team, they used to be Caley!!!! until yesterday.

Aren't you from County territory anyway? I used to live on the black isle a few years ago and its very rare to find ICT fans over that way, especially in schools and i'd say most young kids who do support ICT from over the bridge is down to parents who have encouraged their sons and daughters to take in an ICT match instead of Ross County.

We don't need young, primary aged, fans who have not yet made up their minds about football? Are you mad? We need every fan we can get. Every fan who buys a ticket to ICT or a piece of merchandise makes the club grow stronger.

Again i don't understand this. Do you not get enjoyment out of just being at a football ground? I would certainly go to cheer on Ross County if it was a chance for us to win the league, Just as Partick cheered us on at Clyde because they thought they wouldn't be getting relegated. I bet they had a great day out and that was what was probably intended. Watching football on TV has never really entertained me unless it has been ICT that has been playing but at football grounds its completely different, the atmosphere alone makes it much better viewing regardless of who's playing.

:P :lol:

Of course I do, what are you going on about?

I may have interpreted your reply wrong, I thought you implied you wouldn't go to Victoria Park to give County encouragement if we needed them to beat Dundee as it would mean you giving money to the tinks.

Edited by Iain

We don't need young, primary aged, fans who have not yet made up their minds about football? Are you mad? We need every fan we can get. Every fan who buys a ticket to ICT or a piece of merchandise makes the club grow stronger.

I'm not saying we don't need them, i'm saying there local team is Ross County, if thats what they've been told by their parents to support then thats their club they will pick. The majority of our support comes from Inverness and the surround areas and its a bonus when we have fans from in County's area but its few and far between unless you have been raised to support ICT.

Again i don't understand this. Do you not get enjoyment out of just being at a football ground? I would certainly go to cheer on Ross County if it was a chance for us to win the league, Just as Partick cheered us on at Clyde because they thought they wouldn't be getting relegated. I bet they had a great day out and that was what was probably intended. Watching football on TV has never really entertained me unless it has been ICT that has been playing but at football grounds its completely different, the atmosphere alone makes it much better viewing regardless of who's playing.

I'd rather go watch Embo City and listen to the radio for updates.

EDIT at least I could have a few beers at the match.

Edited by Revbirdog

Any fan who wants to go to a cup final to support their biggest rivals is a disgrace to their club. I cant belive this is being discused. Would this happen with any other club? No, would it f***. Embarasing.

By the way, are you all going to join in when they sing 'stand up if you hate Caley' like they did for most the match against Hibs?

:lol: You would be gutted if we didn't have a rival team to moan at wouldn't you. The old school fan has to hate their local team with a passion and hope that they go out of business but when it actually happens they have nothing to do apart from actually support your team with no hatred involved anymore making it that little bit more boring for them.

I'd have thought after the merger ICT fans would be a little bit more open on these sort of things. How can you be so anti Ross County in going to matches to see them that could benefit Inverness or to see a highland team take the Scottish Cup. Surely you were as anti Caledonian or anti Thistle as you are today so how did you deal with seeing the two teams together. I'm surprised you actually had the sense to keep supporting ICT. What would you do if County and ICT merged? :P

Any fan who wants to go to a cup final to support their biggest rivals is a disgrace to their club. I cant belive this is being discused. Would this happen with any other club? No, would it f***. Embarasing.

By the way, are you all going to join in when they sing 'stand up if you hate Caley' like they did for most the match against Hibs?

No i reckon if there was a small ICT following at the final we could get some friendly banter. ICT hopefully win the league and County fans will be happy to be in the final, A great season for the highlands.

:lol: You would be gutted if we didn't have a rival team to moan at wouldn't you. The old school fan has to hate their local team with a passion and hope that they go out of business but when it actually happens they have nothing to do apart from actually support your team with no hatred involved anymore making it that little bit more boring for them.

I'd have thought after the merger ICT fans would be a little bit more open on these sort of things. How can you be so anti Ross County in going to matches to see them that could benefit Inverness or to see a highland team take the Scottish Cup. Surely you were as anti Caledonian or anti Thistle as you are today so how did you deal with seeing the two teams together. I'm surprised you actually had the sense to keep supporting ICT. What would you do if County and ICT merged? :P

You just can't see the bigger picture can you? Only interested in going along hoping to get high on the atmosphere of someone else winning a trophy.

No their not at all, supporting your club has nothing to do with hating/disliking other teams it's about following them in good times and in bad times. It's more embarassing to have the views you do IMO.

No i reckon if there was a small ICT following at the final we could get some friendly banter. ICT hopefully win the league and County fans will be happy to be in the final, A great season for the highlands.

Good luck with that and enjoy the Part-time supporter chants too.

I'd have thought after the merger ICT fans would be a little bit more open on these sort of things. How can you be so anti Ross County in going to matches to see them that could benefit Inverness or to see a highland team take the Scottish Cup. Surely you were as anti Caledonian or anti Thistle as you are today so how did you deal with seeing the two teams together. I'm surprised you actually had the sense to keep supporting ICT. What would you do if County and ICT merged? :ohmy:

You just can't see the bigger picture can you? Only interested in going along hoping to get high on the atmosphere of someone else winning a trophy.

You completely ignored ICTPasiley's point :P

I'd have thought after the merger ICT fans would be a little bit more open on these sort of things. How can you be so anti Ross County in going to matches to see them that could benefit Inverness or to see a highland team take the Scottish Cup. Surely you were as anti Caledonian or anti Thistle as you are today so how did you deal with seeing the two teams together. I'm surprised you actually had the sense to keep supporting ICT. What would you do if County and ICT merged? :ohmy:

Is this because it's Ross County? That statement doesn't seem to look like it. The atmosphere will be good at Hampden but as RIG said before alot of ICT fans went to see Gretna when they were in the final. Its all a great day out for football but its not glory hunting or supporting another club part time.

I would also take in a Clach game in the Scottish Cup if they were to play around my area in the central belt against one of the 4 league sides. The unlikely hood of a team winning a cup match makes for a great day of football i think. Not jumping on the bandwagon and celebrating their victory with the clubs fans.

Do you not think the Raith end would be full of Dunfermline fans, wanting to "put Fife football on the map?" :ohmy:

Do you not think the Raith end would be full of Dunfermline fans, wanting to "put Fife football on the map?" :ohmy:

No but i bet they'd like them to beat Utd!

I'm sure our resident psychologist would have a field day with this debate.

On the one hand you have those who cope with the disappointment of County's success by denying its significance.

On the other, you have those who cope with the trauma by creating some pseudo affiliation and bond with the enemy, and who clearly need counselling for this Stockholm Syndrome type of condiition.

You completely ignored ICTPasiley's point :ohmy:

Which point was that? The same one he has gone over and over again? Or would you like me to explain that I have stood in the Jailend before and been outed as an ICT fan and had heaps of abuse fired at me (circa third division when I went three or four times after being in the pub in Dornoch and asked along by Staggies who drink with me) I have no interest in standing or sitting with them at football any more, I fear losing potential ICT fans through C*unty success and for that reason want no part of it. And his other point about mergers, I saw the merger as a take over and that's how I dealt with it, I was not happy at having Thistle in the name but I stuck with the team having "Caley, Caley, Caley" and "Give me a C" chanted in the Howden End and Property of Caledonian FC above the gate, the toilet door painted red and home strip of blue and white really made it all the easier to deal with. I am now an ICT fan, and happily chant O2B but if there was another merger, with C*unty, then I'm afraid it would be Brora for my football, happy?

Is this because it's Ross County? That statement doesn't seem to look like it. The atmosphere will be good at Hampden but as RIG said before alot of ICT fans went to see Gretna when they were in the final. Its all a great day out for football but its not glory hunting or supporting another club part time.

I would also take in a Clach game in the Scottish Cup if they were to play around my area in the central belt against one of the 4 league sides. The unlikely hood of a team winning a cup match makes for a great day of football i think. Not jumping on the bandwagon and celebrating their victory with the clubs fans.

Why not go into Raith or Utd end? At least their fans will welcome you to their end.

I couldn't care less what County get up to except to the extent that it effects us, and I am astonished and disappointed that ICT fans can be in favour of something which is detrimental to our club.

Cup success for County helps them in areas where we compete against them in a small local market - attracting new fans, attracting local business sponsorship, and attracting players.

This cup run has earned county a fortune, and a win and European football would make them even richer. The "Highland football" fans might like to consider that even if we get promoted, County would be able to offer the likes of Foran, Hayes and Rooney higher wages than we can.

So be careful what you wish for.

I agree with you completely Yngwie.