Terry and Maurice: Wanted Goods?

Renegade

Now that ICT under Butcher and Malpas have won the league, a momentous achievement given the circumstances, do people suspect that rumours of a departure of the management could be on the cards in the not too distant future? Personally I can. The fact that Butcher is still a big name in English football and has now had some success at managerial level, I think it's almost certain. I can see a club, perhaps a League 1 sized team with promotional aspirations, whilst on a tight budget, making a move the management team. What about a bigger SPL side, looking for some balance and stability? He was linked with the Hearts job once after all. Whether they'd choose to go or not is another thing, but perhaps a side like Ipswich (Butcher's team of course alongside Rangers) would be too big an offer to refuse. Will Terry and Maurice become wanted goods? This poster says yes.

Should this be in the rumours section? I believe that winning the league was an achievement. What would really fire interest is if they can lead us in to a top six finish next year combined with a good run in the Scottish Cup.

Should this be in the rumours section?

No, as it's not a rumour. If I said that Butcher was wanted by X, then yes that would be a rumour. But this is not a rumour, rather me trying gauge people's thoughts on the future and a very possible scenario that may/will arise.

Of course they will draw attention from bigger clubs, and the more success they have with us, the more likely they are to be offered a contract by a bigger team.

I'm afraid that's the way it is - we're just a wee team and can't compete financially with certain others.

It is inevitable that we will only keep a successful manager for a limited time - remember Pele, Robertson, even Brewster - all poached by bigger teams.

Of course they may decide they like life in Inverness so much that they won't want to leave, but I'm afraid that's unlikely.

Terry's stock will have risen, however I think it is premature for English clubs to come a-chasin, as 1) his record outside Scotland isn't as good as it is here, and 2) It was the SFL.

The only teams that might be taking a cursory glance would be Aberdeen and Ijust don't think Terry would see that as worth the upheaval as it's aposoned chalice thesedays.

If TB/MM get ICT to 7th or above next season, then yes, I think a Championship team or an SPL team would be interested. But too early yet i'd say. I think Terry is really enjoying the success and adulation, as at Brentford, Sydney etc he got a rough deal, so I think he is quite enjoying the moment, and so he should. He is a great man manager, the other clubs' boards just couldn't see that and were fan & player-led, which is always a mistake.

Terry constantly talks about making TCS a "special" place and there's no hint of any aspirations to be anywhere else, or that he is using his time here as some kind of stepping stone to bigger things.

I have a gut feeling that Terry is here for as long as we'll have him.

Terry constantly talks about making TCS a "special" place and there's no hint of any aspirations to be anywhere else, or that he is using his time here as some kind of stepping stone to bigger things.

You also missed out Inverness is a special place, Its got a bridge and a castle, thats what swung it.

I really hope that he does well next season. He's been working hard to build up a rapport with the fans and he can only be applauded for that.

Terry's stock will have risen, however I think it is premature for English clubs to come a-chasin, as 1) his record outside Scotland isn't as good as it is here, and 2) It was the SFL.

The only teams that might be taking a cursory glance would be Aberdeen and Ijust don't think Terry would see that as worth the upheaval as it's aposoned chalice thesedays.

If TB/MM get ICT to 7th or above next season, then yes, I think a Championship team or an SPL team would be interested. But too early yet i'd say. I think Terry is really enjoying the success and adulation, as at Brentford, Sydney etc he got a rough deal, so I think he is quite enjoying the moment, and so he should. He is a great man manager, the other clubs' boards just couldn't see that and were fan & player-led, which is always a mistake.

This.

To be frank, I suspect that Terry is more noted south of the border for his distinctly unsuccessful spell in charge of Brentford and Mo for his even less successful stint at the helm of Swindon than for their recent success with ICT.

• Agree 1

Better to be a large co.ck on a small dunghill than a small co.ck on a large dunghill.

His salary should not be a pittance by any means I would wager so why would he not want to be a long term resident of Inverness, put the team and himself on the map and enter his dotage smoking tartan-wrapped cigars with his newly-bandaged heid wrapped in a MacButcher toorie with a tassle on the top......marked...

"Here rests ma toorie on mah bloody red head

I know I've dun a guid joab and now ah'm aff tae bed

They like me here in Inverness and I like it here too

It's a nice wee placie and I know you would say that too.

I've had a tough life and no mistake, and it's not always worked out

But here at Caley Thistle things have gotten better and better throughout

And that is surely without a doubt 'cos Terry has prioved he has clout.

I stayed for the glory and a little bit for the pay

But, the real reason was that I could do whit ah wanted and I did it MY WAY.

Yeah,yeah, YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, Wullie, pass the bluidy ball man and get on with the bleeding play.

:004:

• Disagree 1

Of course they will attract attention from elsewhere. But they are here, have signed contracts so lets enjoy the ride. They have brought belief back and Terry Butcher has been brilliant at making the fans feel important. This season coming could be fantastic for us. Bring it on.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Mahonio

I think if we achieve a place in the top 6 he'll be away as he will have no more work to do and other clubs will be much more interested in him.

Unfortunately, MissICT, i am going to disagree with the bold bit because of this few words said by Butcher that i remember and will always remember "I like it up in Inverness" or words to that effect which make me feel rather confident he'll be here for a good while.

• 4 months later...

Here's a thought for you, could Butcher be the next manager of Rangers? Now, as we all know Ally McCoist seems to be propped up as the manager in waiting, but from what I can see, him getting the Rangers job isn't much different from when Lennon got the Celtic job. What if it all goes pear shaped for Lennon at Celtic (which it could well do), would Rangers want to be seen to make the same mistake, or would they rather go from someone a bit more experienced and to somewhat a degree, a bit more successful in this country as a manager? Will Butcher be the next manager of Rangers? Well, stranger things have happened.

He might not be manager but I can see him joining the staff at Castle Greyskull....

Interesting post from Mahonio a couple of posts up this page.

I've given him a green dot for that one - I know how important these things are to him!

Edited by Johnboy

I can't see many English clubs going for him but maybe Motherwell (as Craig Brown...um...how do I put this...might not be here forever) or another Scottish club. I sincerely doubt Rangers. Possibly as part of a management team, although I always got the impression Butcher would rather manage than assist - even for Rangers.