Graham Alexander

My point is that a player like Alexander (I am no longer being specific as what I am trying to iterate would be specific to any experienced player moving to ICT) who is coming to the end of his career at the age of 38, may take the wages that ICT would offer as his priorities lie in playing his final year of football in Scotland and the wages are irrelevant as I agree that ICT would not be able to afford the type of wage that he is currently on at Burnley.

As for Pressley being an example of a player who was out of favour at his club, I believe that Alexander is quite a similar case due to his age. Perhaps he would be more suited to a role as a squad player at a Scottish club like ICT than a position in a Burnley squad trying to win promotion in the Championship.

I know what I am trying to say in terms of fans having to have faith in their own team's ability to draw players in even if I am not making it clear; I'm sorry if this is the case. I just feel that for us to shake the stigma attached to our club with regards to our ability to attract players, we have to believe as supporters that our club is attractive as the first step in making it so. All it takes is one or two big names to move to a club to put it on the map to other quality players, and with the likes of Terry Butcher at the club, coupled with the incredible success of our squad this past season - we are surely becoming more and more attractive to players who wish to play for a successful Scottish side with plenty of potential for future growth.

However, as I've said I don't want to argue about this case of Graham Alexander in particular as it is a very speculative rumour given that all we know is that A Scottish team is looking around him. I maintain however that this idea is not ridiculous in the case of any similar player, as I believe our team to be a very attractive one with a promising and capable squad, a great and well-known management and a support that is loyal throughout the team's successes and failures - something that is harder to find in teams at the top-end of the SPL where success becomes expected.

The point of your argument that I disagree with is the fact that "we wouldn't have a hope of getting Graham Alexander". My post earlier in this thread was regarding everything that the club has to offer and how we have grown in stature and history over the 16 years we have been in business. As for budget, Alexander has surely amassed quite an income through playing for Burnley and may well just want to end his footballing carer playing in Scotland while taking the drop of wages in his stride.

You're talking about his budget. I am concentrating on ICTs. If Alexander were to come in his wages would break our structure, something that will not happen again post Niculae (the club have said this incidentally).

We have sen this in established Scottish players moving to the likes of Falkirk in Stephen Pressley's case; a player who once player for Celtic moving to a smaller club with a lower SPL status and obviously taking reduced wages.

Erm, slight difference with that one. Alexander has been a Burnley regular this season. When Pressley moved he was well out of the picture at Celtic and desperate for first team football knowing he wouldn't get it at Celtic. The scenarios are hardly similar.

all I'm saying is that as a club and a support, we need to start believeing that this type of transfer is feasable - otherwise nobody else will and we will remain an understated club with little pulling-power.

So to make ICT a more "attractive club" for potential signings we need to believe that unrealistic rumours of players signing for us are possible therefore leading to other players signing for us? wacko.gif

Edited by Wyness13

I'm with RIG on this one.

There is a huge difference between "talking the club down" and being realistic. As much as it would be great to see a GA type player coming our way I would be gobsmacked if he did and then question the wisdom/impact of spending so much money on one guy (deja vu?).

He was picking up wages in the EPL where (from what I think I remember seeing in a Deloitte Study) has an average wage of ?32k per week basic. The English Championship was the second highest waged league in Europe two seasons ago and guys in English League One earning ?15k plus are ten a penny. It is therefore only sensible to recognise that he is going to get an offer from some club way beyond our means and that of almost every club in Scotland.

Unless of course he is a rare thing in football and wants the lifestyle close to his Auntie in Dores ..............

I know what I am trying to say in terms of fans having to have faith in their own team's ability to draw players in even if I am not making it clear; I'm sorry if this is the case.

I can't really get my head round some of what you are saying and I don't agree with a lot of what you are talking about to be honest. However some parts I agree with. Yes if we can get some decent names in then others might follow but Alexander doesn't fall into that bracket for me and the issue of wages would scupper other "bigger names" coming to us. To be honest I'd rather see us continue to take in players like the Ian Blacks of the past and Jonny Hayes of more recent times than hope to get some "Golden Oldie" on a final pay day contract.

Edited by RiG

The way a rumour has turned from being "A Scottish club are rumoured to be looking at" to "That Scottish club might be us"- :lol:

The way a rumour has turned from being "A Scottish club are rumoured to be looking at" to "That Scottish club might be us"- :lol:

Good post, will read again.

Yes - i never actually said that it was us - I was merely hoping. But from what I gather Alexander is only too willing to take a drop in wages inorder to look to somewhere to settle. given the fact that he aint even Scottish made me initially scoff at the rumours of heading north. But my source says that he wants to play at a level where he can still hack it and he doubts whether he can hack the championship.

He is also looking at a coaching post - Dundee may still be where he ends up.

What's wrong with Inverness?

It's good enough for Butcher, Malpas, Foran, Tokely, Golabeck, Esson, etc, etc, etc....

Why shouldn't it be good enough for him?

The fact he's played the last season in the premiership, for me makes it un-realistic in my eyes.

What's wrong with Inverness?

It's good enough for Butcher, Malpas, Foran, Tokely, Golabeck, Esson, etc, etc, etc....

Why shouldn't it be good enough for him?

The fact he's played the last season in the premiership, for me makes it un-realistic in my eyes.

I was referring to the city of Inverness and its desirability as a place to live.

If you're not sure what I'm on about, just ask TB, MM, Foran and Hayes if they like living here.

Edited by Johnboy

The rumour mill is NOT for a personal wish list, it's for rumours people may of heard. Jesus how many times!

The rumour mill is not exclusive to rumours about ICT so what is your problem about having a rumour that Graham Alexander is being looked at by a Scottish club?

I agree with everyone that says we could never match his wages. If he comes to Scotland, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign for a year or two with Hearts. They might be in the financial sh*t but it looks like they're losing Michael Stewart and he's probably on more than 5k - they have players on upwards of 10k by all accounts. Alexander strikes me as Jeffries' type of safety-first signing.

Jhesus - i wish that this was actually a feckin wind up !!!

But from what I am told he loves hill walking and fishing plus he has apparently kept in touch with Butcher. There is more to luring players than the wage - I wonder if anybody connected to the club could find him a cut price property.

Burnley song lyrics for Graham Alexander Is 94 Years Old

Graham Alexander is 94 years old

He should be wearing glasses

He should be going bald

He should withdraw his pension

But he's not ready yet!

And when we get a penalty,

He'll stick it in the net!

Ohh

Graham Alexander is 94 years old

He should be wearing glasses

He should be going bald

He should withdraw his pension

But he's not ready yet!

And when we get a penalty

He'll stick it in the net!

I hear we are getting Modric, Lennon and Bale in a straight player swap for Gavin Morrison.

that sounds pretty plausible..

lennon has family who live in lhanbryde (i went to school with his cousin) and thus has a link with the area, bale has been given a tip off about the delights of highland sheep and told harry he wants a move north and modric is getting ever more tired of the city life and wants a move to somewhere more quiet and picturesque like his hometown of zadar, so a move to inverness seems an obvious choice.