Player of the Decade

Yngwie

I was reading that in his last ever game for St J, Paul Sheerin is to be presented with an award as the fans' choice of "Player of the Decade". Previous winners were Roddy Grant (90's) and John Brogan (80's).

Who would be ICT's players of the 90's and 00's?

I think the idea of a player of the decade has got to take into account the value of the long term contribution made by the player, as opposed to the best player to feature for us at any point during that decade, if you see what I mean.

I didn't see much of us prior to 1998, but Charlie and Stewartie would have to be contenders for the 90's.

For the most recent decade, my choice would be Tokely. Noughty legend.

I was reading that in his last ever game for St J, Paul Sheerin is to be presented with an award as the fans' choice of "Player of the Decade". Previous winners were Roddy Grant (90's) and John Brogan (80's).

Who would be ICT's players of the 90's and 00's?

I think the idea of a player of the decade has got to take into account the value of the long term contribution made by the player, as opposed to the best player to feature for us at any point during that decade, if you see what I mean.

I didn't see much of us prior to 1998, but Charlie and Stewartie would have to be contenders for the 90's.

For the most recent decade, my choice would be Tokely. Noughty legend.

Agreed.

Naughties would almost certainly be Tokely.

Unlike Roy who has also been here throughout the naughties, rosscoe has been able to hold down a regular place throughout the duration.

Golly has always been solid for us also, but obviously a wee spell of inconsistancy before he headed loan to Livi also gives rosscoe the edge.

As for the 90's i'd say CC.

He was there throughout the merger and those tough times, scored when it mattered, created chances and was still at the club as a player up until promotion 2004. He's still with us now!

Ian Black? you having a laugh.

I'm obviously not having a laugh because I didn't put a smiley at the end.

If Tokely left the team, at any point, I think he could have been replaced. Black, I think it will be a long time before we get a player like him again. He is much better at football than Tokely. Took a while to settle in but when he did, he demonstrated class and technique.

Are we doing this based on how long someone has been at the club?

I think that's pretty relevant when talking about the best players over a period of time. The best footballer we have had in the last decade is possibly Niculae although I agree Black was a great player also.

True, I suppose that's the difference between the best player for the club over the decade and the best individual player of the decade.

For me, Tokely for best player for the club and Niculae as best individual player, certainly the most talented.

I think Niculae would win the prize for "Overrated Player of the Decade", "Overpaid Player of the Decade" (a fight between him and Barrowboy) and him and Dean McDonald would be in contention for "Laziest Player of the Decade" too.

I'm going to go for Brian Kerr. Ok, sure, he wasn't here very long but he exuded class. His full-blooded commitment to the cause made him a cert for a future captain. Shame he went to Dundee but our loss was their gain. No wonder he pulled that poor team up to a mighty second.

We can only shake our heads at the glory that might have come if this dynamo had stayed. I'm sure a third Scotland cap is just around the corner.

Are we doing this based on how long someone has been at the club?

Assuming it's for the player who's contributed more to the club than any other over the past ten years, it would have to be Tokely.

90's Calder because whilst we were in Divs 3 and 2 and much of our first spell in the first I always felt we would score more goals than he would allow to pass him, '00s Wilson because when he re-signed for us in '93 I was told the following day by a C*unty supporting mate and my first words to the news were "we've won the league" that alone tells me that Wilson is my favourite ever player in an ICT shirt.

Edited by Revbirdog