Can ICT win the SPL?

I remember Livi's first season in the SPL. They finished 3rd didn't they? They had an excellent season that year so it is possible to over achieve. They even got into europe because of that but winning the league i doubt can ever happen.

Why not? Having seen Ross County play Celtic off the park a few weeks ago, what have we got to fear? Rangers are bankrupt and will probably have to sell their best players in the summer, Celtic are worse under Lennon than they were under Barnes. Who have we got to fear? Aberdeen? Hibs? Motherwell?

I believe!

beer.jpg

Nothing wrong with belief but the answer to the question is IMO NO! Maybe, if we could get to the top half and stay there for a load of years we could come close but I dont see any team in Scotland outside the big two win it in the next tens of years.

Rangers are not bankrupt. They have big debts and need to make cuts to maintain those. This financial year they reported a profit.

Celtic under Lennon have gained 24 league points from a possible 24. How the hell does that make Lennon worse than Barnes?

So long as those two command the fanbase they have then no other club, unless bought over by a very rich person with a Chelsea-esque type budget, they will always win the Scottish top league.

But, you dream on for all of us mate.

We could get a millionaire owner, get Geroge Burley and tempt the Riccarton 3 north then who knows?

Give me the Dubliners with Butch and Mo above those lot any day!!!! And in case it slipped your notice mate, we already have a millionaire owner.

Admire the optimism but seriously - NO.

As has been said before, we simply dont have the resources or manpower to sustain a title winning challenge for the whole season. It is one of the same arguments we used at the start of this season to dismiss the challenge of almost everyone except Dundee.

My personal hope for next season is that we somehow scrape into the top six as that will be a major achievement. I will however be happy with somewhere between 7-9th and would also find 10th or 11th 'acceptable'. The only unacceptable outcome for next season is 12th !!!

We could get a millionaire owner, get Geroge Burley and tempt the Riccarton 3 north then who knows?

Give me the Dubliners with Butch and Mo above those lot any day!!!! And in case it slipped your notice mate, we already have a millionaire owner.

Aye, but he's not a MILLIONAIRE, he merely has a million pounds if you add up all his belongings.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - anything can happen in life.

Very true. Who know maybe one day Obama will take his jacket off, lay it down and insist he cover the puddle so I have a dry safe journey across the road.

But caley wont win the league.

Anything is possible after what happened yesterday! However I would be content with staying up next season and top six next season. But if we play well - this squad has done really well this year - who knows? Don't think we will win it but we are as good as the majority of teams in SPL so on that basis we might get top six this season. Cmon Inverness.

I've already told Alan Savage to start saving because he's going to have to shell out big time for our top six finish this coming season and our Euro adventures the season after.

Back to the question....

Can we win the SPL? Yes, any team in the league can win it, that's the whole point.

Will we win the SPL? Who knows, I'm not as gifted as IHE with the tea leaves.

Do I think we will win it? No, but I wasn't convinced we'd win Div 1 either and I'd be delighted if I was proved wrong again.

Seriously though, it's the whole Aims v Expectations argument that crops up on here time and again and it's the pitfall that many fans fall in to which then leads to much of the negativity that can occur.

For me, our Aims for the start of the coming season should be SPL survival and our Expectations should be that we do that fairly comfortably.....i.e. no last game deciders. Anything beyond that falls into the category of hopes and dreams.