did butcher make a mistake?

SuperCaley94

I always felt their was more to Imries departure than met the eye.

Could never doubt his commitment when on the pitch, but I wonder if it was pure coincidence that the team seemed to find a bit of get up and go when Imrie (and Barrowman) got up and left.

While Imrie was a class player i always thought he was a bit of a moan. Have to say fair play to him. He left we got money then he went on to do well so fair play to the boy. Can hardly moan when we went unbeaten after he left so cant slag Butcher

Imrie showed his true colours in the Alba Challenge Cup Final.

A poor man's Johnny Hayes i.e. less pace, less skill, less goals, less assists, a poorer right foot, poorer discipline... less end product.

As soon as he left we became a closer unit. Coincidence??

On one hand I can't help but feel that if it was felt we were in with a genuine shout of the title back in January we would not have got rid of him. On the other hand I have heard he was not the most positive influence in the dressing room.

Bottom line, though, is have we missed him? No.

So I guess it wasn't a mistake.

Imrie showed his true colours in the Alba Challenge Cup Final.

A poor man's Johnny Hayes i.e. less pace, less skill, less goals, less assists, a poorer right foot, poorer discipline... less end product.

As soon as he left we became a closer unit. Coincidence??

Agreed, from the minute he lost the ball I watched him and knew way before he got sent off what he was going to do.

It was like he was saying well we're gonna lose so stuff it lets make it about me rather than the team. From that point I think it made up Butchers mind and as others have said too give me Johnny Hayes any day of the week.

It would have been interesting to see how Imrie would have faired in the last 5 games of the season had Hamilton finished in the top 6? Not very well I would think.

Agree with this 100%. Do not regret Dougie leaving us at ALL.

Would you rather watch Dougie Imrie or Johnny Hayes on the right wing? Def the latter for me (we also got money for Imrie and reduced the wage bill)

Yngwie has it spot on, we were in need of cash and Imrie got a move back to the SPL that he wanted, he said himself that him and Butcher weren't exactly getting on so in the end i think the right move was made.

He hasn't been missed and i look forward to seeing how he fairs against us next season.

As posted earlier, we played much better football without him, won the league and managed to get a reasonable fee for his services.... good move for everyone involved.

I've got nothing against Imrie, he's an impulsive player but didn't produce enough for us because of inconsistency and injury. He also doesn't have a natural position and is somewhere between a striker and a winger... I don't think Tel or Brewster could find the position that could get the best out of him

Hamilton, Billy Reid & Imrie is a good combination... hopefully he isn't as effective against us next season.

Saying all that does anyone know if we ever lined up:

Hayes Imrie Foran

Rooney

Can't remember it but might of worked.

Saying all that does anyone know if we ever lined up:

Hayes Imrie Foran

Rooney

Can't remember it but might of worked.

Yeah... Last October against Raith we beat them 1-0 away, and we had a 1-1 draw at home to Dunfermline 1 week later.

Imrie was a live wire but, as others have said on here, I'd rather have Johnny Hayes playing for us and we've not lost since Dougie left.

Don't forget, to win his Sportsound award, he only had to be better than the other Hamilton players (and their opponents) in a selection of games last season. I'm optimistic that we'll have 11 players who would regularly quality by those criteria every week next term!