I.C.T fans going to Hampden. Why?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good luck to County but I wouldn't be going to support them. I am amazed at the number of County fans that are travelling(!) down - didn't realise Victoria Park held so many people. But seriously, I know quite a few going to the match and you wouldn't need any fingers to count the number of matches they went to between them this season.

Does it actually matter? People are being ridculed for supporting County today, but some of the people that are against supporting them seem obsessed with slagging of the people who are. Some ICT fans want them to win, some don't why can't everyone just accept that rather than having 3 threads getting on their backs?

It's a great achievement for County to get to the final of the Scottish Cup but I can't get my head around I.C.T followers who are lending their support at Hampden. Am I alone in this?

No - you're not alone in your puzzlement - but you are most likely in the minority. The majority of ICT fans (who don't post on here in any case) will presumably wish County well and many will have a Highland day out. I also wish them well and don't participate in the usual vitriol (as opposed to good-natured rivalry and banter!).

If I was in Glasgow I would go to the game. Don't think I could actively support county but watching on telly at home I think I will find myself preferring them to win.

I remember watching the semifinal and actually getting right into it, when they scored the 2nd I didn't cheer but I wasn't far away from it! At 90 mins I reflected and, when I thought they had gotten into Europe (and beat us in that particular chase), I was absolutely gutted.

It's a great achievement and I wish them well in the final.

I don't think they should be criticized because at the end of the day, all cup final's have a great atmosphere and therefore make a great day out :D . It would be cracking for the highlands to recieve more acknowledgement in the press so while I'm a ICT fan through and through, i wouldn't be upset if county won. In sayin that i would have to smile if they got humped :P

I can only imagine, the reason for so many ICT "Fans" getting behind county is that they are not so much fans of ICT....they are more just fans of football. I hve brought this up before, and further backs up my theory, IF these people are not just fans of football....where were they (the 3000-4000 "fans" ICT have) when Inverness had 3 Highland league teams?

Deny it all you want...but most fans of Aberdeen will NOT be wnating Dundee Utd to win today. As much as Dundee Fans wouldnt want St Johnstone to do it, or Dunfermline Fans would see Raith Win it etc etc. Ross County get to the final...and a pile of fence sitting ICT fans sod off to cheer them on. Maybe this explains the poor atmosphere at TCS. Coz lots are there to watch a game of football rather than "support" ICT

I also believe it is people like myself, who have a longer established, deeper seated roots with local football, who find it harder to cheer on what is our local rivals! And therefore...we are in the minority, compared to the New Age ICT fans!

Edited by SMEE

They might just be football fans looking to take in a game.

Here I am a Brisbane Roar fan. But while travelling for business I have attended games involving other teams because I like football. In fact I make a point of mingling with the home fans to take in the home atmosphere of other teams. One of my best football experiences was a night taking in a Melbourne Victory game with the home fans. (They have a fantastic pub near the stadium!)

I am happy to take in any live football I can get. I even attended Grant Street for a Highland League match Clach V Cove (from memory.) Cheapest night of football entertainment I have ever had. Walked from Dalneigh to Grant St, ticket, food, drink, social club all for less the 25 quid - Bargain and I top night entertainment.

Edited by Gabby

They might just be football fans looking to take in a game.

As i think is the case wi a portion of those who turn up at ICT games....many of whom are probably away to the final today!

I can only imagine, the reason for so many ICT "Fans" getting behind county is that they are not so much fans of ICT....they are more just fans of football. I hve brought this up before, and further backs up my theory, IF these people are not just fans of football....where were they (the 3000-4000 "fans" ICT have) when Inverness had 3 Highland league teams?

I also believe it is people like myself, who have a longer established, deeper seated roots with local football, who find it harder to cheer on what is our local rivals! And therefore...we are in the minority, compared to the New Age ICT fans!

Can't agree with that comment at all Smee. I grew up with Highland League football and started supporting the Jags at age 8 or 9 when my grandfather was the groundsman at Kingsmills. But - living in Dalneigh, I would also find myself at Telford Street now and again climbing over the wall at the Bumbers Lane cos I didnt have the entrance money. As you must know, we all had pals/drinking buddies, whatever, who supported the Jags or Caley or Clach (who my father and uncle played for). Those were the local rivalries then and if I remember rightly, we would always lend reluctant support to rivals on cup runs.

I always enjoyed Jags v Ross County matches and enjoyed the rival banter - but that's all it was!

A few of the regular posters on here who indulge in the more vitriolic of attacks do not have a proper perspective on Highland football history.

Here we go again, round three..............

The needle is stuck on the record for some folk, get over it. It's their day, let them have it, we are the ones back in the SPL let's not let them forget that.

They have done well to reach the final, jealousy is a terrible thing.

If I didn't have other plans for this evening then I may have been tempted to make the trip.

I went down the the Cup Final involving Gretna and it was a great day out. I had no preference for either team going in to the game but I did find myself caught up in the atmosphere of the occasion and supporting Gretna....but I put that down to something I believe exists in the Scottish psyche about always wanting to see the underdog do well.

People find themselves coming together for various things and various reasons in life. Rivalry between areas of Inverness goes out the window when we're all Invernessians, and rivalry between towns goes out the window when we're all Highlanders, that disappears when we come together as Scots and then again when we're defending the UK and for some when we stand together as Europeans.

The majority of us will Support players from other teams when they our out there representing Scotland and it doesn't make us any less of an ICT Fan. For me the same logic applies today. Many will see todays match as Ross C*unty representing the Highlands, so it's little surprise that fans of other teams will be out lending their support....especially those from the area.

about three qaurters of Inverness are made up of glory hunters. their not there to watch a game of football. their there so they can only experiance the good side of football

Hampden is a 2 minute walk from my flat and I wouldn't even consider going along unless it was to sit in the United end.

I can understand people going to see a neutral game and enjoying the football/atmosphere etc. but the ICT 'fans' travelling down to Glasgow and sitting in with the C*unty fans are going because they want to be part of our rivals success... possibly the worst example of glory hunting ...

I am an ICT supporter and when we make it to a Scottish Cup final and I take my seat in Hampden the feeling wont be tainted

I wonder if all the ICT 'fans' will be singing C*unty songs and wearing the club colours???

Hampden is a 2 minute walk from my flat and I wouldn't even consider going along unless it was to sit in the United end.

I can understand people going to see a neutral game and enjoying the football/atmosphere etc. but the ICT 'fans' travelling down to Glasgow and sitting in with the C*unty fans are going because they want to be part of our rivals success... possibly the worst example of glory hunting ...

I am an ICT supporter and when we make it to a Scottish Cup final and I take my seat in Hampden the feeling wont be tainted

I wonder if all the ICT 'fans' will be singing C*unty songs and wearing the club colours???

Agreed. and just for the record I do wish it was us.

about three qaurters of Inverness are made up of glory hunters. their not there to watch a game of football. their there so they can only experiance the good side of football

??? - very worrying!

the sentiment or the spelling? Or both?

??? - very worrying!

the sentiment or the spelling? Or both?

Both! But mainly the grammar!

I can only imagine, the reason for so many ICT "Fans" getting behind county is that they are not so much fans of ICT....they are more just fans of football.

SMEE, you really do talk some *****. I've said it yo you before (I think) just because they want County to win it doesn't mean they're more fans of football rather than ICT fans. You can't use an example of hating another team to act as a catalyst for being a bigger fan of your own team. Although I want United to win, CaleyD makes a very good point and I think thats how the ICT fans who are wanting County to win today feel. They should be allowed to do so without ridicule.

I am utterly sickened by the amount of support being shown to county by ICT fans!!!!

I have wanted to write that for weeks and it feels great to finally say it!

If this makes me a bad person in other posters eyes, then so be it. I would be gutted if county got a shot at europe before the mighty ICT.

Even BOTH the commentators were saying they couldnt imagine too many other teams fans backing their rivals in a final! They are neutrals.....yet....seem to agree with me and the others of the same chain of thought!

But....al leave the happy clapping, fence sitting, glory hunters to it.