A9 petition

f*ballers wife

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As this Forums dually elected politician might I say to you the electorate, friends all, that the necessary conundrums are as equally important as the essential factors in the determination of any satisfactory input towards an equally satisfactory output in the diverse universe that is todays world, not forgetting the capacity of individuals and social groups in determining the valuation of the social impact of all of the factors prevelant in todays society.

Anyway getting back on topic...

True RiG, but just one train load could take 40 - 60 lorries off the road. Cost is also a big issue which has been brought about by successive 'road loving' governments. They'll fund billions for roads and bog all for the railways.

Correct and the sad fact is that while getting on the rails would lessen the strain on the A9 the rail infrastructure is not built to cope. There is momentum gathering to dual the line between Inverness and Aberdeen and to increase the service along the line to an hourly one and I would imagine a similar plan for the route South of Sneck as well. That would help a great deal. ASDA gets loads of its stock up North to Aberdeen with about 4 - 6 containers heading up the line daily. That is for their two stores in Aberdeen and also one at Dyce as well.

In actual fact RiG, it works out cheaper, in the long run, to use the rail network. As Gringo says, 40 - 60 trailers a time. Two trains each way per day from and to Perth would not hinder the scheduled 3 or 4 passenger trains on this route. Theres double lines, for passing, at most stations. That would take some 200+ lorries of the A9 thus reducing road maintenance costs, environmental and energy costs and, of course employment costs.

All great in theory Alex but can you see the people of Inverness and the supermarkets that would utilise this service needing 100 trailers of goods being delivered daily if that is what you are suggesting by saying "40 - 60 trailers a time" because I might have misinterpreted that.

You need to also consider the issue of storage problems as well as if you got that many carriages coming up choc full of produce. Where are Tesco and Morrisons going to store it as their warehouses aren't big enough. Even at Christmas Tesco maxed out at about 20 lorries a day IIRC. If your comment about "40 - 60 trailers a time" is meant in the manner I am interpreting it you are suggesting a daily movement of goods on a level seen only at Christmas time.

While this would lead to great environmental benefits by reducing traffic on the roads which I am all for, it would potentially lead to a huge amount of food waste accumulating.

Finally, the lorries come from Dundee and Livingston not from Perth  :016:

Doubling the capacity of the railways would only take 1% of traffic of the A9, which is increasing by 3% per annum. I await the launch of the HITRANS strategy with great interest.

They have already set aside x amount of money for a rail halt at the Airport I believe.

Guest SOOLIVAN

The halt at the airport will have little or any impact on the A9 situation. Double the tracks and dual the road! ( and get the executive to pay for it! )

That'll be the taxpayer paying for it then eh?...Toll roads are the answer,pay as ya go.