A9 petition

f*ballers wife

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending the freight by rail is a lot more expensive.....  Also, there would be increased congestion on the railway which, like the A9, is mainly single track as well.

True RiG, but just one train load could take 40 - 60 lorries off the road. Cost is also a big issue which has been brought about by successive 'road loving' governments. They'll fund billions for roads and bog all for the railways.

In actual fact RiG, it works out cheaper, in the long run, to use the rail network. As Gringo says, 40 - 60 trailers a time. Two trains each way per day from and to Perth would not hinder the scheduled 3 or 4 passenger trains on this route. Theres double lines, for passing, at most stations. That would take some 200+ lorries of the A9 thus reducing road maintenance costs, environmental and energy costs and, of course employment costs.

There's definitely some merit in that suggestion. A depot could be set up around Balloch, where containers arriving by rail could be collected by trucks.

I stll believe the incidence of serious and/or fatal accidents on the A9 could be cut dramatically by making it dual carriegeway from Perth to Inverness. The hybrid arrangement that exists at present, is downright blo0dy dangerous.....

Nothing as far as I know for up near Sneck.  The only reason I know about the Ballinluig ugrade is because a company I worked for during the summer was doing some work on it.

The government is more focused on the Edinburgh Tram Project probably.

The actual plan for Ballinluig is to provide sliproads that remove the need for right turn in and out of village and to extend the dual carraigeway a further 500 metres south. This work begins in July. There has been talk about duelling all the way from Perth to the Perthshire / Highland boundary, by Perth & Kinross Council, but thats only at the talking stage. Its taken 10 years+ and a lot of casualties to get the Ballinluig junction progressed so I wouldnt hold my breath on anything else being done.

As for crawler lanes, they are just a pain in the but. The one thing that really gets on my wick is the driver who pulls out to pass a slow moving vehicle at a speed of one or two mph quicker than the vehicle he / she is passing, thus using the whole length of the crawler and preventing vehicles behind getting by.

.....the driver who pulls out to pass a slow moving vehicle at a speed of one or two mph quicker than the vehicle he / she is passing, thus using the whole length of the crawler and preventing vehicles behind getting by.

oh my!!!

YES, YES, YES.... with you RIGHT there babe!!!  :008:

Dualling of the A9 and A96 is necessary if not essential for the future of the economy of the whole of the Highlands. HGV can do 40 and tourism, business and local traffic can enjoy a relatively stress free journey. The fact is that the A9 cannot cope with the sheer volume of traffic on it now, so how can it allow the area to grow? Plus free flowing traffic consumes less fuel. Dual is always better than single! :005:

"Dualling of the A9 and A96 is necessary if not essential for the future of the economy of the whole of the Highlands."

Action Man,define the differance between necessary and essential!  yer startin to speak like a politition noo,you standin for Inverness East or summat?

(did you no get a dual in Invergordon one time?)  :001: mind if you do get into politics the Sun has first dibs on meh stories!!