Jonny Tuffey

Libero

I'm pretty sure keepers don't count for the under 21 rule so Tuffey would make the bench at least if Esson is first choice.

Have you a source for that? because as far as I have been able to find the rule only stipulates that "each club must include 3 players under the age of 21 in their match day squad"

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure keepers don't count for the under 21 rule so Tuffey would make the bench at least if Esson is first choice.

Have you a source for that? because as far as I have been able to find the rule only stipulates that "each club must include 3 players under the age of 21 in their match day squad"

Unless the rule has changed for the coming season:

3 outfield players under 21

It won't hamper us that much this year.

Cox and Blumstein are only 20 and are likely to feature regularly. Can't remember if Odhiambo is 21 or not? The likes of Morrison and Ross, even Shinnie have shown a lot of potential as well so wouldn't bother me to see them on the bench.

I don't agree with it either but looking at some of the young players we have in our squad it really dosen't bother me at all.

Cox and Blumstein are only 20 and are likely to feature regularly. Can't remember if Odhiambo is 21 or not? The likes of Morrison and Ross, even Shinnie have shown a lot of potential as well so wouldn't bother me to see them on the bench.

I don't agree with it either but looking at some of the young players we have in our squad it really dosen't bother me at all.

Yeah he's 21, but as you say with Cox and potentially Blumstein in the matchday squad that leaves one slot available for a youngster. I agree that it shouldnt really be a major issue.

Also I would expect Butcher to take in younger defenders looking at the age of our current backline

Yeah he's 21, but as you say with Cox and potentially Blumstein in the matchday squad that leaves one slot available for a youngster. I agree that it shouldnt really be a major issue.

Also I would expect Butcher to take in younger defenders looking at the age of our current backline

Tokely (31) Munro (29) Golabek (35) Proctor (26)

Doesn't look too bad, could do with a young, solid, pacey CB. I like the look of Phil Jones; youngster who broke into the Blackburn first team last season. Had a brilliant debut (think it was against Chelsea).

Or if we wanted a nippy, overlapping LB as Golly isn't the spriteliest, we could hijack Ashley Cole's move to Real Madrid. They're offering ?30m, I reckon if we offered ?500,000 plus unlimited text messages, it could swing the deal in our favour.

we could hijack Ashley Cole's move to Real Madrid. They're offering ?30m, I reckon if we offered ?500,000 plus unlimited text messages, it could swing the deal in our favour.

mosking.gif

Whilst being delighted to see a keeper of JT's ability and potential joining us (huge credit to TB) I didn't have the goalkeeping position particularly high on my list of priorities for the forthcoming season once Ryan had signed a new deal. To be honest, I would have been happy to go ahead with Ryan and a young back up in the knowledge that if injury occurs we would be able to bring in emergency cover as has been done on many instances in the past.

Have we shelled out significant wages on a position we didn't need to? I would have preferred the finances went on a more experienced versatile defender and target man.

All said, it is good news that we have been able to lure him North.

Whilst being delighted to see a keeper of JT's ability and potential joining us (huge credit to TB) I didn't have the goalkeeping position particularly high on my list of priorities for the forthcoming season once Ryan had signed a new deal. To be honest, I would have been happy to go ahead with Ryan and a young back up in the knowledge that if injury occurs we would be able to bring in emergency cover as has been done on many instances in the past.

Have we shelled out significant wages on a position we didn't need to? I would have preferred the finances went on a more experienced versatile defender and target man.

All said, it is good news that we have been able to lure him North.

Tend to agree. While it's great to have two such competent 'keepers competing for the jersey, I do wonder whether it's a prudent use of limited resourses.

Now that I 've found out he is 6 ft 1" I'm even happier, I thought he was a shorty!

As regards the financial aspect, although I take both the last points in hand, I think if we have signed him on reasonble money it is good buisness.

Wouldn't it be ironic, however, if our new younger English goalie ended up no.1 and who's to say this will not happen?

A couple of nice quotes in here ..... http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/glasgow-spo...02692-22414673/

"once I knew Inverness were back in for me there was only one place I wanted to go."

the two clubs met as recently as last week to discuss a compensation figure before the Highlanders later realised they wouldn't have to pay a penny to secure his services. McCall said: "The FIFA rule states that if the player is 23 during the season then he can go for nothing - if Jonny had turned 23 after the season ended then we would be due compensation"

If only they had read this thread first .....

From the SPL Rules and Regulations:

Compensation

D11.1 Compensation shall be payable to the former Club of a Player only where the Player concerned is Registered with his new Club at or before the end of the first Season in which the Player concerned reaches, will reach or shall have reached the age of 24 (amended to the age of 23 effective 1st September 2007)

:lol:

It is not very clear ...... Tuffey celebrated his 23rd birthday in January of this year (during the 09/10 season) so if someone bought him during the transfer window or at the end of the season then it reads like there is definitely some compo due.

However, the use of the word "at" makes it very murky ....... what is "at or before the end of the first season ...." ??? How long does "at" last? When does "at the end of 09/10 season" become "at the beginning of 10/11 season" and does that remove the obligation to pay compo? Also ... those rules are from the SPL handbook ..... does this match the SFL, SFA, UEFA and FIFA handbooks ??? If any of those still say 24 then the previous club could argue the case more easily ......

Great keeper and would be nice to see him at ICT but the easier route with less pitfalls and potential paperwork snafus is to redouble the efforts to retain our existing keeper who is also great !!!!

I think we - the fans - should be proud. I think the main reason he signed was because of the banter he had with us last season!

Totally!

And knowing that we had sung "Wish you were Tuffey" at the rest of the keepers in Div 1.

Delighted, though I presume the Penalty King will still be Number One. But it's great to have two good keepers again.

Shrewd move by Terry to sign Tuffey.

A solid defence, and in particular a solid goalie, spreads confidence through the team and is a huge asset to the team.

R Esson may, as stated, have a good season and then he may say goodby so...what then/ Scrambling for a new goalie if J T was not here, that's when.

As it is ,Ryan will play for his place and no mistake and if he gets a great move then we all wish him well and J Tuffey will be a great replacement.

Yep ,I like the way Terry is thinking.

I am personally getting really excited and I think we will surprise a few people when a new and improved ICT team settles down nicely and hits their stride. Fortress Longman will again become a venue to be fearedand dreaded.