ICT fan dies on Everest

Drochit Blue

What is saddest is that the club didn't know about this in advance. Something could have been organised to celebrate his effort in advance. But a celebratory walk would be a good remembrance.

Anyone else on this site doing anything noteworthy?

Why is it sad that a private individual who lives in Liverpool was not noticed by the club? Do I need to tell the club when I go to Africa and tell the locals about ICT?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is saddest is that the club didn't know about this in advance. Something could have been organised to celebrate his effort in advance. But a celebratory walk would be a good remembrance.

Why is it sad that a private individual who lives in Liverpool was not noticed by the club? Do I need to tell the club when I go to Africa and tell the locals about ICT?

A bit harsh, not to mention out of place given the tone and nature of the other posts!

A bit harsh, not to mention out of place given the tone and nature of the other posts!

Not out of place at all. Gordy was, in my eyes, criticising the club because they didn't know that an ICT fan was doing the 7 peaks challenge. Please tell me how that is the club's fault?

Reading all the news coverage, the only place that actually mentions he was an ICT fan is in the local newspapers. The nationals certainly do not make any mention of the fact that he was an ICT fan. All they mention is that he was a police officer from Merseyside.

Not out of place at all. Gordy was, in my eyes, criticising the club because they didn't know that an ICT fan was doing the 7 peaks challenge. Please tell me how that is the club's fault?

Reading all the news coverage, the only place that actually mentions he was an ICT fan is in the local newspapers. The nationals certainly do not make any mention of the fact that he was an ICT fan. All they mention is that he was a police officer from Merseyside.

Not quite, EWS. My last line was a suggestion, that if ICT were told he was climbing Everest, they may have found a way to celebrate that fact. I would not obvioulsy expect ICT to keep track of all their fans doings to see if any popped up above the "newsworthy" radar.

Gringo Jr. Howabout doing a sponsored walk from TCS to the top of the nearest Munro in tribute. I seem to remember reading he was doing the Seven Summits for a specific charity. Would seem fitting.

10 quid from me...might even join you.

I have not read this thread yet but it was brought to my attention by BA.

I would suggest a couple ideas.

1) that next years Highland March be to raise funds for the charity that this guy as raising funds for. We'll maybe get our shirts with his name rather than our own handles.

2) A mini Highland March to our first away game of the season

3) A munro, as suggested already

I am more than happy to meet with anyone and discuss ideas further. obviously a ver very sad story and I pay tribute to his efforts. Anything to show respect I am up for!!!

Wiki

Journal written by the team he was climbing with.

A couple of articles which tell more of who Peter was, and the circumstances leading up to his death.

The journal gives incredible insight into what happened. Much much more than anything the newspapers printed. I would call on anyone that has been critical of the rescue effort and the decision to leave Peter on the mountain to read this.

Peter_Kinloch.jpg

Edited by seoras

Agree - when you're considering an expedition such as this I'm sure it's continually explained and emphasised that you're going into an environment where rescue options are severely limited, and if something goes wrong in a bad location or at a bad time there's no way out.

Having read that I wouldn't criticise the party, but respect their courage and what they did to try and save Peter, risking their safety even further than the basic expedition already had done. RIP, and I agree it would be good for something to be done to recognise his passing in the new season.

I echo the kind words said previously. A truly tragic accident.

It is an amazing achievement to get to the top of Everest and takes an incredibly strong person both mentally and physically to make it to the top.

Having read the report from the team i dont think any criticism can be aimed in their direction as it is evident they did everything they could to get Peter down. They spent over 12 hours in the death zone which shows how determined they were and in doing so even risked their own lives in the rescue attempt.

Given that Peter chose to show his loyalty to ICT by wearing our colours while reaching Everest then i think it fitting that the club did something in recognition of his achievement. I hope there is some sort of recognition made by the club

My thoughts and sympathies are with his family and friends

R.I.P

I certainly think that perhaps a minute applause/silence would be fitting, especially on top of an idea posted by others to do an event in his honour.

One idea is this...

A 'Highland March' style walk to ICT's first home league match of the season. Obviously we have no fixtures list to go by, so my idea is to walk from Glenhinnisdal, near Uig on Skye, where he and his father lived. Walk accross Skye to Kyleakin and across that silly bridge thing. Head East to pick up Glen Affrick and head to Cannick. From there it's through Glen Urquart to Drumnadrochit to pick up the Great Glen Way to Inverness.

The total distance will be around 125 miles and will be a fitting tribute to Peter.

It would be great to have a good few people doing it, not only to respect Peter and his efforts, but to raise as much money as possible for OCD Action - the charity Peter was doing this for. I fear that doing it alone (or with very few) would draw attention away from Peter's honour and more toward those doing it... if that makes sense.

One way around that would be to get a load of us to walk 'en mass' from where the great glen way meets the Caledonian Canel near Bught Park. That'll be about 4-5 miles to the stadium.

As you all know, I am more into longer distances and am willing to look into the original idea of Skye to Stadium, but perhaps a shorter walk would be ideal for all.

Dressing up can be optional, but I think everyone should wear a bonnet and scalf as another mark of respect. regardless of the weather that day...

One way around that would be to get a load of us to walk 'en mass' from where the great glen way meets the Caledonian Canel near Bught Park. That'll be about 4-5 miles to the stadium.

As you all know, I am more into longer distances and am willing to look into the original idea of Skye to Stadium, but perhaps a shorter walk would be ideal for all.

Dressing up can be optional, but I think everyone should wear a bonnet and scalf as another mark of respect. regardless of the weather that day...

This is a cracking idea and I think this would be a brilliant tribute to him.

A 'Highland March' style walk to ICT's first home league match of the season. Obviously we have no fixtures list to go by, so my idea is to walk from Glenhinnisdal, near Uig on Skye, where he and his father lived. Walk accross Skye to Kyleakin and across that silly bridge thing. Head East to pick up Glen Affrick and head to Cannick. From there it's through Glen Urquart to Drumnadrochit to pick up the Great Glen Way to Inverness.

The total distance will be around 125 miles and will be a fitting tribute to Peter.

I'd certainly be up for the Skye leg of the walk and the whole thing depending on how work pans out. It's such a good idea, and fitting tribute to a man who achieved some amazing goals.

The issues we have with the longer walk are predominently time and distance.

a 125+ mile route would need at least 5-7 days to complete, and with the new season quite close and no fixture list yet, it'll be difficult for anyone to secure time off work - especially as most people's colleagues will be off holidaying somewhere. But like I said, I am still willing to look into it.

The issues we have / could have with the shorter walk is the council and police. I remember when we tried to organise the walk to Dingwall, there were many health and safety issues raised. What I will do, however, is persue this one in more depth over the weekend when I am off.

I have started a new thread regarding the event, to keep people up to date and to not detract people away from tributes to Peter