Fond memories from South Africa.

Guest alanb

Hi from Margate South Africa. I am Alan Butterworth and was born in Inverness in 1955 and then taken out to various African countries as a young lad. My father Dougie Butterworth was in the Merchant Marine and loved travelling. My mother Elizabeth Young was from 43 Laurel Avenue. Dougie was living at Macewan Drive. My two grandfathers were well known in Inverness. Tommy Young played soccer for Ross County and Caley and I believe Aberdeen. He was an old soldier with the Camerons and Black Watch. Harold "BUD" Butterworth was a Canadian who was wounded at the Somme and on recovering in Inverness fell in love with my grandmother and never left. He ended up as the manager of a garage in Greig Street. I have vivid memories of visiting Inverness throughout my childhood. I went to the Academy for a year in 1970 and spent 6 months working at Raigmore in 1979 after finishing my own military service in the then Rhodesia. My Uncle Harold Butterworth was killed in 1942 and to this day his name can be seen on the Island Bank Memorial, the Academy Honours Board and a church near the old Academy school site.

Would love to hear from anyone who touched our lives throughout this saga.

Alan Butterworth

Hamba Kahle.

Alan,

My family lived at 49 Laurel Avenue from 1949 - 1980s. Drop me a line via my website www.alexmabon.co.uk and I'll send you a free, gratis and for nothing copy of the Ferry books. These should help to stimulate the nostalgia buds.  If you have not been on the ICT website before you will find that from November - February the nostalgia really flows as we all try to outdo each other on our fondest memory of old Inverness. I left Inverness in 1957 and now live in Kent. Sandy (Alex) Mabon

Alex-thanks for the interesting reply . I have contacted you via your site.

Charles-we keep bumping into each other. What a small world Mr. Gates has created. Summer starting in SA so life OK. Thanks for the interest again. Hope the IRA(the legal one) is going well.

Cheers

Alan Butterworth

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Alanb, when was Tommy in the Camerons?

Boy that is testing my memory. Probably WW1 or so. Maybe in the 1920's. Tough old guy. Fond memories of him. My Uncle Tommy Young is still in Inverness at 5 Culcabok Avenue. He would know more.

Cheers

alanb