Travelling People

MrsICTFC

So I was reading this article - http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/fu...p_moves_on.html

What do you think? Personally I think it's ridiculous that it could be classed as discrimination for making them move. Has the council gone nuts? What if they decided not to move? I think the world has gone mad and personally the council have their priorities wrong.

I think someone's looking to be offended. Let's see what happened with direct quotes:

"There has been no trouble"

"the police spoke to them on Sunday morning and at that point the travellers indicated they would be leaving"

"they had stopped to deal with a mechanical problem with one of their vehicles"

"We are waiting on it being fixed and then we are going to move on to Thurso"

"TRAVELLERS who occupied the car park of a city secondary school over the weekend moved on yesterday afternoon"

Storm in a teacup.

I think someone's looking to be offended. Let's see what happened with direct quotes:

"There has been no trouble"

"the police spoke to them on Sunday morning and at that point the travellers indicated they would be leaving"

"they had stopped to deal with a mechanical problem with one of their vehicles"

"We are waiting on it being fixed and then we are going to move on to Thurso"

"TRAVELLERS who occupied the car park of a city secondary school over the weekend moved on yesterday afternoon"

Storm in a teacup.

I'll remember that next time I park my car illegally 'sorry officer it wont start', IMO no excuse for the whole lot of them to be there.

Storm in a teacup.

I'll remember that next time I park my car illegally 'sorry officer it wont start', IMO no excuse for the whole lot of them to be there.

They were not breaking any laws. Starchief has said it all really, much ado about nothing.

Intolerance of other cultures leads to conflict, which is why the authorities have learned to take the best course of action. Mahonio's problem now though.

Is slagging gypo's a racist thing?

Travelling folk are called that for a reason, they travel about a lot, there is a specific place for them to stay on stadium road, but they choose to ignore it and camp anywhere they want.

Now i dont know if they pay income tax / rates or anything, but i'm sure they collect benefits of sorts, and they always seem to have 4x4's and nice big caravans so they seem to do ok and live they way they do because its what they want.

Its only a problem when the travellers park where thay can be seen by house residents/motorists/cyclists etc etc, if you cant see them its not a problem is it!

Yes

Travelling folk are called that for a reason, they travel about a lot, there is a specific place for them to stay on stadium road, but they choose to ignore it and camp anywhere they want.

The Longman site is at capacity and has been for years.

Now i dont know if they pay income tax / rates or anything, but i'm sure they collect benefits of sorts, and they always seem to have 4x4's and nice big caravans so they seem to do ok and live they way they do because its what they want.

I know nothing about them so in time honoured tradition I will speculate to try and make them look like they
are sponging off the state while contributing nothing.[/codebox]

Its only a problem when the travellers park where thay can be seen by house residents/motorists/cyclists etc etc, if you cant see them its not a problem is it!

It only becomes a problem when peoples prejudices make it a problem.

Edited by PullMyFinger

Yes

I know nothing about them so in time honoured tradition I will speculate to try and make them look like they

Nice to see some people on here are sensible and tolerant citizens. To the other's I'd ask do you know the background and ancestry of your friend's, neighbours or even family because there are many Gypsy Travellers living in ordinary houses, in ordinary estates, doing ordinary jobs and partaking in ordinary pastimes.

Many many Gypsy Travellers work hard, earn their living honestly, do not claim benefits and pay their taxes. They choose to travel to maintain a long standing tradition. Usually they travel in the summer months and park up in sites such as the Longman one ar go back to their brick and mortar homes in our towns and cities.

They find it becoming increasingly more difficult to find places to park up when they're on the road as all the traditional sites have been closed of to them.

These travellers have been tarnished by a 70's group of lazy, dole claiming, drug taking, soap dodging asses who called themselves new age travellers. The traditional traveller sites were closed of to those people and the bona fide traveller suffered by this. To this day many in our society cannot see the difference and make the wrong assumptions about the people who just want to follow their tradition without bias or conflict.

[

Having seen various documentaries over the years in which the subject of paying tax has been directly raised, the only responses I've seen were "Never heard of it", "Nobody's ever asked us to pay tax" etc.

I know that doesn't mean they are all tax dodging spongers, but the fact is that the average person working for cash with little record keeping is quite likely to pay less tax than they should (travellers or not).

[

Having seen various documentaries over the years in which the subject of paying tax has been directly raised, the only responses I've seen were "Never heard of it", "Nobody's ever asked us to pay tax" etc.

I know that doesn't mean they are all tax dodging spongers, but the fact is that the average person working for cash with little record keeping is quite likely to pay less tax than they should (travellers or not).

And the biggest tax dodgers of all are the self-employed, tory voting, earning upwards of ?100k, society loving, law abiding, Gypsy hating members of our society.

I personally think it's like any other group of people in that a small minority give the others a bad name and unfortunately they all get tarred with the same brush. I say good luck to them. I wish I could get away with not paying council tax. :023:

Yes

I kind of resent your implication that i have predudices against travelling folk, i say that i dont know how they achieve their income, and like other families are due benefits.

I said that they choose there way of life and it does not bother me one bit as long as they comply with the laws of the land - which they dont always do.

I dont know where your information comes from that the site at the longman is always full, i assume you are guessing to make your statement more credible.

Can you say that the travellers pay tax/ rates with any accuracy - again more assumptions.

You come across as a young oppionated tree hugger that revels in the opportunity to jump down that throat of anyone with a different view on yours.

Quite a balanced argument this well done, I was expecting loads of comments along the lines of mrsictfc posts. incidentally she does not come accross as racist although a bit snobby and NIMBY.

Longman is full has been for some time now, I have a friend who works there. Every society has their share of tax evaders, benefit fraudsters, theives and drunks or druggies. Equally every society has loving families, people who would never do ill by you and people who will toil from dawn to dusk.

It is a big society and we should try to see past stereotypes, otherwise were all haggis munching teuchters who drink too much whisky and fornicate with farm animals.

Lastly imagine how you would survive if you were suddenly forced to live out of a caravan (I'm not saying thats what happened) with no electricity, no water, no phone, no weekly rubbish collection. Some would survive well and not trouble another soul and some would be setting up on the outskirts of towns so that there families could use the services that that town offers.

I kind of resent your implication that i have predudices against travelling folk

Your affrontery is duly noted.

How does having an "oppion" make me a tree hugger?

Oh, and young? Thanks. :023:

It would be interesting to see if peoples opinions change when they park their caravans on your doorsteps and things start to go missing from your garage.

I agree with Mrs ICT, look at the farce last year when they took over the walkway at the Smithton roundabout and the council would/could not move them along. If a sign states you are not allowed to park overnight etc, why are they allowed to do this? Pity the travelling people; not likely they are laughing at us stereotypes.

They appear to have more rights than honest law abiding citizens in my opinion and are over protected instead of asked to pay their way in society like the rest of us.

Quite a balanced argument this well done

It's not like they're travellers are English, is it? :023:

Yes, because we English couldn't make a constructive, balanced argument to save our lives, right?

Is that better for you?

Oh and....man_landing_fish.jpg

It would be interesting to see if peoples opinions change when they park their caravans on your doorsteps and things start to go missing from your garage.

I agree with Mrs ICT, look at the farce last year when they took over the walkway at the Smithton roundabout and the council would/could not move them along. If a sign states you are not allowed to park overnight etc, why are they allowed to do this? Pity the travelling people; not likely they are laughing at us stereotypes.

They appear to have more rights than honest law abiding citizens in my opinion and are over protected instead of asked to pay their way in society like the rest of us.

If we don't provide enough pitches at designated sites what are they to do?

There have been travelling people for centuries but because they do not conform to our society they are discriminated against and because of this they do not trust our society. IMHO they are right. You talk of stereotypes but imply that when caravans appear your possessions disappear.

We all have positive qualities and some faults. The sooner we all acknowledge each others positive qualities and recognise our own faults then the sooner we will have a balanced society.

It's like anything though, you only hear about the bad things they do. Therefore you have a negative outlook in regards to them. You don't hear about the group that set up, enjoyed themselves, tidied up and left because there is no reason to but the group that turn up, cause chaos, leave the place a mess and disappear with most of your garage contents. Now that's different. So this is why we stereotype. It's wrong but quite normal.

Yes, because we English couldn't make a constructive, balanced argument to save our lives, right?

It's like anything though, you only hear about the bad things they do. Therefore you have a negative outlook in regards to them. You don't hear about the group that set up, enjoyed themselves, tidied up and left because there is no reason to but the group that turn up, cause chaos, leave the place a mess and disappear with most of your garage contents. Now that's different. So this is why we stereotype. It's wrong but quite normal.

Well said, but just because it's normal doesn't mean we should accept it here or anywhere else.

Quite a balanced argument this well done, I was expecting loads of comments along the lines of mrsictfc posts. incidentally she does not come accross as racist although a bit snobby and NIMBY.

I am not a snob :rolleyes: nor am I a racist.

I am not saying they shouldn't do what they do, what I am saying is they should have set boundaries and not park in school grounds regardless of their reasons. Regardless of what you all say there does seem to be a feeling that because this is a lifestyle choice they can get away with things that other people cannot.

I am not a snob :P nor am I a racist.

I am not saying they shouldn't do what they do, what I am saying is they should have set boundaries and not park in school grounds regardless of their reasons. Regardless of what you all say there does seem to be a feeling that because this is a lifestyle choice they can get away with things that other people cannot.

Where would you suggest they set the boundaries? There's is not a lifestyle choice. There's is a way of life. A tradition going back hundreds of years. Is their way the wrong way and yours the right? If those people made your lifestyle choices and chose to move into the house next door to yours would you think any differently of them?

Edited by Alex MacLeod