Dillingers...who will admit?

Action Man

Signed for their Amateur team circa 1988 purely as signing terms was free entry into Dillies.... Sunday friendlies were particularly poor performance wise...  :017: although we were a dedicated team in the pre match build up ... :021:

i frequented dillingers most wekends,when i stayed in inverness,gatsbys and the pub above where intersport/carphone warehouse)is was also a fav haunt

I think that was the Carlton Blackie.. and Leisuropa was the Sports shop before Intersport... I'm certain it was... used to have Subbuteo in the window... A set of 1978 World Cup style goals set me back £1 ... or 2 weeks pocket money..

And before Leisuropa it was MacPherson's Sporting Stores! The Carlton was a strange mix. I remember when I was small it was a cafe/ restaurant and my mum used to take me in there if she was after a cup of tea in the town. The place used to be full of tweedy wifies and the waitresses used to wear those old fashioned black uniforms with starched white aprons and hats.

Then it became a bar some time in the 60s and it was a notorious under age drinking den. In fact I may well have had my first illicit pint in there.

thats it the carlton yes was pretty rough but that or gatsbys was nearest so my locals,not far to stagger,where in badenoch does ur son stay atholl?

Kingussie Blackie... my Mother was born in Strathmashie nr Laggan so her allegiences are with the Blue and White Hoops .. my son is very staunch Kingussie... I'm er .. stuck in the middle... :023:

Kingussie Blackie... my Mother was born in Strathmashie nr Laggan so her allegiences are with the Blue and White Hoops .. my son is very staunch Kingussie... I'm er .. stuck in the middle... :023:
i stay in aviemore,but for my sins worked in kingussie about 6-7 years ago

• 1 month later...

I rmember my mum going on about her days in dillies and my aunties oh god sares me when then they go about it and the best it is they say their behaviour was mild compaered to what we do these days .......... the cheek of it .... oh and who ever mentioned sticky carpets g's still has a sticky carpet and Bakoo is going that way too.!!!!!!

I was only ever in Dillingers as an underager - like most of the clientele!

Re the Carlton, great venue, and this was the best night out ever in Sneck  :003: :003: :003:

swamptrashwee.jpg

Swamptrash - Wasn't that one o' them thar yee haaar blue grass bands way back in the 80's?

I remember going to see a lesser known band of that type called Kith and Kin somewhere in the north west Highlands and they were absolutely brilliant!

And to keep it on topic, I was thrown out of Dillingers once.

:024:

Twice, come to think of it!

I remember them - after both Swamptrash and the Critterhill Varmints split up, Hex and Kith & Kin were born. The fiddler, Ben, ended up in the Peatbogs for a while, not sure what he's doing now. I'd forgotten about them until now as not only were they lesser known but they weren't as good!

But if we're changing the subject to obscure bluegrass bands, anyone see the Buttermountain Boys play at one of the last gigs in the Hayloft? I fell off the dancefloor and had to be taken home in a shopping trolley. Ah those were the days......  :015:

Guest MMACKENZ12

Well that was my first nightclub way back in 1993 when I was 15 lol - I think Dillingers closed not long after that, then Whispers opened up, I also remember going to Haydens and the Hayloft vaguely and the old Barbarouskies lol

God i feel old now ha ha

Did anyone go to the reuinion of Dillingers a few years back in Barabazza, maybe we should hold another one lol