the Open

tm4tj

Well, can Rory keep it going. Fantastic start from the youngster.

horror show today, easily done when you have the weather to contend with. Gusts of 15-25mph forecast for tomorrow and sunday so thats not gonna help anybody

Young Rory not completely blown away though, 4 under for today through fifteen holes, that's a great comeback after yesterdays disasterous round in the wind.

I reckon it'll be Henrik Stenson....

Fanny's doing a great job keeping his balls clean.

Ach,yer sooooo predictable JB, anyways, eh heard Fanny was bagging for Bernard Langer and it got serious but she cut it short when she realised it could make her Fanny Langher

great viewing as ever at the open, Rory's up an doons are doing meh napper in but some unbelievable golf in thon wind,Casey lookin good in current form , roll on the morn :015:

you feenished that whiskey yet JB??

Ach,yer sooooo predictable JB, anyways, eh heard Fanny was bagging for Bernard Langer and it got serious but she cut it short when she realised it could make her Fanny Langher

you feenished that whiskey yet JB??

Better than making her Fanny Singh, I suppose...

The whisky lasted less than 24 hours. Did you put some water in it?

I tried to bet you another bottle than Andy Murray would beat Nadal and reach the final at Wimbledon.

Fortunately you weren't around to take me up on it... :015:

I've decided that some unknown South African will probably win tomorrow....

Do you want to put a bottle of GF on Casey?

I've decided that some unknown South African will probably win tomorrow....

Do you want to put a bottle of GF on Casey?

If ya give me any winner bar Oosthuizen yer on ,(thats a minimum 4 shot lead!!) let me ken before 9 am

Edited by Heilandee

Oh well, that's hour after hour of reverential whispering over again for another year. Maybe one of the broadcasting organisations could liven it up by adopting a sort of "Open All Mics" type commentary.

"HOOOOOOLE at the 15th!!!!"

Can't say I'm a great fan of these "long trousers" sports like darts and snooker and golf where fat people can become millionaires.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Careful Mr. B. - bit of a 'fattist' remark there.

You could be crucified for that slightly anti fat-b*****d comment!

Perhaps I should have used the term "obese" which seems to be a bit more acceptable to the PC lobby. I am merely making the point that I find it extremely unjust that people with unacceptably high Body Mass Indices can make large sums of money from activities defined as "sport" (I suppose Sumo Wrestling would have to be included here.) As such they are also being projected as extremely poor fitness role models at a time when this issue is very high on the social agenda.

Come to your own conclusion as to whether a certain golfer is very high on my "hit list" here.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

My warning was of course light-hearted but when you mention these athletes of very high body mass index, I wonder if these heavyweights doing the rounds of Highland Games at this time of year fit into this category - after all some of them are pretty heavy for their relative height, and isn't muscle heavier than fat? Shot-putters too, as an example.

I am merely making the point that I find it extremely unjust that people with unacceptably high Body Mass Indices can make large sums of money from activities defined as "sport" (I suppose Sumo Wrestling would have to be included here.) As such they are also being projected as extremely poor fitness role models at a time when this issue is very high on the social agenda.

Come to your own conclusion as to whether a certain golfer is very high on my "hit list" here.

You obviuosly have a wee isssue with Monty, Charles,(who doesn't?), but dissapointing you chose to castigate the whole golf world where it is the skill level that brings the massive rewards and yes, less athletic figures can make the top if they have the stamina and mental toughness required,but in the main, most top golfers are very professional,fit and athletic. As for poor fitness role models and the social agenda,try keeping up with the drinking culture of many "professional" footballers and other "short trousered" sportsmen. :008:

Edited by Heilandee

Oh well, that's hour after hour of reverential whispering over again for another year. Maybe one of the broadcasting organisations could liven it up by adopting a sort of "Open All Mics" type commentary.

"HOOOOOOLE at the 15th!!!!"

Can't say I'm a great fan of these "long trousers" sports like darts and snooker and golf where fat people can become millionaires.

Speaking as a "fat person", I am grateful for sports such as snooker(and pool) darts and domino's. I feel its very unfair that skinny fit people should be allowed to win all the money in sport. What will the skinny fit people do with their money? Save it, spend it on nice big houses with exersise machines, have big kitchens to make salads in etc. At least a fat person will live life to the full, drink, eat out at nice restaurants, buy bigger clothes, keeping clothing businesses busy.

As for the word "obese". Not a fan. I,m a fat ******* and thats the way I prefer to be called out to in a busy bar. Doesn't sound the same, " Oi morbidly obese illigitimate person" :008:

You obviuosly have a wee isssue with Monty, Charles,(who doesn't?), but dissapointing you chose to castigate the whole golf world where it is the skill level that brings the massive rewards and yes, less athletic figures can make the top if they have the stamina and mental toughness required,but in the main, most top golfers are very professional,fit and athletic. As for poor fitness role models and the social agenda,try keeping up with the drinking culture of many "professional" footballers and other "short trousered" sportsmen. :008:

BMI issues aside, the prospect of endless Ryder Cup, eh Ryder, Ryder Cup interviews with, with, you know, with ehhh with Monty, with eh you know Monty is a truly horrible, eh horr, I mean I mean horrible prospect!

Sunday was as dull as dishwater. After an hour or so of the final group going out Oosterwho'she probably realised he could've putted his way round the back 9 such was the lack of challenge.

Maybe the players' 'obesity' would be sorted if they carried their own bags...

It ended up as a breeze for Oosty.

Charles your comments regarding the athletically challenged are a tad narrow minded and wearing thin. You have a go at these sports every time they are on. Maybe the plumper sportspersons deplore the adonis athletic ones.

Great idea Charles!!

Maybe replace Peter Allis or Ken Brown with one of your more enlightened broadcasting colleagues - Chic Young perhaps?

Raising the standards - that's what it's all about.

[You obviuosly have a wee isssue with Monty, Charles,(who doesn't)

Yes indeed I do! It seriously sticks in my throat that anyone with a body form like that should be capable of becoming a millionaire in any activity defined as "sport". Worse still, there is then the absurdity of this man being made captain of the GB and Europe team in one of the world's highest profile sporting events. Especially in an era where society is making serious efforts to eliminate obesity, this is a high profile role model which we most definitely could do without.

Mind you, at least if golf comentary went on to the Open All Mics format, Montgomerie might start to get the much deserved Mark Yardley treatment! :lol:

Charles your comments regarding the athletically challenged are a tad narrow minded and wearing thin. You have a go at these sports every time they are on.

I agree with you tm4tj. I feel CB's antipathy towards golf and other similar sports, although no doubt made with tongue in cheek, just a little bit OTT. At least golfers don't generally act like most overpaid footballers who seem to have lost all credibility by their endless cheating antics. ( appealing for penalties, getting opponents sent off etc etc).

Re Monty, he would not have been my first choice as Ryder Cup Captain. But his sporting prowess is sound (european order of merit winner 8 times), and at least he can string a sentence or two together unlike most footballers, and indeed unlike his predecessor as Ryder Cup captain, Sir Nick, who I thought was a complete disaster as captain.

It seriously sticks in my throat that anyone with a body form like that should be capable of becoming a millionaire in any activity defined as "sport". Worse still, there is then the absurdity of this man being made captain of the GB and Europe team in one of the world's highest profile sporting events. Especially in an era where society is making serious efforts to eliminate obesity, this is a high profile role model which we most definitely could do without.

Sorry Charles , i really dont get it. I dislike him because he's obnoxious, arrogant and generally objectionable character,but his pedigree competing against the fittest and leanest in the world (whilst carrying a few extra stone as an added handicap) is beyond question.As captain of the Ryder cup team i reckon he'll struggle to gain the respect of his team because of his attitude but not his weight,but as in all SPORTS results count and time will tell.

One of the great things about golf is not just that it can be played well by folk who weigh a tad more than they should, but it can also be played very well by folk who who are even older than Charles and me. Different sports need different aspects to excell at and whilst a level of physical fitness and strength help in golf, the main attributes are the ability to strike a ball, good judgement, fine control in putting etc. It is a complex range of skills and for that reason, for me, is far more compelling to play and watch than sports which rely on one specific attribute such as strength or speed.

One of the joys of sport is that different sports require different skills or combinations of skills to excell and whilst we will all have our favourites. People makes sheds loads of money in particular sports due to a combination of 2 factors. Firstly lots of people enjoy watching the sport and secondly, they are very good at what they do.

My message to fat b*****rds who win lots of money in their chosen sport is "good on yer!"

And as for Monty, I'm with Heilandee. He's a golfer. He plays golf and he plays it (or played it) very well. As long as he abides by the rules and etiquette of the game then I really don't think it matters how objectionable or miserable he may be when he's not on the course. Majors apart, he has a fantastic record and is one of the all time great players. Respect.