new site

Who's paying for it? ie. Where are the ads?

Sorry to disappoint, but that is one of the tweaks I will be getting around to ..... enjoy it while it lasts ... once the ads go back up you can always subscribe as a sponsor if you want rid of them ;)

Now I can see the new posts by clicking on "view New Content" button that's one of my main concerns solved. But when you finish reading a thread then I find there is no back button to quickly get me back to the othjer threads so all I do is click on the "View New Content" again to achieve that. Is that the long way round Scotty or is there a built-in shortcut so that I can get to the threads to select the next unread (i.e for me)thread that I want to look at?

Secondly we used to be able to delete all post on all Forums after we had finished getting up to date with unread posts. But it appears that there is no similar button now to do this. Is this intentional?

I like to start my next day's review of all new posts with a completely fresh set of threads so I like the former site better at this stage. I understand we must wait for you to have time to review all the suggestions coming from posters so maybe you want us just to wait a couple of weeks more now before commenting?

Thirdly I tried to click on "fonts" to see if the font could be changed .Nothing doding so what is the puirpose of that button?

I was completely unable to see the Eagle and I just figured that without binoculat vision that was going to be hard for me. Then I went back threefeet and cocked my head to the right as Mr Eagle cocked his to the left and, Heh Presto!, there he was.

I think it was just an optical delusion on my part. :rolleyes:

Is there a back button you can use after you have read your thread?

think it's excellent tbh. might not be as aestherically pleasing as the last one but definitely more user friendly. Fair play to the canadian and big D
not as aesthetically pleasing ? would be interested to know why ?

I was looking at the site for the first time through my divy computer at work which seemed to squash everything in so don't think that helped but I'm not a fan of the generic arial font in certain bits and when you're posting a message it seems more like data input (same as pie and bovril I know).

Not really worth mentioning.. should have really just gone with "I appreciate the work you have both put in" and left it at that.

Has the news, squad, team info, etc. moved elsewhere or are we still in a state of flux at the moment? :blink:

Top menu now in place. Still some adjustments to do and some pages to add but for now you can get to the main pages from there

I see we've got green and red buttons to build or demolish others posters reputations. Interesting times ahead. :lol: Also the "back to top button" seems to have disappeared from the posts although there is still a link at the bottom of the page.

I see the reputation dots are now working so let the mayhem begin. :lol: I'm worried about how some posters may react to a negative reputation though.

How many can we use a day?

Yes reputation now enabled. 3 positive and 1 negative rep can be given out in a 24 hour period. We will monitor it and if it is done properly (voting up good posts and voting down nonsense) we may increase that number. if we feel its being abused or enabling grudges or some form of cyber bullying we will disable it.

when you finish reading a thread then I find there is no back button to quickly get me back to the othjer threads so all I do is click on the "View New Content" again to achieve that. Is that the long way round Scotty or is there a built-in shortcut so that I can get to the threads to select the next unread (i.e for me)thread that I want to look at?

Nope, thats the way to do it.

we used to be able to delete all post on all Forums after we had finished getting up to date with unread posts. But it appears that there is no similar button now to do this. Is this intentional?

I like to start my next day's review of all new posts with a completely fresh set of threads so I like the former site better at this stage.

On the view new content page where you see the list of threads there is a "mark all as read" link on the right hand side of the red title bar. This will mark all the new threads in that list as read. There is also a "mark board as read" at the bottom of every page on the site. Clicking that will mark the whole site as read too.

One final mention on "new content" is that you can also change what is displayed there by clicking on the MY SETTINGS option beside your profile link at the top right and adjusting it in your control panel. By default it will show you all new posts since your last visit but if you prefer (and you dont clear out all posts by marking them all as read) you can change that to show you all posts you havent read regardless of your last visit ........ (like the old system)

Thirdly I tried to click on "fonts" to see if the font could be changed .Nothing doding so what is the puirpose of that button?

Sorry, I may be having a brain fart after doing all this and tweaking literally hundreds of little settings but which button do you mean ?

I was looking at the site for the first time through my divy computer at work which seemed to squash everything in so don't think that helped but I'm not a fan of the generic arial font in certain bits and when you're posting a message it seems more like data input (same as pie and bovril I know). Not really worth mentioning.. should have really just gone with "I appreciate the work you have both put in" and left it at that.

We never mind constructive criticism and it is always good to hear about things that maybe arent as nice as they could be. I tend to agree with you on the arial font (I like Calibri myself) but it is definitely preferable to something like Times new roman !!! Once we get the main bits and pieces out of the way we can sit back and look at tweaking some of this stuff.

We have also added some generic (unedited other than the logo) templates which you can choose at the bottom of the screen ....... CTO is the default cutom template we are using (red/blue) but we have also added the default template, the default mobile template (great for phones where most smartphones auto-detect it and use it or for low quality connections), and another called cleancut. You can switch back and forth between them with ease via the bottom of the screen. We will also be adding a couple of generic red templates for all those who prefer red and a couple of blue ones for those who prefer blue !!! These will likely be pretty much "off the shelf" template with only minor tweaks. CTO is the template we will tweak the most !

• Agree 2

Have to agree with whoever it was on another thread, who said the previous format was more aesthetically pleasing. The use of such gaudy, bright red and blue colours make it look cheap and nasty to me. I'm now using the default display, which is a bit easier on the eye.

Can't see any meaningful benefits with the new layout. The old one was first class, and to my way of thinking was not broken - did it really need fixing?

How many can we use a day?

Yes reputation now enabled. 3 positive and 1 negative rep can be given out in a 24 hour period.

Aww, wish I'd have read this first. I just tried to give the thumbs up to Ronaldo's excellent suggestion that Richie Foran be made President in addition to Captain, only to be told I'd already used my green-dot quota for the day viannen_06.gif

viannen_27.gif

Can't see any meaningful benefits with the new layout. The old one was first class, and to my way of thinking was not broken - did it really need fixing?

It wasnt a case of needing fixing. As I have already explained, the previous version of the forum software was at "end of life" stage and this means that in a month or two there will no longer be any support, updates or development of it (including security patches). As we pay for all of these things then we simply have to move with the times .... Are you still using Windows NT on a 486 PC ? No ? Why not ? Probably because you moved with the times and upgraded to a machine and operating system that is still supported by its vendor .....

With regards to the "gaudy" colour scheme .... trust me it is extremely difficult to come up with a web safe palette that gives adequate prominence to each of our team's major colours. I think we have done well in that regard but I do notice a few areas where I still need to tweak a few things and that will be done (eventually).

I also realise that we have a wide variation in our userbase and not everyone likes to have the bright 'in your face' colours we have used which is why we allowed the default and clean-cut templates to remain selectable by users and will add a few more 'off the shelf' templates that require minimal adjustments. I am also on the lookout for a template that is perhaps more suitable for those posters with eyesight problems that maybe has bigger text and less clutter ......

With regards to the "gaudy" colour scheme .... trust me it is extremely difficult to come up with a web safe palette that gives adequate prominence to each of our team's major colours. I think we have done well in that regard but I do notice a few areas where I still need to tweak a few things and that will be done (eventually).

On the issue of colour-schemes, I think the different-coloured boxes for each separate quote is an excellent improvement, and as the colours are muted it is all very easy on the eye. Brilliant.

Firstly--I like the brilliant colours. But , just in case they become too bright for the eyes where is/are the templat(s) change button(s) exactly?

Times New Roman is touted for writing novels and emails--that happens to be my preferred font in the outer world.'Cos it's clear and simple, like the Pimple.

Scotty, I am typing this in the Fast Reply box--look upp to the heading and you will see "Other Styles" , Fonts , Sizes.

If you click on "Fonts" then a list of , presumably, available fonts is dispayed. But clicking on any one seems to do nothing so.....hence the question , above. ?

Scotty, I am typing this in the Fast Reply box--look upp to the heading and you will see "Other Styles" , Fonts , Sizes.

If you click on "Fonts" then a list of , presumably, available fonts is dispayed. But clicking on any one seems to do nothing so.....hence the question , above. ?

that is the styling for your individual post .... and it works just like word. it is not for choosing a font for the entire board.

I have the IPB App but i am confused what to put in the Title and URL boxes.

Can anyone help?

Title = Whatever you want eg. CaleyThistleOnline

URL = http://community.caleythistleonline.com

User = your login name here

Password = your login password

it should take a minute or so to connect and do whatever it does internally but then you should see an entry for the forum. You can also add additional boards such as P&B or anyone else who uses IPB V3.0 or above

Scotty

On the Player Sponsorship thread the 'Buy Now' link seems to have disappeared!

Can you reinstate please.

Many thanks

Guzz

Otherwise I'm finding my way around gradually.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by Guzz