Foran captain

caley100

Dalneighcaley, would you change your view on this matter if you thought that part of the deal which persuaded Foran to stay at TCS, and consequently may have persuaded the like of Hayes, Esson and Sanchez to extend their contracts, was to give Foran the captaincy?

Dalneighcaley, would you change your view on this matter if you thought that part of the deal which persuaded Foran to stay at TCS, and consequently may have persuaded the like of Hayes, Esson and Sanchez to extend their contracts, was to give Foran the captaincy?

Are you seriously suggesting Hayes, Esson, Sanchez and Foran would have moved on if he (Foran) hadn't been made captain?

No I am suggesting that giving Foran the Captaincy might have been a deciding factor in getting Foran to stay. It was leaked back in May just after he had signed his extension that he would be captain next season, the official announcement only coming yesterday. I also believe that Foran staying may well have been a considerable leverage in getting others to stay also, in fact I recall Terry Butcher mentioning something similar in press releases just after Hayes extended.

Great decision. It's clear who the leader on the pitch was last season. Foran was constantly encouraging, and haranguing those around him, and was a real leader.

No offence to Grant, but he was never a great captain, and I felt his game declined when he was given the added responsibility. Hopefully, he'll now be back to his best.

Anyway, as someone else pointed out....it's just an armband.

No I am suggesting that giving Foran the Captaincy might have been a deciding factor in getting Foran to stay. It was leaked back in May just after he had signed his extension that he would be captain next season, the official announcement only coming yesterday. I also believe that Foran staying may well have been a considerable leverage in getting others to stay also, in fact I recall Terry Butcher mentioning something similar in press releases just after Hayes extended.

Spot on.

From a cynical perspective it could mean a pay rise and a rise in the decision making process required to keep Foran at the club. I have heard that Granty may actually have asked to be relieved of the captaincy - It didnt really show last season but it did in the SPL. It will allow him to concentrate on marshalling the defence and it may give him the extra "freedom" to perform at a higher level.

Whilst I believe that Grant Munro is a good centre-back and has been a great stalwart for the club, he has never been a captain. Unlike former and fan favourite captains such as Darren Dods and Bobby Mann, he doesn't seem to possess the same qualities that these two had in relation to being the captain of this football club. He doesn't seem to have the same presence on the field nor the willingness to be vocal to his team mates. Richie Foran on the other hand, does seem to possess these qualities, and I believe that he will show to be a good captain next season and hopefully for a number of seasons to come.

• Agree 2

Whilst I believe that Grant Munro is a good centre-back and has been a great stalwart for the club, he has never been a captain. Unlike former and fan favourite captains such as Darren Dods and Bobby Mann, he doesn't seem to possess the same qualities that these two had in relation to being the captain of this football club. He doesn't seem to have the same presence on the field nor the willingness to be vocal to his team mates. Richie Foran on the other hand, does seem to possess these qualities, and I believe that he will show to be a good captain next season and hopefully for a number of seasons to come.

As been suggested by a few others this was a decision made last season, although it might not have been described as permanent. Terry, if you look back at the final 3 games I think did indeed make Richie Foran club captain, and it was announced. As suggested it would have been discussed between the players and management, and has anyone seen any less commitment from Grant since. Has he also not talked up signing an extension to his contract, no the words of someone too unhappy. Grant might actually feel a weight off his shoulders with this, and give him time to concentrate on his new central defensive partnership with Rossco. Will be proven to be a wise move I think

lets not turn this into a Munro bashing thread. There are different types of captain, the typical shout-at-anything-that-moves-Roy Keane-esq captain, and there are others that lead by example because of their professionalism on and off the park. Munro might not have been the sort to bark orders at people but no one can say the way he conducts himself is anything but exemplary. As far as representation and promotion of the club Grant did a terrific job and there is not a player a more dedicated to the ICT cause

Munro lead us back to the SPL last season, best example was his goal against QoS which basically clinched the title for us. If anyone was at that game they would have seen how much it meant to the guy.

Hopefully Foran is as good an appointment as we all think he should be but he has a lot to live up to IMO.

Edited by Harry Chibber
  • Agree 7
  • Disagree 1

Perhaps someone could direct me to where this appointment has been made official. The newspapers speculate but Terry refuses to comment on the issue.

In my opinion, and as Harry says, Grant was a very good captain foor us. there's more to the role than being a loudmouth on the pitch.

The newspapers speculate but Terry refuses to comment on the issue.

Which is quite interesting in itself. He would surely just deny it if its not true. Why not just make the appointment so that players can get used to playing under whoever the captain is going to be this season? Is he having second thoughts? Or has he made the decision to appoint Foran but hasn't yet informed the players? Or is there a chance Foran be leaving?

The decision was made a while ago, so it won't be an issue with the players thats stopping him from confirming. Doubt that he would be having second thoughts.

Why would Foran leave? He has just signed an extension, is the captain of the team and has said that he wants to stay for as long as possible, and that Inverness would be a good place to end his career.

I think it could just be that it is a bit of a tricky subject, and Butcher wouldn't want to offend Munro by publicly stating why he is no longer captain.

Good choice to appoint Foran if true. No denying that Grant was best choice at the time but how many of the former squad still remain.. Tokeley, Duncan, MacBean... Can't think of any others. Completely different set of players now, and maybe some with better qualities to be captain. Foran has been immense, a workhorse and always encouraging and motivating on the pitch. Good luck to him.

• Agree 1

Its the managers right to choose who he wants for captain and I can see Foran as being a very good choice. Grant must also know, and maybe even requested, that he's no longer the captain so why all the hush hush. Surely its in the interests of everyone that this appointment is made public and all concerned can then get on with doing their jobs.

Its the managers right to choose who he wants for captain and I can see Foran as being a very good choice. Grant must also know, and maybe even requested, that he's no longer the captain so why all the hush hush. Surely its in the interests of everyone that this appointment is made public and all concerned can then get on with doing their jobs.

did anyone else notice that munro didnt wear a captins armband at home last season? i remeber him throwing it off in the last spl game v falkirk...