Kenny Gillet

caley1980

Barnet Mad looks back on Kenny's time at Underhill:

Kenny Gillet, Barnet?s French full back, has turned down an offer of an improved contract from manager, Mark Stimson. This will come as a great disappointment to many Barnet fans as Gillet was a very popular player at Underhill.

Gillet joined Barnet in August 2007 from French club, Caen and, having missed the first four matches of the season, quickly became a first team regular at the club. An injury picked up at Chesterfield meant that Kenny missed the next nine matches but he came back for the FA Cup tie with Gillingham and it was his fine cross that was fired home by Liam Hatch to give the Bees a 2-1 win against a League One club. Gillet was a regular throughout Barnet?s FA Cup run to the 4th round for the second successive season before losing 1-0 to Bristol Rovers at Underhill and even moved over to the centre back position in the Boxing Day match at Underhill against Dagenham & Redbridge.

Gillet made an unfortunate start to the 2008/09 season being sent off in the 1st round of the Carling Cup against Brighton, having scored his first goal for the club in the pre-season friendly against Arsenal, a finely hit free kick from outside the penalty area. Gillet returned to the side after suspension in a side that was struggling to gain many points. A second sending off at Accrington in January lead to new manager, Ian Hendon bringing in Colchester left back, Matt Lockwood on loan and Gillet was banished to the bench. Lockwood played his part in Barnet?s surge up the table away from the relegation zone and Gillet only returned to the side after Lockwood returned to Colchester in April.

Gillet started last season as regular left back but an injury sustained in the home match with Morecambe brought in new signing Ahmed Deen and Gillet could count himself a bit fortunate to get back into the side on his return as Deen had played his part in a five match winning streak.

As Barnet?s from began to slump after a promising start, Hendon again brought in Lockwood, ironically for the away match at Morecambe and for the rest of the season, Gillet was either on the bench or filling in at centre back, where, it has to be said he looked very comfortable, displaying a new sense of versatility. Gillet even played on the left side of midfield as well. Gillet may have felt that the club did not have the confidence in him to play him regularly at left back throughout the season.

It was a surprise to many fans when Gillet was released at the end of last season, but, following new manager, mark Stimson?s offer of a new contract, it seemed that Kenny was going to stay on at Underhill but it is not meant to be. I?m sure that all barnet fans will wish Kenny all the best for the future.

• Agree 2

http://www.dailyreco...86908-22449249/

Link to Kenny Gillet signing....

Inverness bolster squad ahead of SPL kick-off by snapping up French stopper Kenny Gillet

Jul 29 2010

FRENCH defender Kenny Gillet has joined Inverness after a successful trial with the Highland club.

Gillet, 24, spent the last three years with Barnet where he made 89 starts.

He left this summer after a contract dispute and turned down an improved offer from the club's new manager Mark Stimson.

Inverness manager Terry Butcher said: "Kenny has impressed us. He's still young but has good experience and gives us the left-side balance and competition we've looked for."

Bordeaux-born Gillet, primarily a left-back, played at Caen before heading to the United Kingdom.

post-4542-029770900 1280414245_thumb.jpg

Edited by ICTPAISLEY

Good to see we have the left area sorted now.

Sounds like this boy has a good pedigree, looking forward to seeing him in action.

Welcome to Scotland Kenny.

Lets hope he's better than our last frenchman, Lionel...

According to his wiki page he is 5"10 which is making me think he might have decent pace and from the photo he looks like he has the build for it and is he much bigger than golly?

Motherwell unearthed Giles Coke and Chris Humphrey from league 2 so i'am fairly confident Gillet can do as well as them.

This.

We've signed players from the Highland League who have made the step up. Why should Gillet be any different? I'm happy with this signing because it looks like he was a fairly regular player for Barnet and they seemed keen to try and get him back. Plus it's an area that a lot of people have commented could do with strengthening. No disrespect to Golly but I wonder how much longer he can keep going. A wee bit of competition at the LB berth will be good.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

We also got beat by a team (Fleetwood) who last season were playing two leagues below Barnet in league two so i wouldnt write him off just yet.

There are gems to be found in League 1/2, hopefully Terry has found one here

Edited by Libero

Hayes, Odhiambo and Rooney were all playing in the lower leagues on loan from their respective clubs before the moves to ICT and with very little experience at that.

This boy has played 89 games in a league that's maybe not great on a footballing level but very competitive.

• Agree 1

Hayes, Odhiambo and Rooney were all playing in the lower leagues on loan from their respective clubs before the moves to ICT and with very little experience at that.

This boy has played 89 games in a league that's maybe not great on a footballing level but very competitive.

It does make a nice change from signing players who have never played before for their previous clubs or have been injury ridden at all previous clubs.

I doubt he'll be as entertaining to watch as Lionel, but I'm confident he'll be a better defender... I've e-mailed a relative in Barnet to find out what like from a fans' perspective. In footballing terms, the Bumble Bees are probably about as big a club as we are. If we are reaching players in that vicinity, it can only be a good thing. Barnet are pretty well linked with the Gunners.

we should all be reserving judgement until he plays for us. We need a LB so glad the slot has been filled

I agree. But take a look at this video. We may have an interesting weapon for free kicks just outside the penalty area.

http://www.youmake.tv/video?id=8950

great strike! looks even better from the last camera angle, curl and power, not easily done.

If he pops up with a few of those each season i'd be delighted

• Agree 1