Aberdeen FC

BornCaley

Ok so i heard this from Jambo i work with. Apparently ( and this is all hearsay) Aberdeen FC have only a few months to stump up several million pounds in order to keep playing at Pittodrie. Chances are that they dont have the cash to pay off their debts, so may be asked to vacate their stadium. This Jambo has it on 'ok' Authourity that ICT may be asked if Aberdeen can ground share.

As i said its all hearsay and im sure the above is not all the facts, but interesting none the less.

thoughts? Has anyone else heard about this?

BC

• Disagree 1

They certainly have debts, but who's going to ask them to vacate the stadium, and why?

And if they did have to groundshare, the likes of Tannadice and McDiarmid are bigger, better grounds, and are more accessible from Aberdeen.

What does make sense is for them to sell the stadium and relocate to a smaller, purpose built one on cheaper land than their current site.

Since when have Hearts fans been an authority on finance in football (I can't figure out why he picked the Dons though)? I think your friend is deflecting here. Makes a lot more sense to sell Tynie, merge with Hibs and build retirement flats.

Since when have Hearts fans been an authority on finance in football (I can't figure out why he picked the Dons though)? I think your friend is deflecting here. Makes a lot more sense to sell Tynie, merge with Hibs and build retirement flats.

His "source" is a Dons shareholder, so he didnt pick them out randomly...but i agree with the merger idea, im sure they could do a better job than we did

His "source" is a Dons shareholder, so he didnt pick them out randomly...but i agree with the merger idea, im sure they could do a better job than we did

When you join the supporters trust you are technically a shareholder, a director I would be inclined to believe. I believe there are other teams in Scotland in a more precarious position than Aberdeen (who have a shoe in messiah awaiting at Dens).

Looks like they might be groundsharing with Cove Rangers!

See here...

Saw that this morning and in all seriousness it's a good deal for Cove and Aberdeen. Stuart MIlne has been dying to get his grubby mits on the land around Pittodrie. Transport to the new ground will be pish though.

Edited by RiG

Saw that this morning and in all seriousness it's a good deal for Cove and Aberdeen. Stuart MIlne has been dying to get his grubby mits on the land around Pittodrie. Transport to the new ground will be pish though.

I've a funny feeling the AWPR might be going over to Loirston Loch way if you've ever heard of that :_wink:

• Disagree 1

My understanding, from an Aberdonian is that Aberdeens new stadium will back onto Loirston Loch and Coves will be at the other end of this strip of land at the Altons Industrial estate end. About half mile between. The land between will be laid as sports / training grounds. The Cove stadium will initially be 1000 seat but will be designed for expansion if they ever reach the dizzy hieghts and Stuart Milne will make a lot of cash from development of Pittodrie and Cove ground. I believe the plan is that Aberdeen Council will donate the land. The stadiums would be built by Cove and Aberdeen and would then be transferred back to the Council and leased to the clubs.

I may be wrong but my understanding is that AFC own Pittodrie so dont see who can boot them out.

That's funny! A Hearts fan talking about another club going to the wall!! Hearts will be the first established SPL club to go under, and I mean defunct. I'd say within 3-5 years. They are in massive debt, and once Ukio Bankruptus pulls out (not before transferring all the debt back into Hearts) it's curtains. Aberdeen are in debt, until they sell their stadium.

Ok i got mixed up with my initial post. Yes Aberdeen own Pittodrie as i found out this morning. The issue is with a 12m bank loan + interest, which is due to be paid in full by March 2011. They may be forced to sell Pittodrie to pay this back and with the current financial climate they may not get the 12m required. He also mentioned that initial; but unofficial "soundings" have been made by AFC to a few other clubs with the option of ground sharing if they are forced to sell up. He mentioned ICT but i imagine they would choose TCS after other options.

To be honest im not entirely convinced by the whole story. Yes im sure AFC have financial issues, but who doesnt.

If anyone has a HM kickback account, there is a thread with supportive docs on there. I may have a look later if i can be bothered registering

Edited by BornCaley

Ok i got mixed up with my initial post. Yes Aberdeen own Pittodrie as i found out this morning. The issue is with a 12m bank loan + interest, which is due to be paid in full by March 2011. They may be forced to sell Pittodrie to pay this back and with the current financial climate they may not get the 12m required. He also mentioned that initial; but unofficial "soundings" have been made by AFC to a few other clubs with the option of ground sharing if they are forced to sell up. He mentioned ICT but i imagine they would choose TCS after other options.

To be honest im not entirely convinced by the whole story. Yes im sure AFC have financial issues, but who doesnt.

If anyone has a HM kickback account, there is a thread with supportive docs on there. I may have a look later if i can be bothered registering

Officially Pittodrie is not, as yet, on the market. Unofficially Stuart Milne Homes have big plans for the site and they will put up the cash as a mix of payment for the stadium and an interest free loan thus paying off the debt and, in conjunction with Cove, build the new complex. The source of this snippet, who's a shareholder at AFC, also believes they'll be able to stay at the Pitt but if they have to move out it'll be groundshare with DU as its only 65mls as opposed to 104.

In what strikes me as the highly unlikely chances that this should happen, ground sharing would not be an option. It was ok when we did it at Pittodrie but after the Motherwell/Gretna fiasco the SPL said never again.