Inverness CT 0-0 Real Valladolid (FT)

caleyrule

btw anyone know who the 2nd announcer was? (it was Judd at the start then someone else)

Don't know who it was, but the first announcer said "I am not going to even read out the Spanish team"

How offensive was that? No-one expects perfect pronounciation, but to not even attempt is nothing short of racism.

More amateur hour stuff, showing us to be Highland hicks in front of our visitors.

Get a pro in, if the amateurs can't cut it. Get Don back, he would have had a try.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 7

Why do folks expect a pre-season frienly between two teams who are not ready for competitive matches to be anything better than a run out kick about?

Don't know who it was, but the first announcer said "I am not going to even read out the Spanish team"

How offensive was that? No-one expects perfect pronounciation, but to not even attempt is nothing short of racism.

More amateur hour stuff, showing us to be Highland hicks in front of our visitors.

Get a pro in, if the amateurs can't cut it. Get Don back, he would have had a try.

That's a bit OTT is it not?

It is not racism at all, that would have been calling them hose a, hose b......

He was saving himself the embarassment of possibly miscalling the visitting players names. It might have been an idea to have Dani announce the team lines as he wasn't starting?

Amateur is having a swipe at the club when they have done nothing at all which could be interpretted as being in the slightestwrong.

btw anyone know who the 2nd announcer was? (it was Judd at the start then someone else)

Totally agree, made us sound a bunch of bumpkins who couldn't pronounce the simplest of Johnny Foreigner's odd un-English names. Or be bothered finding out how.

And he couldn't even pronounce the name of the club, which I thought was REALLY insulting.

Edited by alimci

Totally agree, made us sound a bunch of bumpkins who couldn't pronounce the simplest of Johnny Foreigner's odd un-English names. Or be bothered finding out how.

And he couldn't even pronounce the name of the club, which I thought was REALLY insulting.

the simplest of Johnny Foreigner's odd un-English names? Such as?

he couldn't even pronounce the name of the club Can you?

I find it strange that the announcers role has become such an office of high esteem that it is envied by the masses. If you want Don back just say so, don't attack others when they are doing their own best.

Why are folk giving Gordy a hard time here for his eminently sensible comments? My pronounciation of foreign names is not good but if I placed myself in a position of introducing guests (which the Spanish players were) then I would make a point of finding out how to pronounce their names properly. Not to do so is simply rude. Not to even try is frankly shameful and reflects badly on the club and on our famed Highland hospitality. I hope club officials apologised to our Spanish visitors for the crass behaviour of the announcer.

• Agree 2

Indeed, it's not like this announcer was picked out from the street at random. He knew weeks ago that this tie was coming up and if he didn't know how to pronounce Vallodolid, then he should of looked it up and learned it. You'd never hear a commentator on the TV say - "Well here comes the Spanish team for tonight's game, but unfortunately they're foreign so I won't tell you who they are cause I don't know how!" It's just very unprofessional, that's what it is.

I guess it's up to the club to do so then and I think they probably did, I didn't see any Spanish supporters in the crowd so it appears that some of our peers are getting offended on behalf of others.

There was a Spanish flag.

I guess it's up to the club to do so then and I think they probably did, I didn't see any Spanish supporters in the crowd so it appears that some of our peers are getting offended on behalf of others.

There was a Spanish flag.

Really?

Okay, I'm going out on a limb here. I'll assume there were a few Real fans in the crowd. Would it be reasonable to assume a fan willing to travel a couple of thousand miles to see his team will know who is in the squad, who's on trial, who's new and how to pronounce their names better than a "Johnny foreigner" that wears a skirt and eats shortbread? I think so, but if you know of any visitting fans who were offended please offer the Hicks humblest apologies.

I personally don't see that it's an issue, yes they could have tried but they could also have offended by trying and failing to get it right.

The announcer is not a professional and we are a small provincial club playing in the top tier of a poor footballing nation.

and on comes....Number Four!

The announcer has to be changed, he clearly was out of his depth the other night and the comments about him being cringe-worthy are true. Its clearly not his best effort if he didnt research how to say the names of players and the team. To be perfectly honest, it would have been less embarrasing having no announcer at all!

:_talktalktalk:

So the only position we need to fill is that of stadium announcer and then we'll succeed?

:_thumbdown:

I was embarrassed by the whole PA set up for this game, what must our Spanish guests have thought? We appeared no better than some amateur, small time team, a lot like C*unty, living a dream. Surely it not beyond the abilities of the stadium management team to get the installed PA system up and running. I would have thought that that was a priority for health and safety reasons alone.

Still they appear to have few if any concerns for the wellbeing of the paying customers, shabby catering facilities, peeling paintwork and a main stand that fails in every respect to provide covered seating for the majority of customers.

Of course this has all been well thought out by the board. After all spending money to look after punters, who will put up with the poor conditions in order to support their team, is foolish in the extreme.

I know money is tight but this continual neglect of what is after all the main source of income for the club is outrageous.:_angry2:

JEE WHIZZZZZ and the season hasn't started yet. If this is a sample of what we are to expect on the forum, the players are going to have perform to the highest standards. We will need to be taken over by the chinese at least they could give us some varitey on the pie front.

The stewards will need to wear top hat and tails and be everso polite.

Come on guys this is football Inverness style, we clap when we notice something good as we did on Tuesday night!!!!!!!!

• Agree 3

Agree with bigman. I think this is getting a bit out of hand and to call it racist if frankly in my opinion ridiiculous. Judd is not our regular announcer and is only doing it cos no one else wants to. I think the 2nd guy may be the new announcer but we'll just have to wait and see. The season hasnt started guys give things a chance eh!

I reckon the club should swallow their pride and ask Don to be the announcer again. at least he was interested and fired up for the gig. Speaking of which...has CaleyD gone into hiding...i dont think i have seen a post from him on the new site?

• Agree 1

It wasn't just the Spanish players names these geezer got wrong, it was some of the ICT ones too! He seemed to have trouble at times pronouncing Gil Blumenshtein, Kenny Gillet and at one point last season referred to Thierry Gathuessi as Fairy Gattusso!

There was a problem with the PA system for the Queens Park game, it was unable to be fixed in time for the Real Villadolid game, hopefully it will be working again in time for the Antwerp game on saturday. The guy that did the Second half on tuesday is to take over from Jud. Jud does his best when he's asked to fill in, thats all that can be asked of him.As for the anouncement of the wrong number for the sub, they were on the other side of the pitch, unless they had binoculars im sure it was a strain on the eyes. The second guy on tues made an effort to pronounce the spainish players names and im sure if it was his first time he would have been nervous. surely we as fans can give the guy a chance????

There was a problem with the PA system for the Queens Park game, it was unable to be fixed in time for the Real Villadolid game, hopefully it will be working again in time for the Antwerp game on saturday. The guy that did the Second half on tuesday is to take over from Jud. Jud does his best when he's asked to fill in, thats all that can be asked of him.As for the anouncement of the wrong number for the sub, they were on the other side of the pitch, unless they had binoculars im sure it was a strain on the eyes. The second guy on tues made an effort to pronounce the spainish players names and im sure if it was his first time he would have been nervous. surely we as fans can give the guy a chance????

I don't in any way blame Jud, he is to be commended for his best endeavours. I do however wonder at the competence of the person who allowed the club to look like it lacks professionalism.

I am very proud of this club, as are many posters on this forum, but when I see it being let down, 3 days to fix a PA etc, I can't help but be concerned.:ictscarf: